1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Ronny Bangsund, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Ronny Bangsund

Ronny Bangsund NI Product Owner

Working fine. Phew. Those who want to upgrade their Macs may do so, safe knowing at least one installation went well without messing up Kore :)

2. clementshawes

clementshawes Forum Member

Is Mavericks out now? I don't think my 2009 MacBook can run it but nice to know Kore runs on it, thanks :)

3. Ronny Bangsund

Us developers got the GM this week, which means it's coming soon. Rumours say the release could be next week, since Apple Store employees have less than a week to be trained in it.

If your system is a Core 2 Duo or later (it is if it's from 2009) it will work (I had a 2008 MacBook, and it's supported). There are three overhauls to the innards which would make them more efficient on an older device, too. When audio software is updated to register with App Nap I'll never have to close anything down again :)

4. clementshawes

I was interested when you said 10.9 - I've paid little attention to the progress of this but was under the impression that Mavericks was intended to be OS XI (departure from cat names, a la Steve et al).
    How is general performance. I dropped the Apple platform at Lion as it just felt too heavy with 'features', I returned at Mountain Lion due to working with some Apple developers. I've not paid any attention to OS X since so it's great that a forthcoming release loads 'old' software just fine :)

Again, thanks for the info!

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Wow thanks for the info.

6. Ronny Bangsund

Safari is snappier. No, really, it is! It comes with Safari 7.0, and I think they finally removed a fairly unknown problem related to RSS (tens of thousands of feed entries accumulated after they removed RSS reading capability, and Safari had to check it on launch).

As far as the general system performance, it seems at least as good as with Mountain Lion. But I rarely had anything acting sluggish at all (i7 mini). Ableton Live and Logic both still run, standalone NI apps run, and all my development tools work as well as ever (which is to say all their bugs are still compatible with the newest OS ;).

If you left at Lion, you missed Mountain Lion. It did the same to Lion that Snow Leopard did to Leopard: Under the hood improvements, performance, developer APIs to make cooler software.

The biggest improvement is a great workflow thing: Mission Control is now actually an improvement over Spaces. Each monitor has its own desktops. When you switch between them on one monitor, the other one doesn't follow. It's actually possible to have information on a secondary monitor while working on several desktops.

After the initial Spotlight update it's smooth as butter now. I run the always-CPU-hogging Live now and then, the somewhat-nicer-but-unstable Unity and a ton of little utilities for audio, graphics and coding. On top of that I always have the usual browser/mail/IM/iTunes stuff. Memory isn't an issue, and the compression sometimes kicks in and shrinks down small amounts of it. The new Activity Monitor also shows the OS is aggressively caching stuff (6-7GB for file caches!).

Oh, and the Terminal. Which I need to attend to due to hacking attempts on a server :)

7. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

Good news, thanks :)

8. cyclicAMP

cyclicAMP Forum Member

Whoa....wait a second....I am still running on Snow Leopard and thought my Kore packs would all be 'bye bye' if I upgraded to Lion/Mt. Lion, let alone Mavericks!

Are you seriously saying that if I go to Mavericks, Kore player should still run my North India sound pack? The tabla instrument in that is the best I have ever come across and can not find anything that comes close. I am basically on Snow Leopard because I just can't let go of those tablas, but if I want to go to Maschine 2.0 I will have to update.

9. Ronny Bangsund

Theoretically, yes. I don't have North India, I think, so I can't confirm that :p

Lion, Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard all use the same basic driver system. The operating system changes have been to performance and userland stuff. Kore works as fine as in Snow Leopard (whatever that may mean ;). I've of course only had my computer to test on, and I seem to be blessed when it comes to updates. YMMV etc.

10. cyclicAMP

cyclicAMP Forum Member

Thank you for your reply! This gives me a solid dose of confidence that I can indeed update. We shall sea shell.

I will report back how it goes when I take the plunge.

11. clementshawes

North India confirmed on Mountain Lion - am clean installing all my software on a new Mac running Mavericks today so I hope to maybe confirm N.India later today.
    Got quite a few Kore packs so I'll list what is working on my setup :)

12. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

They all work fine on Mountain lion for me. Not upgraded to Mavericks yet as Metasynth is def not working on it, or so I am informed.

13. clementshawes

Mavericks 10.9, quad-i7 mid-2012 MacBook Pro, 4gb RAM.

Komplete 7 products were iffy before updating each and every one to the latest version, all seems well now.
    Komplete 8 products didn't seem to cause me any problems.
    Kore 2 working fine: Deep Freq, Transformations & Reconstructions working, Accoustic Refractions working.

Haven't got about to testing N.India yet as I had it removed from my account some months ago and now can't find my serial.

14. bigdaddywagon

bigdaddywagon NI Product Owner

I updated to Mavericks with no issue. All NI products (Kore2, Maschine, K8U) all functioning correctly.
    My real issue was with my system hard drive. I had to restore a faulty drive. Easy on a Mac! :)
    Afterword, all is back to normal.
    Remember to back up everything and make sure your system is totally up to date before installing Mavericks.

Cheers!

15. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Anyone with Kore 1 - is the audio interface working OK? It's just Komplete Audio 6 people seem to be having problems and I think the divers are similar