1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Nouveau Collection

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by p1afff, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Thala

Thala NI Product Owner

this should be more a present to the community than beeing advertisement.

2. Brett Lavallee

Brett Lavallee NI Product Owner

You should be fine.
    The rule helps keep the library free from spam.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

4. MatthewFriedrichs

MatthewFriedrichs NI Product Owner

First off, the legal team at NI is great. They are fast, efficient, and write very clear terms that are easy to understand and follow. I find it hard to believe that anyone using any NI product could find fault with them! Or the team in general as everyone I have met has been very nice and friendly.

Second off, these arm-chair/forum/wannabe lawyers and their downer attitude about laws they are completely ignorant of are the bane of many, many professions. Due to the continued animosity in this thread, I have removed all of my Reaktor based work. People who bought Lyrebird or Wave Splicer will get a free update to a comparable Rack synth when it is done, but I will no longer make products that encourage the end user to modify the source code and share their creations. It is more obvious than ever to me that common sense does not want to be followed. The last result of this is that I would really appreciate it if any project using any of my Reaktor work would be kept private to the individual that made it. No uploads, no sharing, no confusion of ownership. Simple.

I did find it deeply offensive that people would even insinuate that I would not want people to use what I built to make something of their own. It still eats me up to this day that my blocks were not used in more User Library patches, but that no longer matters because I don't want that now. You got what you wanted.

Making cool synths for this platform has invited much more negativity than positivity into my life. That isn't to say that the few very awesome people I have met were not worth the trouble. In the end, axing all Reaktor work and future free and opensource projects will get rid of these individual drains that make designing and supporting quality products more difficult for me.

Now before you go thinking that all the people who donated to me were great, they weren't. I'll even give you a small teaser. The individual that donated the most to me, offered me a job at their company. It turns out they didn't really pay people what was agreed to in writing. The worst instance of this is the time they brought in someone from another country to manage part of the project. However, the owner did not pay them. When the employee brought up the fact that they were about to be homeless in America, the owner walks out into the office in front of everyone and says something to the effect of "Employee X from country Y is complaining that they are not going to be able to pay rent. That's pretty funny!" This is one of the most appalling things I've ever seen one human do to another human. Bring them to a new country, and then laugh at the prospect of making them homeless. There are many other gems, but I will never forget that.

I will have to be honest. After that whole thing, my view of the Reaktor community was irreversibly degraded.

PS: Every product has a point where it plateaus. That means the product will not be downloaded by future users. Nouveau had been sitting at 11.7k downloads for several months. What this means is that by removing it, around 80 new users a year are lost. Put another way, over 99% of everyone who wanted it over the next 10 years already has it. I will no longer be responding to this thread. Happy Patching!

• Like Like x 1
  5. bmanic

bmanic NI Product Owner

You have the right to do whatever you want with your creations but letting it get to your head when people criticize that decision is a bit silly. I'm sorry to hear about the really negative experiences you've had but how that's tied to your decision still doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Sounds to me more like something a certain cartoon character would say or a toddler at the sandbox grabbing his toys and saying "You can't play with me any more because Jimmy is being mean!". That kind of reasoning only manifests more problems (which is what most people learn while playing in a sandbox.. as a toddler).

As Evil Dragon said, you could have just put a clear disclaimer on the User Library page and simply ignore everything related to your creation. Can't see how anything would have changed really.. if it wasn't in demand all your problems related to the collection would have gone away by themselves, no? Now instead you've created this negative impact instead and confused potential interested explorers who, if motivated enough, will find this very thread from who knows how far in the future. There are still people downloading things that were uploaded to the User Library more than a decade ago. My point is: I can't understand at all what there would have been to lose to just leave it all be. Your explanations don't make much sense.

Not sure if you considered how the internet works or how many websites and youtube videos there are out there praising your creations and providing now non-working links. Sure, it should be their responsibility to say that the links don't work any more and perhaps should include a statement from yours truly. Still, this kind of behaviour goes against the general way things work in life.. once creations are out there it's sort of silly to try to cut it all off especially considering how the Streisand effect is a very real thing. Most people will view this as a selfish act even though it technically is not. Unfortunately reality doesn't usually follow logic so that's the feeling people will end up with. It creates bad vibes in general.

People reading this (obviously not you whom I'm addressing as you said you wouldn't respond to this thread any more) may wonder how I got to this topic and decided to reply even though it's several months old: I tried to figure out why a friend of mine couldn't download your collection as she just got Reaktor and stumbled upon various videos and websites mentioning it. So I decided to find out. What a bummer.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jue

jue NI Product Owner

Breaking my silence for letting all know that Mr. Friedrichs now sells the original Nouveau Collection and some other stuff, including a bet about his future releases for 200$, written two hundred $. Sorry but what a nice person?

7. Thala

Thala NI Product Owner

really?
    link?
    have visited his gumroad two weeks ago and it was completly emtpy.
    all products removed.

8. jue

jue NI Product Owner

9. Thala

Thala NI Product Owner

well thats way more than only the collection for 200bucks.

10. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

How do you feel with the "every software synthesizer I have ever made or will ever make with free updates forever" ? Difficult to tell...

11. Thala

Thala NI Product Owner

suprisingly i have no feelings at all about this.
    its just a deal that doesnt fit my needs. no vcv rack on my side.
    and if i ever decide to jump into vcv i will most likely buy that blamsoft expanse osc while downloading vcv.
    missing that one from reason!
    blocks is enough for my patching needs. on top i can mod missing features (sometimes).

12. jue

jue NI Product Owner

The blamsoft vcv modules are free now

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Catman Dude

Catman Dude NI Product Owner

Just hopped on the Lyrebird's wings recently, and am really enjoying the flight! So I want to raise the ante on what you have said here, exiannyc.
    I had seen David Coffin's very informative and provocative videos about Lyrebird on youtube, but when I came here to planet rotKaer Matthew had already removed his creations. I didn't know how to find them until recently. For anyone reading this before this month, March 2019, ends, a huge treasure of Matthew Friedrichs's work is available from FriedrichsAudio... something called EverythingForever! for what is, given the content, an extremely reasonable sum. I wouldn't normally be plugging Reaktor work that one has to pay for, but honestly, these are fantastic blocks and ensembles, and the amount of time and effort that goes into them clearly is formidable. People who do this kind of work deserve our support, or at least my support.
    Now I want to say a few things about the flexibility of Lyrebird, because I think the concepts are eminently useful to other builders, including me as I become better at the difficult task of creating valid DSP/Reaktor structures.
    Lyrebird has a very flexible architecture, on numerous fronts, but there are two I want to mention. The first is the use in both its oscillators (we might call them Carrier and Mod, a West Coast feel pervades, yes) of an Xfade option, via 'Timbre' knobs, between internally stored waveforms and any samples the user might want to combine them with. Drag and drop your sample and let fly. (I think the samples hold up to 4 seconds of audio at 44.1 Khz.) Maybe this has been done plenty of times before, but I find the resulting variety of source-sound and the keen tools for tuning in the waveforms and precision Xfade points, in service of stunning combinations, musically inspiring.

The other striking feature I want to mention is the wealth of modulation possibilities available. There are 8 available modulation sources internally, as well as external inputs to substitute for these if so desired.
    Watch David Coffin's youtube videos if you want to get a better idea about the delights of Lyrebird.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  14. dcoffin

dcoffin NI Product Owner

O Yeah.

Just heard about this from Matthew myself, and I'm so pleased to see it already news here:) Here's a quick summary of what's now available:

All Friedrichs Audio VCV Rack plugins - Floats, Voltage Tracker, Hot Bunny, SID OSC 64, Dr. Res, Ballot Bunny, and Devil's Hand

A Preview of my Albatross plugin set for VCV Rack

Lyrebird - A Westcoast performance instrument for Reaktor compatible with all Reaktor Blocks.

Over 100 Reaktor Blocks - 24 unreleased Blocks, all Multiverse Blocks from Lyrebird, every one of my commercial Reaktor Blocks, and the original Nouveau Collection.

And coming up for VCV Rack, via PM to me today:

"A 16 voice polyphonic version of Lyrebird for VCV Rack I will be making. Yes, it will use the fake wires, but a polyphonic Lyrebird is worth the wires. No idea if it will support samples yet. I honestly think that sample hunting gets in the way of using Lyrebird for most people. I already have the wave folder code done, and it sounds wonderful. The real issue for it is deciding what modulators to include, but that is the fun part for me."

Of course this is not for everyone, but personally, I've found Matthew's work to be absolutely at the very highest level in innovation, in inspiration, and support, and will always do whatever I can do in my own limited way to support his wish to continue doing what he does so well, not as a hobby, as so many others are fortunate enough to be able to do, but as a for-reasonable-reimbursement enterprise. Jazzed!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Catman Dude

Catman Dude NI Product Owner

David,
    Amen to all that.
    And thanks for the snaps!

16. Aaron McPherson

Aaron McPherson NI Product Owner

Somewhat relevant to this discussion is a post over on VCV Rack forums: https://community.vcvrack.com/t/rel...are-commercial-exceptions/3161/160?u=aaronmcp

It appears that Matthew Friedrichs has been banned from the VCV Facebook group for numerous incidents, including angering Tony Rolando of Make Noise for cloning one of his modules without permission (this, not “user” requests, was the reason for the panel change).

I don’t know the whole story, but his behavior does not appear to be exclusive to the Reaktor platform. It’s a shame, because most builders are lovely people.

17. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

I'd say if he didn't respect other people's IP, why should we respect his request not to reupload NC to the UL? I have the 73 files version (without the second Neon filter, whatever difference does that make) :D

(Also, there's no EverythingForever at that gumroad link anymore.)

18. Laureano Lopez

Laureano Lopez NI Product Owner

idk, it all feels like way too muddy water right now... may be better to just let the whole thing rest for a good while

19. Brett Lavallee

Brett Lavallee NI Product Owner

That would be against NI’s TOS for the UL. It is strange and disappointing to see an NI employee encouraging this behavior.

20. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Brett, ED (Mario?) is a moderator only - not part of NI.