1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

In Sticky Play / Convert Samples To Mono

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by D-One, Aug 28, 2017.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Ability to Play or Convert samples to Mono.
    It would be nice to both 2 options if possible, Convert would be destructive and also some other nondestructive way.

Convert.
    This could be done in the Sampling Edit page, there should be a 'Settings' button (like the Stretch option has)
    Using the first encoder would select between:
    • Keep the left channel only.
    • Keep the right channel only.
    • Sum both channels to mono.
    Once 'Apply' is pressed the sample is destructively converted with the selected channel option.

[​IMG]

Playback (nondestructive - 2 Options)
    1 - Some sort of built-in utility/effect plugin for non-destructive purposes. It could simple with just an options to keep left, right or sum both channels, or more have more advanced features like how wide or narrow a sample/sound is. This could also be used for instruments.
    2 - On the Sampler add another menu with scrollable mono options (like sound engine emulations and filters)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  2. RandomSkratch

RandomSkratch NI Product Owner

Would love this feature. Keeps you in the program/workflow.

• Like Like x 2
  3. FrankieFilth

FrankieFilth NI Product Owner

:thumbsup: x 101

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lowkus

Lowkus NI Product Owner

Rather than a pure "Mono" switch, how about a knob that can move a sound's stereo field toward the center?

Sample values of the knob with left/right mix equations:

0% = Mono.
    (0.5 * Left + 0.5 * Right) ___ (0.5 * Left + 0.5 * Right)

10% = Mostly Mono.
    (0.55 * Left + 0.45 * Right) ___ (0.45 * Left + 0.55 * Right)

50% = Halfway between stereo and mono.
    (0.75 * Left + 0.25 * Right) ___ (0.25 * Left + 0.75 * Right)

90% = Mostly Stereo.
    (0.95 * Left + 0.05 * Right) ___ (0.05 * Left + 0.95 * Right)

100% = Stereo.
    (1.0 * Left + 0.0 * Right) --- (0.0 * Left + 1.0 * Right)

• Like Like x 2
  5. komeci

komeci NI Product Owner

+1

• Like Like x 1
  6. samms

samms NI Product Owner

yes please! i'm specially for the nondestructive way. one knob on the engine tab, with just the option to switch between stereo, L and R would be great. being nondestructive is huge for me, specially on one shot drum samples from older records. lots of times, later throughout the production stages, i end up changing from L to R or viceversa, just because the other side sounds better in the overall mix.

this would basically eliminate my desire for more then 16 internal outs. since i do this with so many sounds, i end up routing so many sounds to the daw, just to split the audio

• Like Like x 2
  7. bargale

bargale New Member

The real issue is that maschine doesn't work in mono at all, only double mono.
    You can test it by using a mono plugin on a mono track and you'll realize that the output grows by 6db, it happens because it sums both sides.
    Meaning it's not a real mono signal.
    This is bad CPU management....

• Like Like x 1
  8. granmah

granmah NI Product Owner

+1!!!!

9. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

10. granmah

granmah NI Product Owner

My goodness, this post just need to go to the top!!! :) A sampler without mono playing/editing. What a mess

11. DelTheComputer

DelTheComputer New Member

12. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

13. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

Yes please. And i would love to see the option D-One mentions about keeping the left or right channel only.

To add to this, I would like this implemented via a utility, like in Ableton. So i can make any synth or sound mono before or after effect processing.

14. granmah

granmah NI Product Owner

Native guys, implement these freaking MONO capabilities in your SCRUM board NOW!!!! :D :D :D

15. affinia

affinia NI Product Owner

Worth +1

16. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

I use BX solo it free and does a great job

17. granmah

granmah NI Product Owner

Can't believe this hasn't happened yet :(

• Like Like x 1
  18. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Cross your fingers and hope that in 2019 someone realizes that it’s cool to add sampler features to a sampler... cause this is not happening this year.

19. granmah

granmah NI Product Owner

Holly Christ, please stop developing fancy things and focus on the foundation of important things, a sampler without stereo to mono capabilities? Can't believe we're in 2019

20. Jeru

Jeru New Member

+1000 we need real mono capabilities PRONTO!!

• Like Like x 1