1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE
NOTICE:

Our Traktor Pro Public Beta is available again in our new online community. Join us if you want to try new features.

MORE INFO

phono preamps on audio 8DJ

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR Audio Interfaces' started by sorin, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sorin

sorin Forum Member

on the NI sight under the top features for the Audio 8 DJ it says that the Audio 8 has

"2 optional phono preamps with high impedance input mode"

Optional?...... how do I know if my audio 8 DJ has this option or how do you order an audio 8 DJ with this option installed, also what benefits does this option have compared to units with out it. Very confusing....

2. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Optional as in you don't have to use them. But they're already on there, and can be configured to some extent using the control panel. Hope that clears up some of your confusion.

3. sorin

sorin Forum Member

Ok..... so when playing vinyl why do you have to use the phono preamps on your mixer cant you just use the ones in the audio 8 DJ?

4. ProfBX

ProfBX NI Product Owner

The phono preamps are built in for the timecode. When using the Multi-Core cables, the signal is split and you won't be using them.

5. sorin

sorin Forum Member

so what you are saying is that they activate when the timecode vinyl is being used and when you put a normal record on they shut down and that's why you need to use the phono amps on your mixer....

6. TeLLy

Nope you can use the phono preamps on the Audio8 as well. I do all the time, I leave the phono cables unplugged and just go through Traktor, activating the Audio Through feature to play regular records.

7. ProfBX

ProfBX NI Product Owner

Not quite. The multicore cables make it so that the original signal can go to your mixer at the same time as the soundcard signal, so you can use both (and not have to worry about unplugging things if you don't have your interface powered up).

8. sorin

sorin Forum Member

So if you have your audio 8 powered up all the time you can just use 4 regular RCA's with female to female adapters and use the phono preamps in the audio 8 and then go into a line input on your mixer....correct

also I read in an older post that only channels 1234 have the phono preamps and channels 5678 are line only. Is this true or do all the ins have the phono preamps on the audio 8

9. TeLLy

Only 1/2 and 3/4 are preamped.

10. sorin

sorin Forum Member

Now I understand why u get distorted output when you connect a CD player to channels 1/2 3/4.....

basically you cant use audio thought on channels 1/2 3/4 with a cd player cause the phono preamp kicks in and distorts the output...am I correct in saying this...

11. TeLLy

You can indeed use 1/2 and 3/4 for CD/Line audio through as long as you select LINE for the input. If phono is selected the preamp turns on.

12. sorin

sorin Forum Member

Oh OK I see.....

13. sorin

sorin Forum Member

I never knew that NI had a manual for the audio 8DJ a lot of my questions are answered in it. Why not include one in the Traktor box...

Thanks Native girl for posting the link to it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.