OSX Volume Control for Audio 8 DJ

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR Audio Interfaces' started by kavalir, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kavalir

kavalir New Member

Hello,

here is still one unclear question about changing volume in OSX on Apple computers.

I managed that some USB or FireWire cards (even with multiple outs) are able (probably thanks to good drivers) to be controlled by the core audio in OSX.

It means, you can use your system volume slider or directly volume keyboard keys to change the volume of external sound card. You need just change it in system preferences your default sound card from 'internal speakers' to the USB card.
    This is VERY handy and useful, especially in the studio or just in home, you don't have to use any analog device between sound card and speakers, just for changing of volume.

Some sound cards from M-Audio, RME and few others, are able to work like that.

Is there somebody who can confirm, this works under OSX for Audio 8 DJ or Audio 4 DJ, with the latest drivers? I read only posts, where users say, it doesn't work and you see only that picture with grayed control (attached picture file).

Thank you so much for your answer.

Attached Files:

2. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

this should work, but i cannot tell you how you achieve this on a mac (i'm on PC).

if it doesnt, please contact the support!

3. BDX

BDX Moderator

I also tried it for the A4DJ and A8DJ... no, doesn't work. I didn't find any solution. :(

4. kavalir

kavalir New Member

BDX > thanks for your reply..

I know it is only feature of the drivers. Some Cards from MOTU doesn't support that, some cards from M-Audio have this feature.

I speak with some developer from M-Audio, and he said, if the card hasn't 'analog' knob to control output volume, it is very easy to implement the volume dependance (of any stereo outputs on the card) to the main system volume.

Does anybody here have the option to close connection with support of NI or some developer? I think that normal way - contact the support is almost no chance, they will not do something with it.

This is very needed feature, i think MANY (if not all) users of OSX will be happy.

5. BDX

BDX Moderator

I reported it directly to NI.

6. kavalir

kavalir New Member

Thank you so much ! .. If the there will be a way, to provide some feedback to that developer, or make some 'beta' test for him, it would be great (through email, or whatever). I really cares about that feature, and with some my knowledge I'd like to help.
    Once again, thx.

7. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

i agree. bdx, lemme know the bug number.

8. buda5

buda5 New Member

Hi, i hope that feature too.
    I'd like to help.
    I've osx leopard 10.5.6 in iMac8,1 and tiger 10.4.11 in macbook2,1.

Thank you so much !

9. kavalir

kavalir New Member

BDX > any succesfull contact with somebody, who can confirm this feature will be implemented in some future drivers?

thanks a lot!

10. neofuxx

neofuxx New Member

i got the same problem here

i need the input 5/6 to record the output of my djm800 but i can't chose any input

Attached Files:

11. prtscr

prtscr New Member

I would really like this feature too!

12. buda5

buda5 New Member

Hi everybody, i was requesting it to Native about this feature too. I am waiting the answer. Do you have news about it?

Thanks.

13. Eirhead

Eirhead New Member

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why is this feature a big deal? If you're using the 1/4" headphone jack on the audio8 to listen to stuff, it has a volume knob for your convenience. Anything else you're routing the outputs to (primarily mixers), should have volume control for you to adjust. And you always want a strong audio signal running into your equipment before it get's amplified and speakerfied.

Please enlighten me.

EDIT: are you guys sitting back in your chairs to listen to a mix, then wanting to use a mac remote to turn to volume down (or up?) when the wife is yelling at you?

14. kavalir

kavalir New Member

Eirhead > LOL, you probably don't know what you are talking about ;)
    For what purposes is that feature, was million times explained. So search the forums and all posts.
    It doesn't matter if you are amateur user, who want to use this sound card as default output for your system, or you make arrangement in Logic, Live or whatever, you seriously need very fast and comfortable option to change the volume of your output. Use of external mixer, Mackie Big Knob or other similar hardware is very slow to use (you have always put your hands off your keyboard) and for many users useless devices (nowadays is just computer + sound card sufficient solution for music production).
    If you find headphone knob enough for you, then you don't know probably nothing about productivity and fast operation in music industry, sorry for that .. ;) good luck

15. buda5

buda5 New Member

Hello, I've a answer from NI:

"Hello,

Indeed, unfortunately you need a software to control the master volume of the
    Audio 8 DJ. Mac OS X unables to control the volume on external soundcards and
    the Audio 8 DJ has no in-built volume fader.

But I will sure note this as an improvement request : thank you for your
    feedback on our product.

Best regards, "

So, I've searched about this "software to control the volume" and now I'm trying Soundflower and ensemble that it's a good option to manage the volume.

http://soundflower.googlecode.com/files/Soundflower-1.4.3.dmg

Help at:

http://www.cycling74.com/products/soundflower

I'll send some my feedback about it.

16. kavalir

kavalir New Member

Buda5>

thanks for your info.. but:

".. Mac OS X unables to control the volume on external soundcards.."

It is a lie. Other manufactures like MOTU, M-AUDIO and others have that feature of course.

17. Eirhead

Eirhead New Member

@Kavalir

I don't do a lot of production. And when I do, my soundcard is pretty much perma plugged into my mixer / midi-keyboard setup, and it's quite convenient for me to adjust the volume on that tyvm. Computers are useless without knobs and sliders, sell me a laptop with a dozen knobs and half dozen sliders, and maybe I'll change my tune.

18. felipead

felipead New Member

Unfortunatelly, Soundflower is not compatible with Native Instruments Audio 4/8 DJ. I'm having this annoying bug right now: http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/issues/detail?id=24

Any workarounds?

19. Jhon Connor

Jhon Connor NI Product Owner

Hi,

I think I have a similar issue recording vinyl thru the Audio 4 sound card.
    Before I was recording my vynil thru my mixers output to the built in input on my Macbook Pro and with Audacity as software. The results where pretty good but I noticed that the input on the Mbp picks up a lot of noise and static.

Recently, I tried with my audio 4 and it seems to sound better and Audacity isn't picking any noise or static this time. My problem thought is that I can't really control the input volume on my mbp settings. I choose +6db on the Audio 4 panel but I feel its still a little low at recording and then the next option is +12db which i think is too loud. Audacity is at full recording input volume. I can normalize the files after thought but i would like to control the input volume as much as possible.

Any feedbacks on recording vynil with Audio 4 and input volume will be appreciated

Cheers.

Jhon

20. lime-x

lime-x New Member

Hey! Thanks buda5! It actually worked for me! Although the volume control is not as slick as the native controller, but it's better than nothing! =)))

Running great on my Macbook White with OS X 10.4.11
    I've just installed Soundflower and Soundflowerbed, then made Soundflower my default "sound card" in sys prefs and then set the Audio 8 DJ as an output source in Soundflowerbed. That's all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.