1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

OSX 10.5 optimization, tips and tricks thread

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by PhilL, Oct 27, 2007.

1. protomind

protomind NI Product Owner

I only use mac for traktor and Djing, my friends that use mac either use traktor or serato for DJing. Thats it. Everyone else I know mostly uses PCs.

2. S1L1C0N

S1L1C0N Forum Member

Sesame Street once taught what might have been the best lesson I ever learned in my entire life. This I will pass on to you now and hope that you utilize it wisely as it is the sole reason I am where I am today...

"One of these things, is not like the other"

If your friends do the same thing as you, and on the same thing. Find out what you are doing different and there you will find the key to your mystery issues....

3. selector97

selector97 NI Product Owner

T3 OS-X 10.5 and m-audio midi devices

Hi.

I´ve been adressing this issue also in the beta group, but unfortunately no one could reproduce it there. I am using OS-X 10.5.x (version did not matter since it occured in every leopard). With this OS my m-audio Midi controllers (UC-17 and US-33) are not recognized by traktor. Traktor does show only empty lines in the midi device selection menue, but the system itself recognizes the devices. Ableton does work fine with these two m-audio devices on 10.5.x. I switched back to 10.4 for testing and everything worked. So it must be a Traktor and 10.5 related problem. I did a clean install of my whole DJing profile and I did a reset of all devices but nothing changed. Traktor does not receive Midi commands or does not recognize them. A friend of mine has the same problem and we were working completely independend. Think this has to be adressed again.

I have attached a screenshot.

My Question: Does anyone have the same problems or seen similar? Could you solve it and how?

cheers

PS:BUG #35647

Attached Files:

• t3.jpg
      t3.jpg
      File size:
      399.1 KB
      Views:
  4. protomind

protomind NI Product Owner

You are quite obviously filled with great wisdom, I concede.

5. selector97

selector97 NI Product Owner

m-audio midi and ox.10.5.x

which was solved with the current 3.4 update...

so forget it....

6. DJ KIKO

DJ KIKO Forum Member

Update

Will Traktor 3.4 cooperate with the Leopard 10.5.4 update?

7. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

^Been doing so for the last several weeks for me!

8. DJ KIKO

DJ KIKO Forum Member

Thanks Telly, I will Do the update ASAP!

9. TeLLy

You might also want to upgrade your RAM, your signature says you only have 2 megs! Ha ha ha. Just playing. Send money.

10. jgerry

jgerry New Member

I some good tips for running Traktor w/ Leopard. Here's what I'm doing for DJing with Traktor.

I use my primary laptop (2.16 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, 3GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, about 18 months old) for DJing. I have it loaded up with a lot of things I don't really need when I DJ. So, I created a separate user account just for my music software, Ableton Live and Traktor DJ. Why? Because when I log out of my primary account and into my music account, none of the extra stuff I use gets loaded up. No extra system preference panes, etc. I install just the bare minimum of stuff that I need. Traktor, my audio drivers, and Ableton Live. Oh, I also turn off my wireless networking while I'm DJing.

If you use your iTunes library from within Traktor, you're going to have to make some adjustments if you want to use the library from your primary user account. Basically, you need to move your iTunes library from its default location:

/Users/username/iTunes/iTunes Library

to a location that can be accessed from any user account. The best place for this is in the shared directory, specifically for sharing items between accounts. My iTunes library is now located at:

/Users/Shared/iTunes Library

You may need to reset the file permissions on your existing library directory and all the items within it. New stuff you add should work properly. To change these, do a get info on your new shared iTunes library directory (command-I from the finder), give read & write permissions to all users and groups listed there, then click the little wheel at the bottom and choose "apply to enclosed items". This will reset the permissions on every file in your library and the library directory itself.

Happy DJing!

11. mishmashmole

mishmashmole NI Product Owner

Hi jgerry. Thanks a great description of how to do it and I hope some people will make use of it. I, however, did try to do this about a year. I had two user accounts, one for music and one for other stuff. But, I gave up on the idea after not too long. Problem is, I don't remember the details of why I gave up. It may have been due to permissions issues or it may have been due to still wanting everything accessible the whole time. I think if you're careful enough you can make sure nothing else is running, use the app called activity monitor. I usually have a restart before using Traktor. Note that I am using a powerbook 1.5Ghz with FS2 and have never had drop outs so the current version of leopard works well for me, even on such an old machine.

12. djjasoncarroll

djjasoncarroll NI Product Owner

I thought I would say that I have been using it with out any trouble on 10.5.4 and the only trouble I have is using T3 with the audio 8 and vinyl is when you load up the screen the play and cue buttons are there rather than the vinyl symbol but hitting the number 4 and swapping to 4 decks and back sorts it I run 2.5ms of latency and it seems stable I did a set last night from 9pm till 4am this morning and all was gravy and I got the same gig tonight and tomorrow.

I know it does not help but it does work for some people

13. Agent of Kin

Agent of Kin NI Product Owner

OK. I'll add my 2c.

I was using 10.4 for ages on a MBP 17" and it sang and danced a treat. No problem.

I recently bought a MB 13" and it hasn't been so much fun. Usually it works nicely. Then occasionally I have issues. Eg: On Monday and Thursday night, 7 hour gigs without a problem. Tonight, first 3 hour gig something went wrong... twice. The second time there was an error (something like "USB error: device is not behaving itself as a USB 2 device and blah"). I shut down, booted at the second gig... 4 hours, not a problem at all.

In the time betwen gigs I set the playback thingo to medium. Since I tend to play tracks in key (Harmonic Mixing) I don't turn off the "Key" correction. First gig it was on High or fast processor, Second gig it was on Medium.

I'm thinking of posting ticket to support.

14. ecirp

ecirp Forum Member

thanks for the tip.. what exactly do u type in the terminal to turn off dashboard.. and its turned on automatically after restart?

15. TeLLy

16. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

Leopard 10.5.5 update & Traktor 3 / TS?

anyone here tried the 10.5.5 update with T3.4 or TS 1.3?

just scoping the scene here first before I take the plunge....

17. Gian-Pa

Gian-Pa NI Product Owner

It's all good. No problems for me.

18. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

Played a couple hours last night with 10.5.5 and T3.3 and I'm ok.

19. J Ussher

J Ussher NI Product Owner

That's good to know...and how about Itunes 8 with T3?

20. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

I use iTunes, but not in conjunction with T3. I manage my music (ID3 tags especially) with iTunes, but not my playlists.