1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

OSX Reaktor is sick?

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by claudek, Jun 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claudek

claudek Forum Member

So you trashed your R4 prefs..??Then how did you setup your audio /midi after trashing them? Seems even after I trash mine I reopen r4 and check for audio/midi settinsg and then it immediately crashes..What are you doing? can you now check your audio/midi settings without crashing?

2. Achim Siebert

Achim Siebert Forum Member

Am Freitag, 11.07.03, um 00:48 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Native
    Instruments forum:

Yes, I can. I just tried (I had R4 crashing on startup the first time,
    though - that seems to happen every time I open the standalone directly
    after closing Logic - weird).
    Anyway - I can switch my audiocard from EMI6|2m to Audiowerk without
    problems.
    ... mmh, not quite - one of ten+ times trying I got one crash when
    opening the settings.
    So maybe you should try until you"re lucky and it doesn"t crash ;-).

Achim.

3. jschur

jschur NI Product Owner

Default Folder X is the problem. I had the same crash with Reaktor Session; it went away after I excluded RS from the Default Folder X preferences

4. claudek

claudek Forum Member

I just trashed my first 2 string lines in the R4 prefs file..Reopened R4.02 then tried selecting M-Audio 1X1 midi driver..when I tried to turn this to "ON" it crashes R4.However,when I try doing the same with the first version of R4 from the installer cd (4.0) I can easily choose my M-Audio driver and without crash.I did so then went back to 4.02 and the midi in then works..
    But then if I try to open the "audio
    /midi settings" it crashes R4.02.

C'MON NI THIS IS A BUG!!

Where is this Default Folder X? I did a serach nothing comes up..I'm not using R4 sessions.maybe this is why?

How do you remove everything from 10.2.6? I will try it if it is not too messy.If you really think it may help..Weird thing is my original R4 4.0 from the installer cd works fine..when I open "audio/midi settings" from this version it does not crash..Only from 4.02.

5. herw

herw NI Product Owner

Hi claudek,
    i'm using "M-Audio USB Support.plugin" V3.1 too but it is in the folder
    Library/Audio/midi drivers

ciao herw

6. claudek

claudek Forum Member

so am I...same place..weird stuff..The drivers work fine with all other music apps.

7. herw

herw NI Product Owner

Another idea:
    I think you have made some new installs? Did you throw it into the trash or did you use the uninstaller? (You have to use it! and without the key)
    ciao herw

8. jschur

jschur NI Product Owner

9. cric

cric NI Product Owner

Well, well
    Had the same problems, so I reinstalled my OSX System. Nothing else helped. Now everything works perfectly. Are there any developers from Microsoft working for NI? ;-)

10. claudek

claudek Forum Member

Are you telling me you sat down and did a complete reinstall of OSX Jaguar and updated it all..?? How did you do this a clean install?? I really think this is crazy to have to do all this when it is a 4.02 bug as 4.0 works..

11. claudek

claudek Forum Member

I was not aware there was a uninstaller in 4.02..Where is this..as when I hit the WISE installer on both the original 4.0 installer or 4.02 updater all I see is custom install or easy install.. I cannot see any uninstaller?? If I see it..I will try it.. I have R4.0 on one FW drive and 4.02 on another..

12. cric

cric NI Product Owner

Yes, exactly! It's always a good idea to clean up your system and disk from time to time ;-)
    And when I realized that on a clean installed machine (on another one) I had no problems with Reaktor, I knew that the time has come. Reaktor never worked stable before (not V 4.0 and 4.0.2).
    btw: it just reminds me of a response from Microsoft about people having several problems with Word under X: You should reinstall the whole System!!!

13. claudek

claudek Forum Member

sounds a bit much and easy way out..If I was having many system problems I could understand having a system problem and reinstall all.. but only Reaktor is having the problem.. I'm installing Panther on my Powerbook as my friend gave me a DP copy as he is a FreeBsd programmer for Apple..I'll see if R4 works on Panther..Was you install a clean install?

14. 3phase

3phase Forum Member

maybe the mididrivers from your interface? remove them in case they are labeled corectly...they might have kernel extensions that have to be removed..better look before if there is an update for your midi interface.
    repair permissions on a regular base. run an app callled Janitor.
    never run osx on an full HD..
    thats the points i have learned about osx sofar...OS X is not as stable as apple claims it to be and especially german software companys seem to have a problem with writing unix drivers...and app´s ...its getting better...hopefully quicker than i imagine...
    sofar i had 3 total reinstalls of osx, 10.26 seems to be much better than before...like allways when an apple system gets a 6 in the versionnumber :)

15. cric

cric NI Product Owner

Sure, but I think you will spend often more time in fixing problems than make a clean install. ;-)
    I was just wondering, if it is a problem of my osx installation or a bug in R4. And I saw, that R4 works fine on a clean installed OSX.
    I also tested it on panther. No problems so far.
    What I absolutely don't want to say is, that customers have to do such things all the time. It's not good programming, if the clients have to reinstall a working system!

16. claudek

claudek Forum Member

Well I am installing Panther on my other laptop and will see if it helps. The equation here does not make much sense. One is saying to re-install my OSX,when only Reaktor is the only application that is causing problems.I have over 30 apps that run perfect.So I think I will pass on a reinstall of OSX is qa bit much.NI needs to fix the code.

17. claudek

claudek Forum Member

I downloaded the latest midi drivers..
    Both my M-Audio USB and Edirol Um4 have these problems..All my other midi audio apps work great with them..except this R4.02..
    I have checked them..reinstalled them..I have trashed prefs..tried almost everything but a new OSX install (which frankly sounds insane for trying to fix a script that has a problem with 1 app (R4)..OSX is very stable..I run it all day, all week almost a whole month without a crash..R4 is the only app that has made the OSX system crash& need a restart..
    R4.0 worked fine with my midi. R4.02 screwed it up..
    Simply R4.02 has a conflcit with something in OSX core audio/midi with certain ext.hardware..obviously, 2 are mentioned above..

Simply do the math: 1 OSX app is having a conflict (R4.02) out of 5+ audio apps that work fine..(Logic,SX,Reason,Peak,Live)
    OSX is not the problem here ..R4.02 is..
    This is not the first time NI is having probs with OSX..Traktor had many bugs in the start..
    We will see how they progress with Absynth..so on...

R4.02 OSX needs to be fixed..easy as this.

18. claudek

claudek Forum Member

Well good news is I just installed R4 .02 on my Panther (DP) setup on my other Powerbook G4 and it works well..So this is good news so far..but my Motu 828 audio interface will not show up..So only internal audio on this test OS.

19. claudek

claudek Forum Member

Hmm ..Very false statement!!

Emagic Logic OSX (German) Works awesome in OSX!
    Ableton Live..(German) Works fine
    Steinberg Cubase SX (German) Works fine..

even get this..
    NI Tracktor /Final Scratch/Satnton (German) OSX works great!!

I think your territory quote is not true.Germans are good programmers.Just Ni Reaktor 4.02 OSX needs some fine tuning and fix the conflicts withs ome hardware..I see hope..

20. electrip

electrip NI Product Owner

So that means I won't be able to use my MIDI keyboard with R4 in OS X until I can score a copy of Panther? Sorry, but that really burns me. This seems like a problem NI really needs to fix, and fast.

And meanwhile, I've read all kids of posts that describe all the incompatibility problems Panther creates. It's unclear at this point if you can run the 828 on it - which burns me even more, because that's what I use too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.