Physical memory?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by dudaah, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudaah

dudaah New Member

Whenever I try to load for example The Grand from CD 3 (now resides on my IBM 60gb 7200 hard drive) I get a message saying:

"Physical memory is getting low.
    Loading more samples might cause problems

Really proceed loading?"

Is there a way to increase physical memory? I'm running:

PC with Win 98 SE
    Duron 900 Mhz
    640 MB ram

Or is my computer just to slow? I know that Native suggests a athlon athlon XP or duron 1ghz...

I know I have had some similar problems with Halion when trying to load big chunks of wav files. It bugs me and I would really appreciate help.

Thanks,

2. Ben Hu

Ben Hu Forum Member

It's most likely that you have too much in RAM when you try to load that instrument. How large is that instrument? I suspect it may be over 100MB but I haven't used it yet. Are you running other applications in the background? Do you already have other instruments loaded?

3. Ben Hu

Ben Hu Forum Member

207MB Acoustic Grand
    104MB Acoustic Grand S

I assume you chose one of these. They are sizeable. Check to see how much memory the operating system any other applications are consuming.

4. dudaah

dudaah New Member

in ram

Well I have some applications running in the background such as Norton. But other than that nothing that takes space in ram.

And I have no other vsti's loaded at the moment when I have tried to Load The Grand into Kontakt.

How do I check how much memory the operating system and other applications waste?

5. Spirit

Spirit Forum Member

!

Norton is not a good app to run in the backgropund on a DAW. I was doing that and getting some odd unexplained crashes supposedly "caught" by Norton, but I suspect in fact Norton was causing them.

Also, you can't run more than 512Mb RAM on Win98 without doing some pretty involved tweaks. This might also be part of your problem. Go back to 512Mb.

6. Ben Hu

Ben Hu Forum Member

Maybe instead of running 98, switch to XP if possible. I haven't used 98 in such a long time that I don't know how or if you can check resident memory sizes.

Also, you say this instrument is called The Grand? I don't have that on Disc3. The only 'real' piano I see is Acoustic Grand. Are we looking at the same instrument?

7. dudaah

dudaah New Member

yeah

We are looking at the same instrument.

About XP, yeah maybe I'll try that again. But I have recently switched back to Win 98 again as I couldn't get Cubase 5.1 to work smoothly on XP. Maybe it's time to update to SX then but I have tried the beta version and being an old school atari guy I don't really recognize myself in that environment, something I do in 5.1. :)

Thanks for baring with me and trying to help a brotha out...

8. Ben Hu

Ben Hu Forum Member

Switching to XP would be good but I understand your reluctance to switch to SX. It's a great program but depending on how you use midi in 5.1, you may not like SX - especially with Kontakt. I miss loop midi recording (it's more of a loop and replace in SX but at least Steinberg knows about it). Also, when loop recording midi, even the replace doesn't work properly. I think it has to do with VST instruments in general but when using Kontakt, old notes ghost into successive loops.

Anyway, XP would solve your memory problem... but so would disk streaming in Kontakt if NI would support it ;-). I'm pretty sure you will be able to get Cubase 5.1 running smoothly in XP too.

9. dudaah

dudaah New Member

The Problem...

...I had when running 5.1 under XP was that my system froze from time to time. A problem I don't have under Win 98 so that's why I switched back.

So I guess I have to live with the Physical Memory problem for now until I decide to switch to XP again. :)

Thanks,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.