1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

OSX 10.5 optimization, tips and tricks thread

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by PhilL, Oct 27, 2007.

1. mrcenzo

mrcenzo New Member

Please help with midi setup on traktor with bcd 3000 controller?

Hi i have just loaded up traktor 3 onto my mac and am using the bcd 3000 controller but i have found that a lot of the key settings do not work like for example..... the jog wheel does nothing? the eq kill buttons do nothing? etc etc.....

i have tried to "learn" these but it does not work?

does anyone know where i can get some presets from for this problem?

Cheers....... traktor

2. DJ_AJ

DJ_AJ NI Product Owner

It's been a few months since I have played out due to setting up and testing out my new Macbook/Firewire Audiophile/Novation Remote/Traktor Pro set up! =o) Has anyone actually found the Sudden Motion sensor to cause performance issues with Traktor while subject to loud dbls? How necessary do you believe it is to turn the Motion Sensor off?

3. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I've seen SMS work in controlled conditions, causing problems in some cases, during loading of files or working with the collection.

That being said I have never had to turn it off and have never found empirical evidence that it caused a problem during live play that warranted turning it off. On occasions where it was thought to a problem I have turned it off and it made no difference to the problem being observed at the time.

4. DJ_AJ

DJ_AJ NI Product Owner

Thanks for sharing some input on your experience PhilL.

I haven't noticed any issue related to the SMS so far either, however I am primarily playing at home at the moment in a controlled home/studio environment. We all know playing live can offer a whole new set of issues due to it's many changing variables. For example, I don't know about you but I've noticed that playing at certain venues in the past, some controls from my MIDI devices would occasionally pick up on vibrations, triggering unwanted commands. My old VCI-100's jog wheels would sometimes do this, and also the XY Pad on my Novation Remote 25 would prove to be sensitive to certain vibrations as well. I wasn't sure if the SMS could contribute any problems under similar conditions, or not. The Sudden Motion Sensor IS there for a reason and if it were being triggered by loud vibrations, do you think it would hurt more to turn it off or keep it on while gigging?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  5. DJ_AJ

DJ_AJ NI Product Owner

Here's a silly question I've wondered about Mac's in general for sometime that may have some relevance to this thread...

If it would be of any significant benefit to us, could we completely strip away all unnecessary applications and stuff from the OS on a Mac that's deemed strictly dedicated to DJ-ing?

I mean, If we could delete/uninstall all irrelevant apps and files from the operating system, only keeping a real basic set of pre-installed apps to keep the machine operational. Then only install, lets say Your hardware drivers (Soundcard/Controller), Traktor Pro (Dj-ing), iTunes (Song Managment) and an internet Browser for downloading tunes...

Would one see any real significant benefits to system performance?

If so, what apps are considered SAFE to erase and which ones are Dangerous to delete from the OS that could potentially mess up OS and application stability?

For example couldn't we safely remove most applications like (to name a few):

Address Book
    AppleScript
    Automator
    Boot Camp
    Dashboard
    Dictionary
    DVD Player
    Fonts
    Front Row
    iCal
    iChat
    Mail
    Photo Booth
    Preview
    Printing
    Quick Look
    Screen Savers
    Spotlight
    Terminal
    TextEdit
    Time Machine
    ect...

Silly question?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  6. DJ_AJ

DJ_AJ NI Product Owner

guess it was a silly question then...

7. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

Do you think that most of those are constantly running the background?

Would you delete Notepad and your Fonts from a PC?

I think it's a silly question...there are topic in the forum about ways of disabling Dashboard that touch upon aspects of your issue.

8. twistedpickles

twistedpickles Forum Member

Not a silly question at all. Removing most of these programs will only get you more HD space but not very much at all. The better thing to do is to stop the running processes that are eating at your processor speed and ram.

I find that the easiest way for me is to list the current running processes and shut them down. Type ps -A at the terminal window.

Code:
    ps -A
    The output will return a list of running processes. Here is a snip of my output

Code:
    10 ?         0:01.13 /usr/libexec/kextd
       11 ?         0:00.12 /usr/sbin/notifyd
       12 ?         0:00.19 /usr/sbin/syslogd
       14 ?         0:00.05 /usr/sbin/cupsd -l
       15 ?         0:00.71 /usr/sbin/httpd -D FOREGROUND
       16 ?         0:01.96 /usr/sbin/update
       17 ?         0:00.01 /sbin/SystemStarter
       20 ?         0:00.17 /usr/sbin/securityd -i
       22 ?         0:02.48 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreS
      199 ?         0:00.08 /Library/Google/Google Updater/Google Updater.app/Cont
      200 ?         0:01.87 /Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/Customer 
      201 ?         0:00.13 /Library/Printers/hp/hpio/HPEventHandler.app/Contents/
      207 ?         0:00.07 /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelp
      211 ?         0:00.51 /Applications/Camouflage.app/Contents/MacOS/Camouflage
      212 ?        11:44.59 /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -
      213 ?         0:00.24 /Applications/IPMenu.app/Contents/MacOS/IPMenu -psn_0_

952 ?         4:29.00 /Applications/Traktor DJ Studio 3/TraktorDJStudio3.app
      953 ?         0:05.15 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMIDIServer.framework/MI
     1071 ttys000    0:00.02 login -pf ronnie
     1072 ttys000    0:00.01 -bash
     1081 ttys000    0:00.00 ps -A
    I use my lappy for a lot of other things so I sometimes forget to disable or stop the webserver, mysql database server, printer software and etc...

The easiest way to stop some of these apps would be in the terminal. I use the "kill" command to stop services.

to stop IP Menu App
    213 ? 0:00.24 /Applications/IPMenu.app/Contents/MacOS/IPMenu -psn_0_
    Code:
    kill 213
    to stop my printer software
    200 ? 0:01.87 /Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/Customer
    Code:
    kill 200
    stop google updater
    199 ? 0:00.08 /Library/Google/Google Updater/Google Updater.app/Cont
    Code:
    kill 199

I have been meaning to create a script that will disable or stop all non essential apps while djing. Maybe Ill get around to it this weekend.

9. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

That's kinda where I was going...you're not going to go and UNINSTALL those programs Mr Pickles...are ya? :)

10. twistedpickles

twistedpickles Forum Member

I did remove a few of those apps only because I knew I would never use them. It doesn't really make much diff however I have been under circumstances where I only need 15MB on my 160GB HD to complete a transfer & only 8MB are avail.
    Fudge! I hate those times.

11. JUKE179r

JUKE179r New Member

I have an '07 MBP with OS 10.6.8 and these are the things I do to optimize my notebook when using Traktor Pro 2 and other music applications...

1) Max out RAM.
    2) Upgrade internal hard-drive to 7200RPM. See the difference: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCIViHUYbxI"]speed comparison : 2010 i7 MacBook Pro 5400 vs 7200 rpm hdd[/ame]
    3) Update Programs/Applications to the most stable version. (*See Appfresh)
    4) Use an external powered Firewire 800 and eSATA HD to store/load music and music projects. (I don't have USB3 or Thunderbolt)
    5) Disable BlueTooth, WI-FI (AirPort), Expose (and Acitive Screen Corners), Spaces, Dashboard and TimeMachine.
    6) Run "Activity Monitor" and quit processes not needed in the background.
    *** USE CAUTION QUITTING PROCESSES YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT! ***
    7) Remove all the clutter from Desktop and quit apps running on "Menu Bar".
    8) Change "Energy Saver" settings to "Never" for both Battery and Power Adapter settings. Untick/uncheck "Put the hard disks to sleep when possible".
    9) Delete all Languages not needed. Not necessary but adds more HD space. (*See Monolingual)
    10) Run “Disk Utility” and “Repair Disk Permissions” on system hard drive. (*See ACLr8)

As stated by a forum member: