Out of the Box Thinking - How Might I "ReWire" Kore for Cubase or Nuendo?

Discussion in 'KORE' started by BIF, Aug 2, 2011.

1. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

I was just thinking. Maybe I can get away from having to use Kore as a VST but still be able to use it in Cubase and Nuendo and within the same computer as the DAW.

Could this possibly be used to avoid future incompatibilities with K8 and future releases from Native Instruments?

I know it's not inherently available in Kore, but I wonder...could it be done to use Kore in a Steinberg ReWire mode? Could I run it in another host on my DAW system and just rewire that host to my Cubase project?

If I can tie Kore to the Cubase Transport and then maintain the list of VST paths in Kore completely separate from my list of VST paths in Cubase and Nuendo, then I might be able to just record Kore output to an audio track in Cubase while still having it synced to the project tempo.

Thoughts and ideas are welcome.

2. a1mixman

a1mixman NI Product Owner

This sounds like a great solution. So basically you have 2 separate apps running and connected then switch back and forth, almost like a VST.

I wonder if you would need 2 sound cards at the same time? I wish you could do this with Kore stand alone. I wonder if NI could do something like this with the next update.

3. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

Hi.

Yeah, I don't know of a way to drive two sound cards at the same time, and that was not my thinking initially; however I would consider it.

No, what I was thinking was a way to use the Steinberg "ReWire" component to operate Kore as a slave to the Cubase transport. Kore does have a playback transport, which might be a bare minimum requirement. Or not, I don't know.

But even if Kore doesn't work directly with ReWire, I am thinking that maybe another host could be used as a non-audio ReWire slave, and could run Kore as a VST within that slave host.

If I recall correctly, Ableton Live used to work as a ReWire slave, and I do have an older version of Live which is not installed on my DAW at this time. I was thinking maybe there would be another host. Or maybe a version of "minihost" or something similar that would be a low cost or no cost alternative.

The host that runs Kore would not need to be fancy or have a lot of features, and I'm thinking it would not need to gain control of the audio interface; Cubase would be running the show.

So here would be the proposed "chain":

1. Cubase (master) ReWired to "mystery host" (slave)
    2. Mystery Host runs off to the side on my desktop and has Kore loaded as a VST and can "see" MIDI coming from the Kore controller.

In my mind's eye here's how I am thinking it might work:

When I hit "Record" on the Cubase transport, the Cubase track plays and can "hear" and record the audio output coming from the Kore VST through the mystery host via ReWire.

When I rewind the project in Cubase and hit "play" on the Cubase transport, the Cubase transport plays back, and plays the audio track with my recorded Kore output on it. At that point, Kore could even be disconnected or powered off and even the "mystery host" could be terminated because the audio track would be right there in Cubase.

It's probably a foolish line of thinking, but I am no stranger to whimsy! :eek:

4. a1mixman

Just get NI to make Kore Standalone Rewire compatible. This would solve the problem right?

5. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

Yes it would.

But it sounds like they really want to just dump it. Look at the evidence. Even Keir is not available to us anymore; he's been busy with the christening and launching of the good ship Komplete 8.

I'm of the opinion at this point that we'll get no help from Native Instruments, and I even suspect that 64 bit may not happen. If I'm right, then any ingenuity will have to come from ourselves.

6. a1mixman

There isn't some sort of Rewire "wrapper" that can be used with non Rewire apps? I know nothing of Rewire, so just thinking "outside the box" :)

7. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

Nope, I appreciate it. I shall research. Thanks, man!

8. a1mixman

Keep us posted.

9. hi-d-ho-man

hi-d-ho-man NI Product Owner

10. iLex

iLex NI Product Owner

Even if they don't make Kore ReWire compatible, you might be able to run two VST hosts and Rewire those together.
    http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/index.cfm?article=rewire&fuseaction=get_article
    Say you use the current version of Sonar and slave it to whatever new version of Cubase you are running. You open Kore as a VST in Sonar and you're good to go :)
    If this works with the cheap Sonar you are done for 80 bucks or so.
    It might eat a bit too much of your RAM and CPU for the purpose, though.

Maybe there is even a dedicated VST host (the ones you use to make VSTs act like standalone) that is ReWire compatible... i don't know all the apps in the list, so can't say if there is one there.

11. theoryzero

theoryzero NI Product Owner

I guess I'm not seeing the benefit of ReWire. You can run Kore standalone and pipe the audio data into your host? But it's on the same PC? I don't understand how that circumvents the update issue we are anticipating with the Maschine updates.

One option for two computers would be VST System Link. You could have one PC with the latest updates and another that would be Kore 2 PC with the last Kore-compliant updates.

Looking at the Cubase manual this seems not nearly as simple as they make it out to be, and I'm not sure it's worth the effort for me personally. However, for those interested I thought I would mention it.

12. zeoka

zeoka NI Product Owner

You can synchronize kore as master with reaper with loopbe
    and use rearoute (integrated asio streaming) to record asio tracks.
    That 's work too.

13. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

Hi Folks:

I lost track of this thread for several days and it fell down to page 2.

Yes, iLex; that's precisely what I'm thinking about.

I already have Sonar X1 and Cubase 6, so I should be good to go. It's just a matter of setting aside the time to test it.