1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

OSX 10.5 optimization, tips and tricks thread

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by PhilL, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

No probs with iTunes 8 and T3.3
    Done 2 x 5hr sets this week, 10 different playlists all imported from iTunes 8.

Just turn off the annoying Genius Bar.
    Im quite sure you dont need iTunes to tell you what music to buy ;)

2. bizz

bizz New Member

Frankly saying, I've got a Traktor crash ("Unexpected quit bla-bla-bla" on first start of it after update 10.5.5 and restart...

it was just before a live performance in club. Can you imagine how I felt myself during all that gig? )))

lucky me, Traktor was survived... (it was 3.3.0.210).
    I wrote in support (asked how to see logs etc..)
    No reply for a while.
    I've just updated to 3.4.1.040 (last one).

3. Doktor Joy

Doktor Joy Forum Member

Just a heads up. Traktor 3.3 and 3.4 do not work on my Macbook Pro with 10.5.5 installed.

They work with 10.5.4 and below. I have no response from Support yet.

4. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

I've been using 3.3 with 10.5.5 ever since 10.5.5 was released with no issues.

5. Doktor Joy

Doktor Joy Forum Member

Yeah, I have some kind of *bad* problem here that I can't get to the bottom of. Re-Installing Leopard for a *fifth* time now...

I have a MBP I got 2nd user, without it's own instal discs, so I'm installing Leopard from a standard Leopard install DVD. Traktor works fine until I apply any update from 10.5. If I go to 10.5.2, 10.5.5 etc, Traktor just displays white empty windows (it works, so to speak but I can't see anything).

But I posted about this in Tech Issues already so I should be quiet here =) It does seem to be a problem I have locally here, and I'm wondering if it's because I'm not using the correct Leopard install discs.

6. Gian-Pa

Gian-Pa NI Product Owner

I did that yesterday and for some reason, many songs loaded from my External HD couldn't been read/display the song waveform (the one that displays all the track)

I'll try to see if I can fix that problem or reproduce with my main account. As my file permission of the music and the Traktor folder should be ok...

7. Doktor Joy

Doktor Joy Forum Member

A recommendation for anybody who has to reinstall their Macbook Pro from scratch - use the disks that came with it, and NOT a generic off-the-shelf Leopard Install Disk. I re-installed 4 times with the generic disk, and Traktor 3.3 and 3.4 would not work. I then installed off a set of Macbook Pro Leopard Install disks, and all is good again. :)

8. selector97

selector97 NI Product Owner

optimization 10.4.11

it´s a bit off topic because of the os version, but i have an older laptop with os-x 10.4.11 running. I tried to find the optimization thread for this system, but i couldn´t find. if it exists, can someone post a link here?

otherwise somebody could advice me here shortly how to minimize backgound tasks in 10.4.11 or which one can be modulated.

thank you very much guys.

btw. i have read and done what is written in the traktor manual. if this is all one can do please tell me also.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  9. DJBrooklynn

DJBrooklynn NI Product Owner

Hi Phil, I'm new to posting so if this is off subject just let me know and I'll post somewhere else.... Could you specify the set up you have with traktor. I believe that hardware as much as software and how they are hooked up really matters as far as streamlining your computer. Since we both have the Core duo and the firewire 410 plus the pioneer mixer I was hoping for a little summary on your midi hook ups. If this is too much to ask in this post could you direct me to the right one.
    Hope you're feeling Irie man.

10. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Hry Brooklyn I think this will be fine here its a little off topic but its OK given that the thread is not getting use for its strictest intended use this should be OK.

My setup today is much the same as its always been. I run a Gen1 McBook Pro 17 on OSX 10.5.5 I hsae the 2.16 processor and 2 GB of ram the Maximum possible for this model. I run Traktor 3.4.0.200. It don't run 3.4.1 because I can't (I get an error at startup that we couldn't solve initially and I have not had time to look at it since, as I have be so busy with T Pro. I won't go into any other detil other than to say Pro performance is excellent, and better than T3 on this Mac.

I run a stock O/S load except I've turned off the dashboard. I have a standard user profile for regular day to day operations and user (profile) for live T3 play which in the last 2-3 months I have not had time to do time between and T Pro testing its taken all my time.

When I play live I do two things. I turn off WLAN and the Dock animation. WLAN causes audio crackles and dropouts during play over extened periods. The dock does the same and causes brief GUI freezes, even when you are running fullscreen mode. When I play live I use a powered USB hub to run my Audio 8 or if I'm using the 410 I do try to use external power if I can but thats much less critical. A mate of mine in portlan actually has a lightweight UPS he swears by. It weighs about 5-7 lbs and he says he has far fewer problems with ground loop hum and audio drops in clubs as a result. The UPs was like $75 bucks. Its not a replacement for a HUM-X or the like.

I've tested a good number of the other suggested tweaks and none of them produced a consistent reliable result so I don't bother with them.

Use good quality larger diameter USB and Firewire cables. The wire gauge on the really lightweight cables is so small you cannot get the current through them and you'll get dodgey results. lightweight cables are compact but the operating results are suspect.

Latency-wise T3.4 sucks compared to 3.2.1 I have to run around 10 MSecs now to get no drop outs. We'll talk specific latency number for T Pro next weekend maybe, I can't and won't yet. On 10.4.11 and T3.2 I used to get 5.5 Msecs stable. so I'm not so happy but I not a scratch DJ and I'm not so impacted by lower numbers.

O/S wise if you are on 10.5 then get your up past 10.5.3. IMO realtime play performance is much better here than on older versions of OSX. My opinion FWIW, compared to 10.4.11, 10.5 is NOT a good operating system for realtime Audio nor is Vista but in SP3 its better than it was. 10.5 is going from strength to strength but there has been little or no radical improvement in overall performance improvement in the Audio subsystem, the general performance of hte built in audio is only really good for general day to day stuff and the scaffold for the Audio sub-system in OSX remains very much sub-par for realtime Audio.

OK does that cover what you were looking to find out.

Phil

11. Lancellot

Lancellot NI Product Owner

Regarding Whooshboard (Dashboard), it is wrong to believe that it uses CPU cycles when inactive. There were problems in the past with some widgets leaking memory.
    As long as you do not have any widgets running, Dashboard will not use up any CPU power. It does however use up a little bit of RAM and if you`re running a system below 2GB, you should consider disabling it.

I have disabled it because I never use it.

12. PhilL

This is NOT the case. The information provided is only partly correct. Regard Dashboard not running when idle. Use your favorite process monitoring tool and watch for CPU use over an extended period of time. Dashboard (and the plugins in it it) run periodically even when not shown on screen. Its only a brief blip but it does run and its shown and attributed quite recently to audio glitches and dropouts for some users here, including myself on version 10.5.5.

13. Lancellot

I have verified my info before posting.

I have done all the Activity Monitor testing a long time ago and Googled for tips.
    Here are a few results all confirming my post.

Might be worth mentioning that MobileSync uses up to 100% of CPU.
    But no one will sync their contacts while doing a gig. :lol:

Again, if after a restart you don`t start Dashboard in the first place, it will not appear in the Activity Monitor and not issue a *blip* causing a hic-up.

In any case, it`s better not to have Dashboard on a music system.

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,591073,591201

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/08/21/terminal-tips-disable-dashboard/

and what I meant in my post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=157253

14. PhilL

It used to be 10.5.0 that clicking on the Dock was enough to start Dashboard. I have had it turned off so long now I don't know if that is still the case. If it is the case then your assertion is incorrect. As you point out. If you don't use dashboard shut it off completely with Dashquit one of the other tools to stop it.

Phil

15. Lancellot

Can you please elaborate this?
    What do you mean by "clicking on the dock"?
    You mean that if I clicked on the Dock to start say, TextEdit, Dashboard would show an increase of CPU usage?
    A mouse over the Dock would start Dashboard and increase CPU usage?
    I cannot see why my assertion was wrong.
    All I said was, that if after a restart you don`t start Dashboard in the first place, Dashboard, or any widgets will not use any RAM/CPU.

16. PhilL

If memory serves and it often doesn't, dashboard automagically started when you moused over the dock. You could kill it only to have it come back to life the next time you used the dock. DASHQUIT and the like kill the processes and prevent it from starting except by explicitly starting it in Terminal or Opening it in the dock

Phil

17. twistedpickles

twistedpickles Forum Member

KILLING THE DASHBOARD

Some of you may find this useful.

At the terminal

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean YES
    That will kill the dashboard then type in the command below for the changes to take effect. I read that the Dashboard is actually owned by the Dock.

Code:
    killall Dock
    To restart the Dash type in the following

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dashboard mcx-disabled -boolean NO

killall Dock

18. Lancellot

This is extremely interesting!
    I will check this whether it sill applies.

twistedpickles,
    thank you for "bookmarking" this here, I actually forgot posting this information.

19. ecirp

ecirp Forum Member

Therefore if u kill the dock u essentially kill the dashboard as well?

20. Lancellot

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008