Offsetting Hits by Milliseconds

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by musicsoul, Jan 2, 2013.

1. musicsoul

musicsoul Member

Hi,

This may be a silly question and I may have missed it in the Maschine Manual but is it possible to Offset Note Hits by Milliseconds in Maschine?

I know there is a Note nudge feature, but I'm more interested in a feature that literally nudges Notes by milliseconds.

Thanks for reading

2. trux

trux NI Product Owner

well, grid > off and nudge left/right does a tiny tiny nudge, but if you need exactly 1 millisecond, maybe u can edit the sample start time.

3. musicsoul

musicsoul Member

Thanks Trux. Do you know the logic behind how much it will nudge the note with the grid off? I'm assuming there must be some logic to it?

Yeah I was thinking of moving back the sample start point, but I suppose that only gives you the flexibility of nudging back late as opposed to early.

4. trux

trux NI Product Owner

heh true dat. not sure, except to say that it is a very small nudge, so if you can go by your ears that can help. if all else fails i bash out a recording of hihats or check against the grid, and see how that lines up with my other hits :/

5. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

When nudging or mouse-editing, the resolution is 128ppq when the grid is off.

Maschine's resolution for realtime input with grid off is 960 ppq.

6. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Small correction. We were told 128 ppq for editing early on but it's actually 96 ppq for edits. Meaning, 96 nudge positions per quarter note with grid off.

7. Two Soldiers

Two Soldiers Forum Member

You can make edits finer than 96ppq if you go into step sequencer mode and adjust the swing knob whilst you hold down the pad represnting the hit you wish to shift. Using this method with grid off I believe the resolution is 960 ppqn.

Practically I usually prefer do such adjustments with the grid on 16. The hardware will then indicate adjustments in terms of hundredths of 16th notes (a resolution of 400 ppqn) which is a high enough resolution for most musical needs and I find very easy to get my head around.

Because Maschine note adjustments always relate to the tempo of the track you need to do calculations yourself if you need to know millisecond values of these timing adjustments.

8. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Indeed. Did not know about step mode res. On my mk2 though it moves in 0.2 increments and skips odd numbers. That would be 480 but not sure if that is just the way the MK2 wheel works.

9. Two Soldiers

Two Soldiers Forum Member

Yeah, I'm using a mk1 so perhaps there is some difference between how the models work? With grid off mine does go up in increments of 0.1 and from 1.0 to 97.0 is the first quarter note, giving 960 ppqn.

10. Bante

Bante Forum Member

You all probably already know this but when I need to offset something, I select the note, then push the select button, then rotate position knob while holding down shift.

11. musicsoul

musicsoul Member

Thanks Two Soldiers and everybody else. This is quite an interesting point for me and may point to the fact that sometimes when I've done "Note Nudges" in the past it kind of screws up the groove of the track in terms of timing/tightness of the groove. I'm very interested to know how the Note adjustments relate to the tempo of the track and what calculations need to be performed? Is there a basic formula to follow?

12. Airyck

Airyck NI Product Owner

13. musicsoul

musicsoul Member

Thank you, this is a great little plugin, I was playing around with it last night after downloading it. :)