1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Open Reaktor VST with ensemble already loaded?

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by D. Vyd, Nov 21, 2019.

1. D. Vyd

D. Vyd NI Product Owner

Is there any way to open Reaktor in a DAW with an ensemble already loaded? I'm using Reaper and would like to avoid (or automate) file-->open-->select-ensemble.

2. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Da'ud, you can use in daw more instances of Reaktor. arachnaut realized on his monster machine IMO 15(!?) instances with the same ens.

3. D. Vyd

D. Vyd NI Product Owner

Hi Paule. My question was not clear. I want to EITHER:

1) Start Reaktor VST with an ensemble automatically loaded.

or

2) Load an ensemble without using the mouse or keyboard. Can I send MIDI to load an ensemble?

4. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

No. A MIDI command can't load Reaktor ens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. D. Vyd

D. Vyd NI Product Owner

Yeah, I thought it was impossible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. aboxclaude

aboxclaude NI Product Owner

It depends on the DAW. In Ableton, you can save a midi track into your user library as a preset. For example, say you have a favorite synth in Reaktor that you ove using for bass... Load the .ENS into Reaktor, and pick a patch. Then, by dragging that midi track into the user library in Ableton, it is now a 'preset'. So instead of just loading Reaktor onto a track or clip next time, I double click on my preset, and Reaktor loads up with the ENS in it.

I have done this with many VSTs and routing (VST + EQ + Delay) that autoload complete with a click. Since there is no limit to how many you can have... go for it!

7. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

That is not a MIDI command. Can you use your preset with Program Change (a midi command)?

8. aboxclaude

Correct. However, what it does do is load Reaktor as a VST into the DAW with the .ENS already loaded, so it is a way of pre-loading .ENS into the DAW as the OP wanted in option #1 :)

It does work. I do it all the time. Saves me from having to load Reaktor into a midi slot, then load an .ens file.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

That is a question to Da'ud. He open the thread.

10. D. Vyd

D. Vyd NI Product Owner

Can you send a link where this is documented in Ableton? Besides Ableton, what other DAWs have you tried with this functionality? This is really interesting. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moshe B

Moshe B NI Product Owner

you can set Reaktor to load on startup one of the following options
    01.png
    its not let you select what ensemble you wish to load but this is what you can load on startup

edit:
    you can try open reaktor in stand alone after you sets it on "load last project" - pick what ever ensemble you wish to open in your DAW and close reaktor->. open reaktor in your DAW and it should load the last ensemble. if you wish to open other one repeat that process - its not the best solution but technically this should work.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  12. D. Vyd

D. Vyd NI Product Owner

Thanks. I wish I could get this to work with the VST.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

In Reaper you can save track templates where the plugins are saved including the ensembles.
    That way it's easy to ceate a new track with Reaktor with a specific ensemble.
    Create a track with Reaktor and your selected ensemble and the right click on the track and Save Tracks as Track Templates (fifth option from top).
    To access you saves track templates just right click in the track header area and Insert Track From Template.
    By this method you can create any number of templates to quickly access your favorite ensembles.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. D. Vyd

D. Vyd NI Product Owner

Ah, track templates. That is very helpful. Thank you!

15. aboxclaude

This is an old post of mine when I discovered it.. Sorry if it isn't clear.. https://endpop.wordpress.com/2013/06/22/live-8-9-workflow-tip/

But basically...

1. Create a midi track
    2. Load Reaktor as a VST into that track, and load up your favorite .ENS into it...
    3. To the left of Ableton is the USER LIBRARY... Drag the midi track into there and it will ask you for a name.
    4. Name it Reaktor with ENS.

Now.. when you need Reaktor, instead of dragging the VST into a track, you just double-click on the 'preset' you just made or drag it into a midi clip and Reaktor is ready to go, ENS and all. The added bonus, is you can other VST effects loaded as a chain too

16. ghizzu

ghizzu New Member

Or you can use FX chains. It works also that way.

17. aboxclaude

Yeah.. Not trying to be too much of an Ableton Fanboy but I have used this method to set up empty midi clips of various lengths, different routing scenarios, VSTs with EFX plugins already added, etc. It makes for quick recording of ideas based on what I'm in the mood to do...

For instance, I have a setup where Maschine and Reaktor are loaded up with empty clips so that I have drums and a few synths already set up to record. So I can wake up at 3am, load that setup up and record something... Then get back to bed

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. D. Vyd

D. Vyd NI Product Owner