Open Letter to the Maschine Community

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Jonas @ NI, May 23, 2016.

1. megaturap

megaturap New Member

Sorry guys but I want to ask a question. Does Making Maschine a little less detailed DAW causes a big problem? I mean does it take it from its simplicity? I really wonder your responses as a beginner maschine user

2. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

My guess is it's been hard for them to get Maschine up and running properly with a new sequencer... I can't imagine any of this stuff is easy for them to program which probably explains the delay. Either that, or they are NOT going to give us a sequencer at all, or they will just make us wait until Maschine 3.0 (if there even is one) and make us pay for it.

This is all hearsay and my guess I could be totally off with these speculations, just like everybody else on here. That is part of the problem, we are all hanging on the words of this letter that really answers none of our burning questions, and only adds to the speculation.

3. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Maschine is a sequencer and a sampler. Also a plugin client. Everything Maschine does basically is triggered by a MIDI note. That's what makes it a groovebox. It also integrates with DAW's via means of a plugin, and should integrate well with the supplied controller. It should be regarded as nothing more.

When you get into the realms of DAW you are streaming audio from the hard disk. You are also adding in 1000's of extra new features, you are going to complicate the product no end. More bugs and design flaws will be introduced because a huge amount of complexity is introduced. Just compare the Ableton/Pro Tools/Sonar manuals to the Maschine manuals to see what I mean. Go and visit these DAW's forums.

I'm not saying NI should not do a DAW, if NI wants to do it fine but keep it away from Maschine and leave it with a separate team. Those wanting Maschine to be a DAW are basically asking a formula one car to be turned into a jumbo jet however.

Anyway I don't want turn this into a huge debate, this thread will never end we've had huge discussions on other threads,I won't discuss this more because the thread will go wildly off topic.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. District Onagi

I agree, I don't want this to go off topic. I was just curious to see what your perspective on the differences between the two were. Thanks for your explanation.

• Like Like x 2
  5. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Please don't start with this.

6. District Onagi

What?

7. skinswashdc

Read what cake said.

8. District Onagi

I have read what cake said, but you quoted my comment which was addressing another forum members question.

See, this is the problem. This letter has addressed nothing. We have no concrete proof that anything is actually being worked on. No specific bugs have been said that are going to be addressed, sequencer concerns have not been addressed... even the items that the letter specifically mentioned in regards to the improvements are still very vague.

megaturap is asking questions that you're (and frankly all of us) tired of hearing because we haven't had our questions answered. Good if this letter appeases you and others on this forum, but if you really read what this letter is saying, it really says nothing and promises nothing. The lines of communication aren't even open, the author of this open letter sent it to someone else to post it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

It only took 10 posts for that evil acronym to rear itself in this thread. I was hoping it wouldn't because now this will turn into another one of those debates when NI has finally given us open ears. As CakeAlex said, there are tons of those out there that do exactly what they are supposed to do, and they do it a lot better than Maschine. Go find one that works for you, and keep this discussion focused on Maschine as a sampler/sequencer and not whether it is/should/could/will be a "insert acronym here". I'm sure that bridge will be crossed when it needs to, but its definitely not here or now. There are plenty of other threads on this topic.

I personally think the letter is a strong positive, not in the technical sense, but in the general communication sense. It tells us that NI does care about its users and they are trying to improve their communication. While it doesn't give any specific technical details about what they are doing with maschine, it at least gives the community some reassurance that they are trying to make improvements that have been asked for. Its something that in my opinion was long over due , and I'm glad they did it. However, in this particular situation, actions will speak louder.

• Like Like x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. CakeAlexS

We will have to wait 1 to 5 weeks for answers then. Fine by me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Well said.
    Please understand this letter is not meant to answer all questions or specifics. NI are not going to commit to any specific features unless they have a working version they feel confident is near ready enough to release soon. This is more to let us know a hint of background to why we are where we are at today and a vague and general outlook into the future. Just to let us know they are working on improving Maschine and by the sounds of it, starting with some bug fixes.

The DAW integration is an important aspect that does need some attentions because a large portion of user base is not interested in using Maschine's sequencer. I do think the majority do want sequencer improvements first and foremost, so it's no surprise people are upset that has not been mentioned. I think this may be more because they are not ready to reveal anything there yet. As Florian stated, more news will follow this summer so we will get more details.

• Like Like x 8
  12. District Onagi

Your right, Cake and b righteous. I will reserve any more judgements on this until the Q&A. This whole process of waiting without feedback has really tested my patience.

• Like Like x 2
  13. rmaxty

rmaxty Active Member

First and foremost, NI I thank you for this much needed break from silence and communication. However, please take this time as an opportunity to listent to the Machine community and understand that, if you are working on ANYTHING other than the sequencer,arranger, or making Maschine into a functional and exceptional DAW, your efforts will be for nothing and rest assured it will be a complete fail. I already have concers regarding some of the language in the open letter such as (integration) please allow me to help. In damn near every other post you will notice machine useres feeling towards the need for a BETTER ARRANGER, SEQUENCER, OR DAW. No where, and I will repeat do you see or read the we (the maschine community) are looking to integrate absolutely nothing. THAT'S NOT WHAT WE WANT, WE DO NOT WANT TO USE MACHINE AS A VST WE WANT TO USE IT STANDALONE, BY ITSELF LIKE WE KNOW THE CAPACITY IS THERE TO DO. I did not intend for this to a long winded rant so I will sum this up. Please get this right!

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  14. CakeAlexS

By saying 'WE' over and over again you seem to think you are representing me and everybody else. You are not the trade union rep here :) Please voice your own opinions not everybody else's.

I don't want it to be a DAW and I've already stated why. Just my opinion (and many others who I don't represent) and please note I didn't need to keep my typewriter in CAPS LOCK to express it :)

• Like Like x 5
  15. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

I think some of you are taking this to mean host integration and slicing is the main or only thing they are working on. I take it to be in addition to other long standing issues.

16. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

Why not? Maschine is what it is, you knew this when you bought it. It wasn't a daw and it still isn't.

• Like Like x 5
  17. skinswashdc

That's right. Been saying that for ages.

18. PooFox

PooFox NI Product Owner

IMO, mostly Maschine just needs better DAW integration. Too many settings must be constantly and manually changed for effective use inside a DAW. We shouldn't have to set up MIDI IO every single time we change a pad or kit. Very tedious and confusing currently, should be set and forget. But thanks for the effort, NI. We definitely thought you weren't listening...

19. adic27

adic27 NI Product Owner

real time time stretch and a better arranger please!

• Like Like x 2
  20. rmaxty

rmaxty Active Member

No problem, whatever you say man

• Like Like x 1