Painful installation

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by BB King, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BB King

BB King NI Product Owner

Install - Register - Update
    Re-update
    Re-install - re-register - re-update
    Reboot
    Check the drivers
    Check the documentation
    Check the readmes
    Check the knowledge base
    Check the newsgroups
    Re-install everything but the library
    Reboot
    Register - update
    Re-install everything
    Reboot
    Install the drivers through Windows (Device Manager - search for driver)
    Register - update
    Try app - drivers failing again
    Re-check newsgroups
    Re-install the drivers through Windows

Hey, it works! :confused:

But do I have the latest drivers? I don't know... what I know is that it seems to be working. And that's a good thing.

But this had to be one the most painful installs in my life. And I installed OS/2 2.1 on floppy disks.

At least that's behind me! And I am really happy about that. But it's weird... I never had any problem with NI products before. What is different here?

I just wanted to share that with the community... get that out of my system.

Cheers!

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Why were you having the problems?

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81567

Read my last couple posts in the thread. The upcoming update (and all after that) will have an automatic stop NIHardwareService command before the PC driver install. I tried it after just unplugging the controller without stopping the HardwareService or using the safely remove hardware command; while normally the install would have gone screwy there forcing a reboot/reinstall, it worked fine.

ew

3. BB King

BB King NI Product Owner

I am not sure. It seems that the drivers were never installed correctly. Here's the thing: when I was installing, I was getting the message to unplug Maschine. I never had anything telling me to replug Maschine at any point. So I ended up replugging Maschine only once the full installation was done. So the drivers seemed to be installed incorrectly.

To have the drivers correctly installed (after the installation of the whole software), I had to go into Windows "Device Manager", and re-install the drivers from there automatically (Windows looks for the drivers, finds them on my C: drive or my DVD drive, and installs them). And this time, I made sure Maschine was plugged-in.

The thing I don't understand is that, after that, I installed the 1.0.2 patch, and the drivers stopped working (Maschine was still plugged in). I had to re-install the drivers the same way I did before.

I am not quite sure why I had to go through all this.

I never had to go through what you mention in the other thread.

4. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

?

All the Maschine installer does is write the drivers to your drive and makes sure Windows knows where to find them. When you plug the controller in afterwards (you did that right), the "found new hardware wizard" will pop up; it's supposed to. Don't let it go online to find new drivers and let it install the drivers automatically- done.

ew

5. BB King

BB King NI Product Owner

!

What? Geez... I didn't know that. So that would explain why I lost hours installing that thing.

But if you look at the getting started manual, it is not really clear. Just look at section 2.3.1. Look at point 9: "On Windows XP, the following screen should appear:". What screen? Then on point 11, "On the following screen...", what screen are they talking about? In my mind, they are talking about the NI installer, so I didn't consider the Windows "found new hardware wizard" screen.

I never install any driver this way. Usually, an installer takes care of installing the drivers itself, and the "found new hardware wizard" does not pop up. I never had to go through that with Kore for example. :confused:

I am sure I was a little tired. But the manual sure didn't help. Or did I miss something?

6. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

They don't have the image- hence I could see some confusion. However, by the following description, they're telling you exactly what's happening and what you should see, correct? And, it told you to plug in after the installer's finished; doesn't that imply the next part's the OS?

And, the latest Kore driver/AK 1 driver/RK driver installs the same way, so yes- you did go through that with Kore...

ew

7. BB King

BB King NI Product Owner

Oh well... I didn't remember going through this procedure with Kore. And yes, I can see you are right... they are saying to plug in the Maschine after the installer's finished. So I missed that. :|

I am not complaining. Like my original post said, I am really happy it is working now. I just wanted to share my experience with other Maschine users, as this the place to do that. Even if it was my fault, it doesn't change the fact that the experience was really painful for me. And I am surprised, because I never have any problem installing anything. (OK, besides OS/2)

I only thought this post could be helpful to other people. So if you want me to tell you that my problems are my fault, well, yes, I recognize it might be partly my fault. But I still find that the installation procedure is not clear enough. That's just my opinion. It might be because I read it too fast. It might be because English is not my mother tongue. Or maybe I just love screen shots?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.