Ok sold all NI hardware

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by certifiedbeatz, Feb 20, 2018.

1. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

Its not that bad really at all i was keeping studio just for that reason .. there is still a market for the used price point tho
    Yes definitely
    No i believe there 2 now ..anyway basic math 2+0 still equals zero so i guess there 2 zeros.. that have nothing else to do
    Cool i hope he likes it.. its a bit old school but its gets it done..

This was not a post to diss NI i have done enough of that in the past im still a customer just gave up on making a main peice in my studio and collecting dust.. good to sell while they have value..

2. certifiedbeatz

I have been reading that alot about the live.. but die hards dont complain i guess.. again its old school but its away from the keyboard.. and it works in your daw in control mode all the things i asked of NI they got it done out the gate.. and all the updates they didn't take anything away and hardware with the recent update is snapper ...

3. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

Yeah the recent update fixed some stuff. It’s definitely a bit snappier.

However let’s not kid ourselves here the software is still very undercooked and while people want to bag on NI for something or other Maschine is for the most part rock solid as in its not crashtastic nor does it exhibit overly weird behavior.

After having gotten the Live and seeing the state it was in (this was before 2.1) I decided to cut NI some slack. This stuff is hard. We can all wax arm chair developer about how easy it is to do xyz but actually doing it is a whole different thing. However that doesn’t change (for me) that what NI got right they got very right from the gate. Having the two sitting on my desk right now makes that pretty clear to me.

That being said the same can be said about Akai. What they got right they got very right as well. You can’t even compare Maschine (any of them) against the Live build quality wise. The Live is built beautifully. No loose knobs or weird pad behavior. It’s built like a tank and it’s heavy like one. The software is what fails it.

I’ve been comparing the two in my head for about a week and I could probably write a book on what I think both Maschine and the Live do right and wrong imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 6
  4. certifiedbeatz

5. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

i had an akai sampler for a few hours once, i returned it. it had a lot of bells and whistles but the audio quality was lacking, the 24 bit sounded like 12 bit. wound up getting an EMU one and using halion, and later switched to kontakt which gave me the same great quality.

yes NI is a pioneering company, they experiment here and there but they really hit the mark with products like maschine and kontakt. kontakt is now the standard for software samplers, and maschine is becoming that for groove production.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. DA RIPPER

DA RIPPER NI Product Owner

I haven't updated to 2.1 yet but i plan to later this week.... I was waiting for being able to have multi plugins windows open

7. LEGENDARYFINS

LEGENDARYFINS NI Product Owner

I'm just waiting for Akai's software to get where it needs to be. I haven't seen the X in person, but I did get to mess around with the Live. Hardware wise it was impressive, and the pads were amazingly good IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  8. certifiedbeatz

Software does enough nothing over the top.. you have to see the X in person pure beast well made... plus the firmware update makes standalone a breeze..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

Hey good luck, you have to use what works for you. I did a cross-grade purchase from Maschine to Komplete 11u so I wouldn't sell my software. I rarely use it but the fault is mine I don't sample just needed a drum machine. In hind site, something like the Tempest would have been a better fit.

NI, on the other hand, has pushed people away, the perception is they will over promise and never deliver and that frustrates me and a lot of the more active Maschine users who have been around for a long time. The new guys don't see this and I hope they don't have to experience it but it sure seems to be a trend.

• Like Like x 2
  10. certifiedbeatz

I habd a long akai background before maschine in 2013 or 14 i bought studio when ever it was released.. loved it then came the bugs that never went away and capabilites that were never met but promised.. i will keep the software for my old beats... unless the new studio is hardware base and software free like the X or live im pretty much done.. dont get
    Me started on the komplete kontroller.. wasted software pretty controller .. just bad software development with the controllers

• Like Like x 1
  11. LEGENDARYFINS

LEGENDARYFINS NI Product Owner

A lot of Elektron's stuff looks cool as hell. I keep going back and forth about picking up a RYTM and an Octatrack, but the price and menu diving/learning curve keeps making me hesitate.

12. crushkd001

crushkd001 NI Product Owner

With all the new Expansion talk and Loops and Stems.....Skins, you might be onto something;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. OhulahanBass

OhulahanBass NI Product Owner

Yikes, that is some terrible math, no wonder you had issues understanding Maschine with those addition skills...

JK, I'm sure you know if you add 2 to zero you get 2 and there is likely a joke I am not getting here. I am interested in picking up a Live to see what the MPC thing is all about, seems there are a lot of annoying bugz but they are getting fixed gradually. Whats holding me back is the unproductivity of learning a new workflow and lack of power when it is in standalone. I wish it could at least operate at 48kHz so I would not have to resample or dither anything while working on music for video. I still have not figured out how MPC handles tethered projects at higher sample rates when opened in standalone.

14. GameOfDrones

GameOfDrones New Member

Good luck trying to get MIDI timing to work properly with any MPCs from the Renaissance onward. MPC R was my last purchase from Akai until they figure out once and for all how to get MIDI timing worked out. If you're serious about what you do you need to eventually turn those 4 and 8 bar loops into some kind of song arrangement and here's where Akai fails miserably when trying to sync to the computer and/or external gear. The MPC 4000 is still the king when it comes to MIDI timing. Even the MPC X doesn't come close and like I said, timing is everything when arranging with loops and and external devices. No thanks. Akai is dead to me until they hire some programmers who know what they're doing.

15. certifiedbeatz

I did mess up meant to say equals 2 now u have 2 zeros

16. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

one of the advantages of using software for samples it that you have more control over the AD/DA by way of the sound card you are using. some hardware does not have very good converters, which is very important if you plan on recording this as an analog source.

one of the disadvantages is that we see with kontakt and updates. often the new libraries are not backwards compatible and require updates which may render your OS and computer obsolete, when all you wanted is a basic sampler, and often these updates have nothing to do with the functions in the libraries, but other unrelated issues.

17. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

I came up on MPC’s. Used the 3000, 2000xl and the 4000. Jumped ship after that for various reasons. The X and after playing around with Live last night really has me wanting to get one. I’m torn though because I’ve fallen in love with Ableton and the new update to 10 has me wanting to just keep it simple and get the Push 2. Decisions, decisions..

18. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

Lol just wait for when he does something wrong and then "borrow" his MPC as punishment!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

Man I'm already scheming! He's letting me use it on the days he's at work. I honestly think those who bash these MPC's haven't really had ample time to really use one. I made a simple beat with vinyl samples and stock instruments in under 45 minutes. It's a fun and dope piece for sure. Love how portable it is and the fact it's battery powered for when you wanna just chill outside or not be plugged in to anything.

• Like Like x 2
  20. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Thats hilarious and amazing at the same time, usually kids try to play with their parents stuff in your case it's the other way around.
    When i have a son, i hope he gets addicted to modular synths so i can borrow his stuff :D

I never bashed in akai but i swore to myself i would never own any MPC ever again after i got the 2500 (when Numark bought Akai), that thing was bug-central and only had a couple of updates, literally like 2 updates... lol. The only thing that made it kind of useful for me was JJOS. But thats me, every other hip-hop producer i knew back then that owned one loved it to death, they used to have quite the placebo effect on people.

• Like Like x 1