PHARLIGHT Asio/CPU discussion

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Simon Drake, May 22, 2020.

1. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

I think it shows time needed to process an audio buffer, similar to Ableton Live. This will never match how Task Manager shows things. It might also depend on how Kontakt's multicore option is set up, etc.

2. Arthur Neeman

Arthur Neeman NI Product Owner

Then there shouldn't be written CPU. With these three letters anyone understand the processor with hundreds of pins attached to motherboard. But not something theoretical. Kontakt options have Multiprocessor option (I have 8 cores selected), but it isn't multi core option (there is difference), but in any way it works in the way I really don't understand. My CPU is free enough to launch multiple SpaceX super heavy rockets at once, but cannot work properly with such "a simple" library :D

P.S. Loaded 3 instances of Pharlight, muted Delays + loaded 1 instance of Straylight. All default presets. Kontakt shows 50% CPU usage, Task Manager shows 30% CPU usage.

Just testing :) But these testing steps gave me some nice ideas for my upcoming album.

3. EvilDragon

Multiprocessing option = Multicore option. Semantics in this case. Even supported by Wikipedia, if you will ("there are many variations on this basic theme, and the definition of multiprocessing can vary with context, mostly as a function of how CPUs are defined (multiple cores on one die, multiple dies in one package, multiple packages in one system unit, etc.").

CPU can be measured in a number of ways. Depending on context and requirements, either of them are valid.

4. Arthur Neeman

Okay. I guess many of us here have their own conclusion use or not to use Pharlight/Straylight in line with upgrade or not upgrade hardware. But if both ignoring libraries and upgrading hardware are impossible, just mute some Replika delays in preset.

There are 4 Replika Delays in a preset:
    1. Grain layer Effectts
    2. Sample Layer Effects
    3. Master
    4. Send FX

I'm sure the same or similar richness in sounding we can achieve by using Raum Reverb. So for me Pharlight and Straylight are good libraries with their funcionality (grain, layering, filtering), but let FX chain are up to everyone's taste outside of library. IMHO ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. andy_t

andy_t NI Product Owner

It's more than often the case of poor coding when the ASIO/realtime peak starts going like crazy IF you have half decent machine. Now I'm running 16-core AMD 3950x and my thinking is if I have an empty session open and I open any plugin VSTi the ASIO/cpu should not go on red - Or something is off. THere are certain plugins etc. which have their flaws, but often can be worked around with JBridge, session management, plugin version etc. Usually the workaround is either JBridge or VEP. I just opened up Kontakt and loaded Pharlight - Alchemist patch and ASIO meter jumps to red immediately when play a 3-5 note chord. Asiobuffer size is 64. Try again this time Kontakt JBridged version and... Alchemist patch with all the FX included. ASIO meter jumps on a 4note chord around 37% and fades gently down to 6-12%. CPU usage in Task Manger shows between 6-7%. Turning off the delay FX cuts usage in half. I keep Kontakt (plugin) settings multicore support always OFF. And I open up a new Kontakt instance for the next instrument ---> This let's Cubase/windows allocate to other processors, the usual stuff.

Btw. when I turn off the delay fx in Kontakt/Pharlight the ASIOMETER immediately spikes to 100% and comes down... Same on both delay FX. This kind of things - ASIO spiking - often happened with plugins that had poor coding and "too high cpu usage" and often after a while there came an update and some microcode something was updated and now it's much lower cpu usage. Atleast that has been my experience. Ok, time to dig in Komplete sounds...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arthur Neeman

EvilDragon , you are wise and perfectly know the theory of hardware and a little programming ( :D ). But are you a composer? For us - composers - the best and fastest way to get to the target is not to upgrade hardware every year.

I decided to upgrade from K12UCE to K13UCE just to have solo strings. Thank God Cremona Quartet is without FX and Sequencer pages :D :D :D

7. EvilDragon

And where exactly did I suggest hardware should be upgraded every year?

One more jab at my person and you will be getting an infraction. Don't hide behind emoticons, it's pretty obvious you're not joking here.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  8. sagetone

sagetone NI Product Owner

This has been a very interesting thread to read. Thanks all for the insights on using Pharlight and Straylight. My DAW, custom built, has Core i7 5820K, 32GB DDR4, program drive is SSD, samples drive is HDD. (Was planning a grounds up rebuild this year, but global semiconductor supply issues have thrown a wrinkle into those plans), DAW is Bitwig, just upgraded Komplete to 13 Ultimate.

Hyperthreading disabled, 6 cores run at 3.3Ghz. I tried O/C'ing, helped a bit, but not enough to keep it there, so went back to base freq. I tried moving Pharlight and Straylight directories to faster SSD, that didn't help much. I've ended up settling on three things: temporarily increasing buffers to 512 (normally set at 256; SR is 48Khz), slightly decrease voice limit in Grain layer (eg, if 8, decrease to 6), and deactivate Delays in FX.