1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

'Physical' outputs into SOv5 changed names

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Maarten Franken, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Maarten Franken

Maarten Franken NI Product Owner

When I open the output list at the top of the Kontakt window, the outputs that are send to the Studio One Pro 5 mixer channels, normally look like this:
    Kt. st.1 - [Output Channel Name]
    Kt. st.2 - [Output Channel Name]
    Kt. st.3 - ...
    etc...
    However, the first part of the labels has changed and now look like:
    Kt. Violin I - [Output Channel Name]
    Kt. Violin II - [Output Channel Name]
    Kt. Viola - [Output Channel Name]
    etc...
    Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 13.46.26.png
    This is done for every instance of Kontakt in every song, even songs where there's nothing linked in Kontakt to names like Violin I/Violin II/Viola/etc... Or even where there arent any names from these instruments in the whole worksheet. The picture above is taken from a completely empty worksheet, with no tracks, channels, or assignments at all.
    The channels in the output section all have their own name (either st.1, st. 2, etc... by default, as seen in the picture, or something I entered as label), this is different for every instance of Kontakt. I really dont have a clue where the 'Kt. Violin I' label-names come from...
    When I open the output assignment window, I find the same labels in the physical output list, where I'm used to see 'Kt. st.1', 'Kt. st.2', etc...
    Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 13.49.34.png
    When I look in the stand alone version, I see the actual physical output names from the audio interface in these spots, like 'Main Out L', 'Main Out R', etc.

How do I reset the physical output labels to the original labels (Kt. st.1, Kt. st.2, etc), or change them into my own choice of names?

2. Robin Kettelhake

Robin Kettelhake New Member

Hey Maarten,

Have you found a solution to this problem yet?
    I'm encountering the same issue and it's very frustrating that this is not easy and obvious to change in the Kontakt interface.

- Robin

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Well-Known Member

I don't think this is a bug, but more of a conscious decision.

4. Robin Kettelhake

I’ve already found the solution which is to rename the outputs in Kontakt to your preferred output names and then saving that output routing with said names as the default for all formats. Not very difficult but still this seems very inefficient and very unclear to probably a lot of people I can imagine. I also have no idea why this would be a conscious decision. In my opinion the Kontakt interface is pretty outdated and can use updates on a lot of fronts.

5. EvilDragon

The whole output handling is unfortunately a byproduct of how VST2 works - it had no dynamic plugin output reassignment facilities. VST3 brought some improvements there, but not all DAWs support those improvements equally, whereas VST2 method always works. So that's just how it is.

6. Robin Kettelhake

What? What are you talking about? I honestly don’t understand. I’m talking purely about the layout of the Kontakt interface which is just simply outdated compared to modern plugins. Has nothing to do with VST2 or VST3. Wether I load VST2, 3 or AU versions doesn’t change the functionality of this Kontakt version.

7. Robin Kettelhake

What Maarten asked was such an easy question which should be very evident to any user and shouldn’t even have to be a problem in the first place. That was what this thread was about from the beginning. It’s literally just a matter of easily renaming the outputs from the Kontakt instance.

8. EvilDragon

Yes, renaming the outputs is tied to the VST2/VST3 API itself. For VST2 hosts don't automatically rename outputs when the plugin changes their names. Some hosts have workarounds for this, some don't, so the only way to ensure this works correctly is by saving the Kontakt's output layout as default and reloading the Kontakt instance. Regardless if it's VST2 or VST3.