OSX 10.5 optimization, tips and tricks thread

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by PhilL, Oct 27, 2007.

1. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Use this thread to provide info on optimizations as well as tips and tricks on configuring and using OSX 10.5 Leopard with Traktor and or Traktor Scratch.

Please keep your posts to the point, Don't post seeking help on solving OSX / Traktor bugs they'll be summarily removed. It should go without saying its not a fanboy thread either.

Phil

2. PhilL

Beware running your system low on memory in 10.5

Tiger (OSX 10.4) was incredibly gracious in its continued operation when you ran the system out of memory or very low on memory.

Leopard (a.k.a Leppid) in the initial 10.5 release is NOT at all the same in this respect. Take great care not to run your system too low on memory, or worse still, out completely! You'll find the desktop will become extremely sluggish and in some cases will simply not respond to mouse and keyboard button events. If you are lucky enough to be able to shutdown Traktor successfully if it was running, you'll notice the application is gone in the tasklist, but the free memory pool is not reset and Finder will continue to malfunction. CPU will be idle as will Disk I/O. In most cases you'll find you have to power off your system (risking disk corruption) to recover. I have observed this behavior several times in the last few weeks when running parallels and starting Traktor (caches are set to A-B 256MB C-D 128MB) and this runs the system out of memory. I've duplicated the Finder behavior several times with other applications outside of just parallels and Traktor (this combination is by far the easiest to produce it on though). For those with only 1GB of ram in their systems be careful selecting cache sizes, especially if you often run multiple ram devouring apps.

For those only lightly contemplating Leopard, my initial recommendation is to wait for a while if your Mac is mission critical to you.

Phil

3. PhilL

For those running Parallels desktop 3, use Build 4128 not build the latest build 5160. The system is considerably faster and vastly more stable running 4128. In Build 4128 you can shutdown AND suspend without hanging the desktop and causing kernel panics or power off reboots.

The OSX 10.5 memory footprint for a base system seems to be around 250-320MB larger than 10.4 making a minimum of 2GB of RAM essential. If you can run 3GB then do so.

4. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

On a slight tangent: Have you tested VMware's Fusion in comparison to Parallels? If so, how does it behave in 10.4/10.5?

5. PhilL

I have not tested the current fusion build on the OSX release code. I have tested it previously on ealrier builds and in general I prefer Parallels. I will switch if there is good cause, but at present parallels build 4128 hold the edge by a comfortable margin. Parallels is smaller faster and considerably more stable. Device support in fusion is better especially with respect to bluetooth devices However while parallels is a little more limited the reliability of connected devices is vastly better.

Does that cover what you were asking? if not please feel free to ask for more detail.

Phil

6. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Nah, that was enough. I read on various places that Fusion is more performant than Parallels, but not from anything I usually frequent, so I was just curious. I'm toying with the idea of adding a MacBook to the household next year.

7. grikschatj

grikschatj NI Product Owner

Phil,

Another question for you. I've looked and haven't seen anything specific, but according to the NI site about Leopard, T3.3 is working with Leopard. Does this include Traktor Scratch functionality or is that not working like TS as a whole?

Thanks!

8. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

in my understanding, it means TS functionality in T33 will work, while TS as independant application will not.

9. chachakoala

chachakoala NI Product Owner

I tried boths and i finally bought VMware at a bargain price ($59 = less than 55 euros with VAT :eek:) )
    More stable and efficient (to my opinion) and at the time of my testings, Parallel could not run my bootcamp partition whereas vmware could...

10. chachakoala

chachakoala NI Product Owner

I couldn't install my Console DJ MP3 drivers on a fresh install of Leopard but in an upgrade install (from 10.4.10 to 10.5) the drivers for that device was kept and running.
    So i watched in the drivers installation package content and deleted the InstallationCheck script (package/Contents/Resources). I could then run the installer in my fresh Leopard partition :)

11. PhilL

Just did seperate fresh installs of T3.2.085 T3.2.1 T3.2.2, T3.3, Scratch and the 2.2.14 driver onto a fresh OSX 10.5 install, all successful runs nicely.

Phil

12. PhilL

This info was sent to me by Coriolis Systems who make iPartition and iDefrag. Their info is sound and I trust their comments they have long proven themselves to be a reliable source. I've seen the bug they are rporting and agree with their analysis.

=============================================
    From Coriolis Systems
    =============================================
    As was to be expected, we are getting a lot of queries about Leopard compatibility of both iPartition and iDefrag.

To cut a long story short, both the final developer seed (9A559) and the release version of Leopard (9A581) appear to contain a kernel bug that causes the disk to stop responding. The symptoms of this problem are that our programs will stop making any progress with the task they are working on, and under some circumstances may beachball; additionally, the disk being used will no longer work until you restart your machine. This does not seem to happen with all disks on all systems, but it is easily reproduced on some of the machines we have here and does not happen from earlier Leopard developer seeds or from Tiger.

As a result, we do not recommend running our software *from* Leopard at this time. The problem has been reported to Apple and we will be working to help them to track it down as swiftly as possible.

In the meantime, if you wish to use iPartition or iDefrag on a machine with Leopard installed, please use the programs from a bootable CD or DVD created with CDMaker. Such discs are currently based on Tiger rather than Leopard, so the problem mentioned above will not occur. Note also that CDMaker is not presently able to create a bootable disc based on the Leopard install DVD. We have no plans to address this issue until we are certain that running iPartition and iDefrag from Leopard is safe for our customers.

One final caveat is that we do not, at this time, have the official documentation for the new "directory hard links" feature that is used by Time Machine. We have done a little investigation ourselves and we have no reason to suppose that the new feature will cause any problems, but until we have seen the official documentation (which, we are assured will be released soon) we recommend caution when manipulating volumes containing Time Machine back-ups.

Kind regards,

Coriolis Systems Limited

p.s. The above information applies to *all versions* of iPartition and iDefrag, including the recently released iPartition 3.

--
    Coriolis Systems Limited is a limited company incorporated in England and Wales Company No. 5061807 Registered Office: 10 Oxford Street, Southampton, SO14 3DJ

13. PhilL

Time Machine and Traktor

Apart from the fairly large number of people reporting failed backups with Time Machine (me included) It should go without saying that Time Machine could interfere with Traktor....

I'm here to tell you the word "interfere" should be interreted loosely. I have had experiences ranging from quite a few crackles to the entire application stalling (sound and UI); nearly completely to periods ranging from 5 - 35 seconds. Mostly when Time machine backups run they cause catastrophic failures in the UI Control and playback. Midi control fails nearly completely in some cases. There is no warning that I've seen that indicates that the backup is about to occur and force quit Traktor has been needed in several test runs to gain back desktop control.

Bottom line, Turn off Time Machine if using Traktor.

Phil

14. Smoothice

Smoothice NI Product Owner

@ Phil

Did you notice any improvements with Traktor 3 now that its running with a 64-bits OS ?...

Thanks

15. PhilL

Nope, its a 32 bit app running in 32 bit applications space, I wasn't expecting to see any improvement to be honest. when you have a 64 bit app running you might expect some very minor gain but for Traktor that gain will not mean much if anything. Much is made of 64bit apps being lots faster, its not the case.

Phil

16. grikschatj

So here's a question for ya Phil...I upgraded to Leopard last Friday. I did the Archive and Install with the hopes that all things Traktor would be fine. This was not the case. Scratch would open, but didn't see the Audio8. Traktor 3 would open and not see the Audio8. I reinstalled the driver, then T3 would see the Audio8, but wouldn't recognize the time code on one side and played in reverse on the other. I was able to play my set the next day using T3, so all was good.

Now, I did a clean install of the OS, and recovered my files from my Time Machine back up. I reinstalled the latest updates for Scratch, Audio8 and T3 (in that order). Again, Scratch won't work as before, but T3 will work with Scratch now, however it sees the CD players as being reversed even though all the cables are properly set up.

While I know this isn't NI's fault (it's mine really for being impatient ;o)), do you, or anyone think I should just delete Traktor all together and start from scratch no pun intended?

I have a gig tonight, so I'm not doing anything today. Just looking for people's thoughts.

Thanks much!

17. PhilL

If it were me I would put 10.4 back on as as clean install to get through the gig tonight then after the gig backup everything and retry the upgrade on a clean 10.4 - 10.5 path.

Phil

18. mal1ce

mal1ce NI Product Owner

Here you go, Tiger speed tweak guide.
    Not sure if this will also work with Leopard, but I'm guessing lots of it would carry over.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

http://www.kiritanflux.de/tigerspeed.pdf

19. grikschatj

OK, here's a follow up. I once again couldn't use TS, but T3 worked like a charm. My problem of the CD players being reversed was just the input routing. For whatever reason they were reversed, perhaps the last time I used T3 with FS2 I had to switch and never switched them back.

T3 with TS functionality was just ducky on 10.5. I read on a thread in the TS forum, and someone suggested starting TS trying it, then unplugging the A8 while TS is running, then plug it back in. I'll give that a try and let you all know!

20. _mau_

_mau_ New Member

hello 2 everyone - i am a newbie (to this forum).
    first of all regards from cold germany.
    up til know i've been able to sort everything myself.. but this time i am desperately looking for help.
    my old G4 powerbook was really running out of capacity so i decided to get a new macbook (okay... intel core duo is now something i have to live with). but now the trouble starts with FS2 and Traktor 3.2 (in detail: 3.2.1030 after updating from 3.0 the only choice on the NI site).
    i read carefully prior to buying my mac - and decided to go for leopoard (osx 10.5.1). somehow traktor plays the music and the mac recognizes the FS2 - but if i put the needle on a record simply nothing works.. is there anywhere help for me? pls pls pls - this one is really driving me crazy.
    thx for all support - really.. as an old 'playa' i would pay with sweets..
    ;-)
    thx
    mau