Ok sold all NI hardware

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by certifiedbeatz, Feb 20, 2018.

1. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

That's the reason I left AKAI.. The 4000 was dope but wasn't finished, and was buggy. After they(AKAI) acknowledged the issues, they went silent and when it became NUKAI(mpc-forums heads know the deal), instead of addressing those issues as promised, they dropped support for it and put out the 2500. Kinda like what's going on here at NI a little. MPC's have always been my favorite but after that I swore never again. Funny now because I'm reconsidering it. Always loved the MPC workflow too and was confused when I switched over to Maschine for a long time lol.

2. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

For real though. Akai/Numark should never make headphones or audio interfaces ever again.

About the NI hardware, use whatever makes you happy.

3. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Did the renaissance get updated to 2.0 software?

4. Crazy Lou

Crazy Lou NI Product Owner

You have to pay for it if you a REN user...early adopter. I sold my REN. 2.0 will be like 1.0. Many new features added, but alll buggy as hell. They don't fix the broken, they just add more broken stuff to it. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

Do you have a Youtube channel? I like seeing people using different setups. I would really be curious to see how you work now, since I already know you are very familiar with Maschine.

6. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

dont think so....tbh its not such a huge jump from the first version. V1 was buggy as fook for quite a while, v 2 isnt starting out life like that. But I rarely open the software. Im enjoying the Live though, I play it nearly every night since I bought it in November, best piece of gear Ive bought in a while, and the worst as I never open my Daw or finish anything lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I can imagine it's quite cool having a device which is so portable and capable at the same time.
    What's it like compared to iPad apps , say , like Korg gadget and a controller.

8. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

I have not uploaded anything to youtube.. maybe soon but I sold my NI hardware
    o

• Like Like x 1
  9. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

funny enough I was a app addict for a while, and bought the nanokey studio and the nano control studio...but I psychologically can not quite get my head around it being just a ipad...Ive got a tonne of portable options, or I have had over the years, looking for that one thing I can drag around anywhere and covered a certain series of criteria. Everything I bought was missing a key feature or two until this..for me its perfect

buuuuut...its not perfect for everyone, and its not completely bug free though they did just update the firmware last week to address many issues

I generally just take a piece or two out of the "studio" and sit with it and the MPC at night when the kids are down. If NI came out with a competitive product Id definitely be interested...Im ditching nothing of NI just now but I rarely use any software at the moment (all my machine expansions are in the Live, you can stick your own hard drive in)

• Like Like x 2
  10. DA RIPPER

DA RIPPER NI Product Owner

Yes 2.0 is open for all Mpc (software units) devices as a paid upgrade now (older units). I bought the upgrade,and i really like it they did fix alot of bugs !
    The first two things I noticed was the timing & audio got better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

no bigger learning curve than maschine or anything else with any depth so do yourself a favour and discard the myths mate, the cost is justified by the build and the endless possibilities - it may seem high but these things last and last and just keep giving to your creative juices so in reality the cost isn't so great. Scenes on the rytm for example is just bonkers and using a fader to swipe stuff in and out internally or externally on the OT is total freedom for your mind, i will not bother doing a review as everything is out there for you already

owner, experienced, trust me, make the jump you won't regret it

12. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I think that you misunderstood. I'm fully aware that you sold all of your NI hardware. I want to see your current "NI" free workflow so that I can understand why you abandoned it all. I know the MPC X is a serious piece of hardware, but honestly, I haven't really seen a lot of people who were fluid on both Maschine and the MPC X make a detailed comparison. For the most part, people are in one camp or the other, and they're pretty much close minded about it. I'm always open minded enough to listen to both arguments.

• Like Like x 2
  13. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

Depends on style of music i have never seen the product.. sounds good glad u like it

Ah i see. Well i started out with a MPC 3000 back n the day and moved to the 2000 then the 2500.. i was use to song mode and 8 anolog outputs the quantize and just the akai workflow.. I bought machine studio i believe when it first was released.. it was a hugh learning calls sequences called scene the updates also the swing didnt sound authentic. To me maschine is more POP and Dance controller. I will say once you learn the hardware its ok.extremley buggy and updates were so painful and lack of real support. I have made about 300 beats it and frustrated every week when 3rd part expansions would dissapear.. i wish i would have just stuck it out akai im use to programming beats and having my neck snap from the solid timing from old akai hardware..

14. Bertotti

Bertotti NI Product Owner

I had an analog keys for less than a month. I really want another but at the time some unexpected bills forced a return. I got more done on it in that time then I did in Maschine. Something about it clicked. I now have a minilogue which is fun but no replacement for either maschine or the analogue keys. I would consider the Elektron stuff if I had the cash.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LEGENDARYFINS

LEGENDARYFINS NI Product Owner

Thanks for the feedback. Yea, there's a very good chance I'll be picking up some Elektron gear soon. Kind of leaning towards picking up some more hardware in general.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

it already did.. i have that doorstop sitting on a shelf.

NI so far in 8 years has clearly demonstrated it has no idea it understands, handle and can manage midi.. This in itself is the #1 attribute for a standalone sequencing box anything.. absolutely ANY standalone groovebox/production system/sequencer from 10-15 years ago runs rings around Maschine in this respect.

ffs cannot even use more than one midi port on Maschine without destroying midi timing...and NI continually stating Windows is at fault?.. oh please

/end rant lol

17. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

to me it is..

i have 1.8.2 is embedded on a bunch of my DAW projects .. it makes a useful drum pattern sequencer, and worth keeping for the library and the VST..
    the mk1 at its almost zero value is also worth keeping for a random midi controller for some, but in my case, i have midi controllers up the yingyang.. perhaps thats why i am occasionally salty? :D

18. Joca

Joca NI Product Owner

As an Elektron owner, I would advise that the Elektron boxes are very limited compared to Maschine.
    They really come into their own if you want to work OTB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. greavous420

greavous420 NI Product Owner

As someone who went the other way to be here (MPC Studio -> now mk2 mikro and Jam, 'converted' about a year ago) they both have some quality stuff in them. I left during the wait for 2.0 software and dont know if they have changed it but there seemed to be a lot of legacy MPC things which slowed me down. Also if they made a Ren2/non-standalone X I would've lapped it up. As it is, they didnt and I've been enjoying the ease of use of Maschine since.

I see a lot of the same issues here as I did in the MPC forums of people complaining about PDC. Valid argument in many ways but neither is a 'full DAW' so I just export my stems to Reaper to mixdown.

While NI don't seem to give out many updates(general info/going forward plans not software) they don't seem to lie like Akai do. I've only been here a year so feel free to shoot me down on that.

Akai claimed that the 'Vintage Mode' was hardware based on the Ren. Its not. Its just a distortion/saturation preset. They claimed to build 2.0 'from the ground up'. It obviously wasn't although it took long enough that they probably should've. Then the 2.0 release date to name a few I can easily remember.

TLDR: So its a good product just not as polished in some areas and I lost faith in Akai as a brand.

Just my opinion and experiences. I'm sure NI will **** me off soon enough though!

20. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

My first sampler was an ASR 10, but my first sampling Drum Machine was an MPC 3000. When the MPC X and Live were announced, I seriously considered buying one, but then I got nostalgic. My MPC 3000 was stolen a few years back, so I went online, and after an exhaustive search, I found a really nice one from kanamit_mpc from Instagram. I like the look of the new MPC's, but for some reason, I felt like they would never have that old school "crunch". I still like sampling from wax, and maybe I'm just old and nostalgic, but to me, there's nothing that sounds like the initial sample "capture" of one of the Akai samplers from a wax sample. I've been trying to find a nice 12 bit S950 online, but as soon as I find a really clean one, it's sold.

Making the switch over to doing things "in the box" wasn't easy, but now it seems second nature. Actually, when working with my 3000, I find it extremely cumbersome. It's kind of hard to believe how at one time the 3000 was THE sampling drum machine to use. As always, I still keep an open mind. So, who knows, maybe in the future, I'll be making the switch, but for now, I'm completely satisfied with my Maschine and Cubase workflow. When I'm feeling nostalgic, I still have my MPC 3000. Also, I have Live 10 Suite and Push 2, so I can a variety of approaches.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3