1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Pinning NI products to Windows Taskbar

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Reefius, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

Why is it that with every update of an NI product, it needs to be re-pinned to the taskbar in Windows? No other software has this problem after installing updates.

After updating an NI product, the pinned icon on my taskbar turns white and gets deleted when I click on it, so the only way to get it back is to re-pin it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

A late response, but ey ;)

This is not something exclusive to N.I., I've had the same experience with Max and Live and a few other programs. Including MS Office itself!

The 'problem' here is actually Windows 10; the start menu is now controlled by an individual process which will also check for consistency of all the links which are in there. Meaning that if a program suddenly disappears then it will also remove the entries from the start menu. It's actually pretty cool because this ensures that you don't get any stale links in the menu.

For example.. Despite its age I use Wavosaur as my main audio editor. You need to manually install this by extracting the ZIP file somewhere and then add it to your start menu (if you want that of course). So here's the thing... I have this installed in C:\Program Files\Wavosaur. Guess what happens if I rename the directory to 'Wavosaur2'? I'll tell you: then Windows will automatically detect this and change the link in the menu entry accordingly. All on its own.

So now imagine what would happen if a program gets completely removed...

3. augustus44

augustus44 NI Product Owner

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019