People who moved from a Studio to a Mk III - anything to share? do you prefer it?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by basehead617, Jan 7, 2020.

1. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I'm considering ditching my Studio for a Mk III to get a smaller footprint device (also it actually has more support, like better integration with logic etc.). I read the whole manual for changes last night and it appears there's not really anything the Studio could do that it can't. I'd be losing multiple MIDI Outs but i can deal with that via thru and channels. I was concerned it wasn't as easy to change sound/group/master volume but I see that behavior was replicated too. There are various button location and command changes I'd have to get used to but nothing too bad.

My main remaining concern is that i'm so used to the jog wheel - being a righty i feel like using the 4D encoder with my left hand will feel awkward. I wish it had been on the right side. Also, does the 4D encoder move around the project (by beat/bar) like the jog wheel does? I couldn't find that in the manual.

Anything else I should be aware of before going that route, that you had trouble with?

I also don't care about the audio interface but oh well...

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I do prefer the MK3 but this is a bit subjective, it's a win some lose some situation but I think the new layout and footprint makes more sense.

I missed the extra buttons a lot at the start but now I've gotten used to using the pad combos, after you adapt muscle memory it's pretty much just as fast. I miss the volume LED's too, I expected it to be added to the screens somehow but that never happened. There's a bunch of threads about the pros and cons out there, they're still relevant.

I seriously doubt any new hw will be announced at NAMM but in your shoes, I would wait a couple of weeks just in case, i'd be pretty upset if i bought an mk3 today and a week from now they released a new version.

Playhead control? Yes, it's Shift+Encoder rotation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Hilariously, I missed the volume LEDs so much that it was one of the final things that pushed me to pick up a Jam to go alongside my MK3.

I really like the MK3, I find it weird to use a Studio at this point after having used the MK3 for so long. As I and many others are always saying; all of NI's hardware has so much potential, it's just the software that's holding it back from reaching further potential with the current generation of hardware.

4. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

I just out the studio aside now and stick to mk3 since it has more features. Handles just as good​

5. Veiss

Veiss NI Product Owner

Completely worth switching to the MK3 for several reasons:
    • It's an audio interface
    • The pads are better
    • Smart Strip for perform FX/Note/Mod/Pitch control
    • The pad mode buttons above the pads are more intuitive
    • Smaller footprint
    • Variation button
    • Bus Power(it's been a while, if I recall correctly the Studio needs to be plugged in)
    Additional features that aren't that big a deal to me but kinda nice:
    • Bigger note repeat button
    • Multifunction LED browse/control knob
    • File and Settings buttons
    The tactile feel is all-around just nicer IMO. While there are some workflow changes to get used to I think they are over all more conducive to better productivity. Having less travel distance between buttons/functions is a bigger deal than you might think at first.

Definitely recommend pairing it with the JAM. The Smart Strips on it are very powerful for quick mixing and macro/parameter control and the pad matrix is awesome for switching through different LOCK states in addition to patterns and scenes. It's probably my favorite midi controller ever for visual software as well. Great price point too. Would love to see an MK2 someday.

Wait till NAMM at least to see if the rumored standalone Maschine comes out. Highly doubt we'll see it or Maschine 3, but one can hope!
    Maybe sell the Studio before there's another model making it even harder to get rid of for a decent price, If you can be without a Maschine for a while...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

It's really easy for some people to talk themselves into something just for the sake of doing it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. basehead617

So you're implying I don't actually want a smaller footprint on my desk? :confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. D-One

I've always felt like the Studio was unnecessarily huge just for the sake of looking more like a high-end MPC 5000 and giving the "pro" vibe tbh... 8 years ago big = good perception wise, nowadays things are different.

• Like Like x 2
  9. j.silva

j.silva NI Product Owner

I have the Studio. Plenty of space on my desk. It was a choice between $700 for the MK3 (price shipped to PR) or $300 for an used Studio.
    "Never miss what you never had" -Belo Zero (Do Or Die)

10. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

I'm still using the Studio since 2014. Love the big jog wheel, I'm not a fan of the 4 way encoder on the MK3. I can scroll a lot faster using the jog wheel on my Studio than using the 4 way encoder on my KK MK2.
    Also, on the Studio the jogwheel is on the right side of the unit, being right handed this makes more sense to me. I used to have a Maschine MK2 before I had my Studio and never liked the placement of the encoder.
    I also don't have an issue with the size of the Studio.

11. basehead617

That's my biggest fear, losing the jog wheel and feeling weird using my left hand.

I guess i can try it and return it if needed.

12. D-One

The jog wheel is definitively more ergonomic, in that sense, I prefer it too for many tasks especially scrolling thru lists (presets, kits etc...), it's also easier to use with just one finger and a circular motion, I sort of miss that even though it's not a major concern. I've actually thought about buying a compatible jog-like bigger button but not sure if it would work correctly in the 4 direction buttons.

Really? Interesting... I am also right-handed and for me it's the same as wearing a watch:
    A right-handed person generally uses a watch on the left wrist because your right hand has more dexterity thus is busier a lot more often, so if your doing something with your right hand you can still see the time with your left hand, the same applies to the MK3 IMO since my 'stronger' hand stays on the pads, scrolling doesn't require much dexterity/skill while performing on pads does.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

So basically we need a Studio MK2 :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

I have the both. At home I use only Studio, if I travel, I use MK3.

I like jogwheel and separate buttons for Copy/Paste Undo/Redo, .... And volume meter. But for that I could also use my Jam.

If I would have own only one, it would be hard. I would like MK3 style with Jog Wheel and edit buttons (Copy/Paste, ...) And possibly volume meter and adjustment.

Yes, Studio MK2 would be fine. And I would not mind if it is smaller than MK1. :)

15. basehead617

Damn I didn't even think of that.. I can't imagine having to constantly make grabbing and turning motions scrolling through those huge preset lists on the controller.

16. D-One

First world problems hun? :D I'm used to it, I dont really scroll that much for it to be a real problem... it took me a lot longer to get used to no dedicated undo button for example.

PLZ NO. Wait... how about a modular appendix thingy, for 100$ to add whats missing for when we are at home?
    Problem solved, make it happen NI, also... Announce it now at NAMM 2020 next week and trow in a spec-eq with visual feedback too while at it. Dont forget my royalties, I accept PayPal thanks.

[​IMG]
    :D:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

I won't lie, this would be an instant purchase for me. Being able to stick it next to my QWERTY keyboard would be awesome, and the extra screen would also be very cool if we could have EQ etc on it. The similar footprint Traktor Kontrol units are also nice.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

+1 for modular. That would be the dream fulfilled.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

NO! :D You chose to replace your Studio with an MK3, so you must live without the awesome jogwheel forever! :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher NI Product Owner

oooooooo . That module concept :)

Mosher approved !

• Like Like x 2