Open Letter to the Maschine Community

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Jonas @ NI, May 23, 2016.

1. Jonas @ NI

Jonas @ NI EDU NI Team

Dear Maschine Community,

below you will find an open letter from NI's Director of Products, Florian Schneidmadel. With this letter we want to not only dismiss some of the wild speculation that has been happening on this board, but also start off communication with you - the users - in a more open and frequent matter. This will be an open thread to start with and we invite you to engage in constructive discussion, but while we are monitoring this thread closely we will not be able to address all of your questions immediately. A developer Q&A is planned for June where you will be able to get answers from the Maschine team directly. Thank you for your understanding.

Best wishes,
    Jonas

• Like Like x 17
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jonas @ NI

Jonas @ NI EDU NI Team

Dear Maschine Community,

My name is Florian Schneidmadel and I'm the Director of Products at Native Instruments in Berlin. It's been a long while since we've released some information to the Maschine community about what the team is working on, so I'm going to break the habit, take a step back and share a little info about what's been happening and what the Maschine team has planned.

In 2009, Maschine 1.0 was released with a limited feature set (no MIDI Out and no VSTs!) which nevertheless caught on quickly and was adopted by many artists worldwide as a core element of their creative workflow. Over the years, we continued to grow the feature set, implementing requested features like offline time-stretching and also entirely new things like colouring of Sounds, Groups, Scenes, and Patterns (alongside the MK2 hardware releases). For Maschine 2.0, we rewrote the entire software, bringing it to a modern standard that is the foundation for the future of Maschine. This effort involved three years of development time by the core Maschine team, and it meant we had to catch up on some of the features offered in 1.8 when we released 2.0. After this was done, the team shifted focus to integration with Komplete, improving the browsing experience and integrating the new Komplete Kontrol S-Series keyboard hardware. This involved building Komplete Kontrol, the dedicated software for Komplete Kontrol S-Series keyboards. Feature-wise, this brought Smart Play features like arp & scales, browser favourites and more recently NKS integration to the world of Maschine. On the flip side, there has been less time to concentrate on improving the experience around the core functionality of Maschine and add new features, many of which you’ve been asking for.

The good news is that now the main groundwork for the integration is in place, it is time for us to re-focus on Maschine features and bugs. The entire development team of Maschine is now back on this, and one of the main objectives we took on right away is a major effort in bug fixing and stabilization. Over the next 12 months we'll be bringing a number of free updates which will address some more long-standing issues, but will also push Maschine forward with new and updated features like improved slicing and better host integration when running Maschine as a plug-in, about which we'll speak in a little more detail further down the line. Rest assured that we’re committed to continuing along the path of refining Maschine as an awesome production instrument, and that we are also already working on some bigger features that have been mentioned in discussions here and elsewhere over the past couple of years. We will check in more regularly with the forum and be in touch about these and other developments in the future. Plus next month we'll answer the most frequently asked questions and share some related information from the Maschine team.

In the meanwhile - thanks for your support over the years which has helped to make Maschine what it is today. This year will be exciting for all of us.

On behalf of the whole Maschine team,
    Florian Schneidmadel

• Like Like x 27
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Big Thanks guys!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Tooshka

Tooshka NI Product Owner

Sorry, lots of words, not really saying much "This effort involved three years of development time by the core Maschine team, and it meant we had to catch up on some of the features offered in 1.8 when we released 2.0. After this was done, the team shifted focus to integration with Komplete" things like this are misleading, you are implying that v2 has feature parity with v1.8, IT DOES NOT.
    The main qualm a majority of people has with Maschine is the poor arranger, and you have bypassed that entirely and only mention VST integration and slicing, do you really think that one post now in the forum is going to do anything but make you look like you are trying to save face.

You may think this is harsh, but this is exactly what you have brought upon yourselves, only actions now will do you any favours.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

Great news!

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheAndroid

TheAndroid NI Product Owner

Well that's good news !
    Please make me reconsider my switch to Ableton Push 2, with a better arranger that has real automations, send/return & audio tracks handling ! Any features & bug fixes roadmap that you can publicly share ???

• Like Like x 1
  7. cdash7

cdash7 New Member

Had a feeling we were getting something today. Had hoped it would be the new 2.5 update but I guess this is something . . Don't get me wrong - I love Maschine as is. It just seems we are soooooo overdue for truly groundbreaking update.

8. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

Qualms I have with Tooshka aside, Tooshka is right, you have not addressed the single largest issue going on with Maschine right now in your open letter, which is its SEQUENCER. There has been no concrete information given about updates in almost a year, and this letter is more of the same. Speaking in vague generalities about updates regarding concerns we customers have had on these message boards may sound great, but they don't mean anything. These "updates" can mean anything to any of us since we all have our own issues with Maschine. I'm not expecting you guys to handle every single issue, but some clarity would be nice. We are left to have our imaginations run wild about what your are planning. Are you EVER going to give Maschine a proper sequencer? What is so hard about telling us what your planning?

I hope this comment doesn't come off as rude, but do you guys not read our message boards? Instead of selling us keyboards to make more money off of us, I think we all would just appreciate addressing concerns and grievances for the customers you already have.

I know you guys are working hard and Maschine has many things that make it a great product, but it feels like you don't care about us customers that have already given our hard earned money for a product that (at least some of us) love, and more concerned with gaining new customers....

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

This is definitely a positive step in communication, so I personally appreciate NI for doing this. It should squash a lot grievances and speculations. However, I'm also worried about the prioritization, as the arranger/sequencer is not mentioned and to me is the biggest opportunity in maschine at the moment. (Whereas, I'm sure others will say host integration). Regardless, VST integration is great, and while I'd love to see more slicing features and better host integration , Maschine not having a more flexible and versatile arranger, it will only remain as a limited tool for me, and I'll continue finding other platforms to finish my songs. So my personal request is to focus on improvement of the arranger/sequencer, as well as the automation experience, so maschine can be my go-to platform. Thank you for listening.

• Like Like x 3
  10. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

A HUGE vote of thanks to you guys for even making Maschine available in the first place; I am delighted and astounded by even its current capabilities. And especially the way it can be integrated into Ableton Live as a VST (for those who want Maschine to be a DAW (think elastic audio), just purchase Live - it will be cheaper and easier in the long run, since it is also under continuous development).

In fact, I see a (dimly lit) future in which NI and Ableton form a formal team in some sense.... And I'm waiting to see what Cakewalk has up its sleeve on June 1st...

11. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...it's really good to hear some official word! :thumbsup:

...yeah, judging from the current state I can't help but showing just friendly scepticism...o_O

• Like Like x 2
  12. District Onagi

With all due respect (and I mean it, some people don't mean that when they say it), but why should we have to shell out extra money for Ableton? If you like Ableton and working inside of it, great, but those of us that don't are screwed. Not all DAWS are going to be as easily workable as Ableton in regards to working with Maschine, so let just bypass this talk of VST integration and just make Maschine on it's own a better product. I want a product that can work standalone, without having to route it to another DAW to get the functionality that I want.

Jesus H, At the minimum, people pay 349 to use Maschine, and over a grand for the full experience to use it. Is it so unreasonable to ask for a complete product?

I understand there are users here Like CakeAlex (sorry if I say your name wrong) who had to deal with technology in the past that was vastly inferior, but that's not an excuse. Looking in the past doesn't cut it, the competition is doing better and bigger things at this point. I don't want to go to another product, I want this product to succeed and thrive. But the facts are the facts.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Mason00

Mason00 NI Product Owner

Late May would be NI's normal time to release a Maschine update. Is this open letter replacing that update this month?
    If so I'm extremely disappointed.
    "One of our main objectives we took on right away is a major effort in bug fixing and stabilization."
    Are you kidding me? From browsing the forum from time to time, bug fixes and stabilization are not what's discussed here at large.
    Especially not DAW integration enhancements and more slicing options.
    Using Maschine standalone is its big strength.
    WE NEED A NEW SEQUENCER AND ARRANGER MODE.
    Come on Native Instruments, stop these games. We're smarter than that.

• Like Like x 4
  14. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

So you pay twice (or much more) as much to NI to re-invent the wheel? Especially when Live and Maschine work so well together? (even better, if you have a Push 2) So you pay a little more (remember the price of the first Fairlight?)

The functionality is all there, even if the companies are different (NI has already just said they are working on better integration). And if I'm going to work that way, I don't see a reason simply not to purchase Live even if your other DAW is something else (and Maschine will probably work as a VST in that DAW as well). I simply don't see an issue (with all due respect), other than wanting an unnecessary, complex, and expensive "upgrade" to Maschine for free ..

(and even then, imagine the complaints about the change to workflow.... :)

15. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

For me this letter is useful. Thanks for it. After such a long time that was necessary.
    Waiting for the next updates and the further development.
    For me it's clear that the big things of the Maschine development can't published here now. But I hope there're some in proces right now.

• Like Like x 4
  16. District Onagi

As I've said before, Maschine already costs a significant amount of money, these features should already be included. Asking for (and receiving) a sequencer isn't an unreasonable request. Ableton Live 9.6 suite plus Ableton Push 2 costs 1500 dollars. Maschine Studio costs 1000. Why would NI charge us double to use a proper sequencer? Besides, there has been no mention that this would costs "twice" as much for re-inventing the wheel? That's under the supposition that sequencers never existed.

I (or any other Maschine owner) should not have to buy another DAW to use Maschine properly. Ableton works for you. But we are not you, we all have different tastes. Maschine obviously has as good relationship with Ableton, but for those of us that use different DAWS (if at all, some people only have Maschine) we are left out in the cold when Maschine doesn't integrate as well inside of other DAWS not named Ableton.

Again, just because Ableton works for you, it may not work for other people. People may not like Ableton, people may not have the money to buy Ableton. The more I read this letter, the more it just seems like Maschine is putting a band-aid on the issue to avoid giving us a proper sequencer. Put a sequencer in Maschine and all of this talk would be resolved.

Just because you don't see a need for a more "complex, unnecessary, and expensive" product, it doesn't mean that we don't. In any event, there has been no mention at all that Maschine is planning on charging us a premium for anything. This is all speculation on your part. Also, in any event, you are in the minority in regards to your views on this subject. I'm not saying that your perspective isn't valid, but the fact remains many people want a sequencer, and this is a issue with many of us.

• Like Like x 2
  17. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

@Jonas and Florian - Thankyou for posting. This is a good step forward.

I just have five things to say right now:

a) Please take a look at this:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...-bugs-as-of-maschine-2-4.261276/#post-1418488
    b) It would be nice if we could log bugs in these forums and get response (i.e. customer/staff interaction) in these forums.

c) At Florian Schneidmadel - Please register a forums user account :)

d) Please remove the patterns always looping in scenes limitations.

e) Please improve performance, make the Maschine plugin usable in DAWs (enhancements have been logged elsewhere), also solo and mutes automation keeps cropping up over and over again.

Oh - and please stay away from the DAW red herring. Most of us are quite happy with our existing DAW software.. best to concentrate on what we need yesterday.

Many thanks!

18. megaturap

megaturap New Member

Almost everybody in here shares my opinions. I really dont like the arranger for it isnt detailed and flexible to work on. I'll be waiting for this update patiently.

19. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

I totally agree about fixing sequencer and sampler, but that does NOT spell out DAW which is an entirely different thing. I don't want or need a DAW from NI thanks. There are tons available already on the market.

It's better they fix DAW integration on their plugin, that is making the workflow work well, fix performance, ARA integration, VST3 etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  20. District Onagi

Alex, I'm curious, what to you would be the difference for you between Maschine having a sequencer, and Maschine having a DAW?

I guess for me, when I think of a DAW, I think of something that has both a pattern(step sequencer) and a sequencer where you can layer your audio files/midi files/patterns. Isn't Maschine already 1/2 of that, already having a step sequencer? Also, wouldn't adding a real sequencer turn it into a DAW?

• Like Like x 2