Playlist Dividers.

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Karlos Santos, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

This has been requested before but I've made a (poor) mockup to show what could be done.

When working in large playlists I often section of certain genres or parts of the playlist that I want to refer back to. I do this by placing a track that is one second long (so it does not add to the overall playlist time) and it is formatted to show a separation in the playlist.

The track looks like this

==========================Divide=======================120****====

I place this track between groups of songs to subdivide a long playlist.

It would be great is we could click on a playlist and use the menu to 'Insert Playlist Divider' and Traktor inserts a bar to separate tracks .

It would be great if we could sort between the dividers by any field and only the tracks between the dividers change order. They can be re-order to their original position using the number column.

Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 14.50.13.png

Dividers.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. alec.tron

alec.tron NI Product Owner

Or, allow people to inject arbitrary 'track 'entries that could be used for general notes / an ascii string of the users choosing... I'm still surprised no one (NI/SDJ/RB/etc) has this - but being able to something inside a playlist , to eg scribble down things you want to remember in relation to a given playlist at a specified place in the playlists time (I would want to use it for notes about vinyl records ) - or as dividers as suggested here. I think is a very nice to have.
    Sub-sorting after a divider is a nice idea right there too!
    c.

3. peu

peu New Member

Yes, as a "hybrid" dj, I too want to add vinyl tracks as text to my playlists. Can't be that difficult..

4. djmasaka

djmasaka New Member

Nice! would use this for sure

5. nr1cristi

nr1cristi NI Product Owner

Nice ideea... theese breakes are usefull .. i was also thagging a blank mp3 with a line :)
    + 10

6. slackerofthemind

slackerofthemind NI Product Owner

Karlos this is brilliant.

I was talking to some friends about this yesterday — organising a vinyl crate, I stack triplets together, but each 12" always contains 3–4+ tracks, of course, so you discover b-sides. With digital djing, it's more about 'singles'...

Using a simple divider like this would allow me to group subsections of my playlist into vinyl-style triplets, and list full EPs by artist. It would give my eyes a break and conceptually allow me to navigate the list like I do a record crate.

Simple and brilliant UX suggestion... not holding my breath though...

7. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

8. djberrie

djberrie New Member

9. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

Had to bump this corker of an idea.

10. Jaxx2002

Jaxx2002 New Member

Great idea +1