1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Numark Total Control : Don't Bother

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by deeplfo, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deeplfo

deeplfo NI Product Owner

Hi everyone,
    We'll I just have to say that the Numark Total Control is a complete dud.

Summary:
    - The unit doesn't work as advertised, i.e. with full blown T3 it's completely useless. None of the LEDs work. Numark claims that the bi-directional midi communication was only made available in the T3LE app they ship with the unit, and basically said it's up to NI to put a fix into latest full blown T3.

- On my unit the Deck A play button didn't respond to anything. Whether it was preset to send a midi message, or when I tried to have it be recognized in Learn mode, it wouldn't work. It didn't even work with the accompanied software apps.

- Testing in full blown T3, the device wouldn't show up with its proper name, but as some generic USB Audio Device.

- The overall size is ok, but you get a sense that things are a bit cramped. It's didn't have a very good feel to it.

- The faders and knobs are a bit too flimsy imo.

- It was nice that it could run on USB power.

Overall, it was a big disappointment. I was looking forward to a compact controller that doesn't cost a ton. And the latest review in Computer Music on the Vastex VCI-100 is not good at all.

The search continues.

mohsen

2. harry_Tf

harry_Tf Forum Member

its nice to know that numark is still pumping out the same quality product as they always have. i haven't liked a numark product since they got bought out in the early 90's.

3. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Hmmm well thats a shame... But thanks Harry for the up-front insight, its most valuable info to have.

Seems like the problems are not insurmountable but things like buttons not working should not be present in the first place.

Phil

4. deeplfo

deeplfo NI Product Owner

I also have a gripe with NI on this whole LE thing...

When I was testing the Numark with the LE version, the first thing you see is the dialog box encouraging you to purchase the full blown T3 app. But they fail to tell you that if you do that none of the LEDs will work on the unit. That's very dishonest imo. If you know you're going to have incompatibilities, then be honest and don't force people with false advertising.

mohsen

5. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I'll pass this comment along, such limitations should be called out.

Phil

6. deeplfo

deeplfo NI Product Owner

Thanks. I think that's the right thing to do.

mohsen

7. Max Livingstone

Max Livingstone NI Product Owner

why? im really really happy with my unit.

8. deeplfo

deeplfo NI Product Owner

The review in CM complained that the unit is heavy and large, expensive for what you get, and too cramped.

What's your experience like? Also, do you use it with the full blown version of T3? Any issues that you have to implement work-arounds?

Thanks,
    mohsen

9. Max Livingstone

too large but too cramped? hm...
    last saturday i had my first gig with the vci. during the night i had a couple of drinks, and at about 4am i was pretty drunk (it was a private party at a club we rented, so i HAD to drink ;)), but i never had any problems to find the right button, move the right fader or turn the right knob.

it is heavy, indeed, but its also rocksolid. many people complain about plastiktoys (hercules, behringer, also numark...). well, this is definetly not a toy!

i'm using it on a custom built laptopstand (costs about 80€ and a couple of hours designing and assembling it) and the whole thing doesn't take more than 40x30 cm of space in the booth. (which is about 16 x 12 inches)

right now im having traktor (full) 3.2.1 on my laptop and a slightly modfied tks (took me 5 minutes to adjust it).
    running smooth an without any problems.
    i had the often mentioned "stiff wheel" issue, but with a screwdriver it was fixed in about 15 minutes.
    as im not a scratch dj i didn't try the tks modified by paddydj yet but he and some others seem to be very happy with it.

there are some problems with the device. yes. but these can be solved within an hour. vestax should fix these asap, so customers are not forced to fix them by themselfes.
    and the unit is not cheap, indeed. but after last saturday i really think, its worth the money (continental europe: 449€)

10. deeplfo

deeplfo NI Product Owner

Thanks for that.

mohsen

11. djdivide

djdivide NI Product Owner

Ok, but what if, say, you were off to the USA from the UK and could therefore get one half-price?

At £125, would it make sense as a purchase? I like the look of the Total Control, and like the idea of a light weight, fully featured controller that isn't too big (like the VCI-100).

Answers on a forum...

12. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

what exact version of T3 do you have?

13. deeplfo

deeplfo NI Product Owner

T3 3.2.1

mohsen

14. DJ Freshfluke

AFAIK in this version, you should be able to setup the lights.
    it's done via hotkeys - please contact the support on help here!

15. deeplfo

deeplfo NI Product Owner

What hotkeys enable bi-directional midi between T3 and the Total Control?

thx,
    Mohsen

16. DJ Freshfluke

you assign the same midi hotkey twice - once normal, then duplicate and choose control type output.

17. rocdollar

rocdollar NI Product Owner

Interesting review... what did the VCI review not like about it?

I just hope they do a version without the daft jog wheels.

18. deeplfo

deeplfo NI Product Owner

I don't get what you are saying. Are you saying for each light under the control of midi you have to set two hotkeys for it? Not a very scalable solution! Or do you mean there is a global control to get bi-directional midi communication started?

Can you be more specific?

thanks,
    mohsen

19. deeplfo

deeplfo NI Product Owner

I don't get it. Are you saying for each light under the control of midi you have to set two hotkeys for it? Not a very scalable solution! Or do you mean there is a global control to get bi-directional midi communication started?

Can you be more specific?

thanks,
    mohsen

20. Max Livingstone

have a look mate.

http://www.djsmex.co.uk/T3TKS/6/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.