1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Please add VST3 thank you!

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by Freddie H, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Freddie H

Freddie H NI Product Owner

Please add VST3 thank you!

I'm surprise that Native Instruments haven't already?
    You are leader on all other kind of technology together with SOFTTUBE so its strange that you limp in this matter?
    Why haven't you add VST3 compatibility already? You can't say its no point only Cubase / Nuendo support it even though that should be enough of reasons.

AAX support only Pro Tools 11 and that you have no problem to add. If I'm not mistaken there are more users on Cubase / Nuendo / Studio One, FL Studio + more...platforms that do support VST3 already then it are users on Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools 10.

As for today more and more DAWs support VST3 like Studio One etc. So its not just Cubase and Nuendo anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
    Freddie

2. jackn2mpu

jackn2mpu NI Product Owner

You might want to get your facts straight on Pro Tools, NI and AAX. First off AAX is not only PT11 but PT10 where it started. And the current state of AAX from NI is not the version that works in PT11 which uses AAX2 64 bit but the original AAX 32 bit spec. Those are two totally different beasts.

You're not the same Freddie that's a member over on the Cakewalk Sonar forums are you? My apologies if you're not; it's just that the name and posting style are familiar.

3. Airyck

Airyck NI Product Owner

I would also like this for simple sidechaining
    +1

4. Freddie H

I don't know what you all talk about or WHAT NI IS WAITING ON?
    Seems pretty straight forward to me. No extra program skills needed to add a VST3.x format.

Steinberg focus their efforts entirely on the development of VST 3. The latest SDK--------------> RENDERS SOFTWARES IN VST 3.x, VST 2.x and AU format.

//Timo Wildenhain continues: "The VST interface is extremely popular throughout the world of music production and recording, and the latest enhancements in VST 3.6, such as Inter-App Audio compatibility, pave the way for an even wider acceptance."//

5. jackn2mpu

Freddie:
    Evidently you've never done any programming. It's not easy or straightforward to add the functionality of a whole new plugin format to a plugin. Just having a software development kit does not make it automatic to do ANYTHING - it's just a tool to help in the code writing. It's not as easy as inputting what you want done to your existing code (or even writing new code) and having the sdk chew on it and spit out a functioning program. If it were you'd have myriad people putting out mediocre or even dangerous stuff. To make the analogy even simpler - you can't just throw together a bunch of ingredients into a pan, pop it into an oven, turn on the heat and have a souffle come out. The cook needs to do certain things at certain times and has to know what he's doing or else the souffle doesn't puff up or if it does it falls flat. And trust me - a flat souffle isn't what you want.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Freddie H

Hi! :)

Thanks for that kind reply. No, a flat soufflé isn't what I want! ;)

I see what you mean and you are right its not easy but it can be done if just want to. Many other big manufactories support VST3 already.
    I hope Native Instruments add this very soon to their product-line.

Its has been a most wanted feature to support VST3 format for years and its not just me that want this. As you perhaps already know, VST2.4 is "dead" not official supported anymore. VST3 is here to stay and many of us that use DAWs that support VST3 wants all this new functionality that comes with VST3. Our daily job would be so much easier. :)

That's all! Thanks in advance!

Best Regards
    Freddie

7. jackn2mpu

Where do you get that VST 2.4 is dead and not supported? Try telling that to the developers that still code for it. Until you get every daw supporting vst3 there's not going to be a necessity for it. Why should NI get into something that provides no useful purpose?

8. Freddie H

There are many benefits and good reason to update to VST3. You said :"Until you get every DAW supporting vst3 there's not going to be a necessity for it".
    Really?!

The I can say the same thing about AAX 2 or RTAS. Only Pro Tools 11 support AAX2 x64 so absolutely no "necessity" to add that support especially now when a minority still use PRO TOOLS and majority use all other DAWs. ;)

Also today all most all DAWs already support VST3 and soon we are ALL. It will be perhaps only PRO TOOLS that wont support it. They now even talk about LOGIC consider to add VST3 support too. Reaper and Samplitude is up next for sure.

But I understand that you don't care.. you are on Pro Tools. If you compare AAX2 to other formats there are more benefits and functionality included in VST3.x then example AAX2 64bit format that only work with Pro Tools 11.

DAWs that support VST3: Cubase / Nuendo / Studio One, SONAR X3, FL Studio, Bitwig, and perhaps in a near future...( Reaper), (Samplitude), (DP), (LOGIC)

Think about it!

Best Regards
    Freddie

9. jackn2mpu

I am thinking about it and I agree with what Evil Dragon said in another of your threads on this - there's no real benefit to NI adding vst3 support. As to Logic adding vst3 support - don't bet the farm on it. They'll still stay with what they have; Apple's not a company to waste money on something they don't think the market has a need for, elsewise they'd have done it a long time ago.

I'll give you one thing Freddie - at least here you're not using the super large fonts you used to use over in the Sonar forums. You're still the same old Freddie though - always tilting at windmills and obsessing over things you have no control over. Remember the people you need to hear your message don't hang out here - get in touch with the actual developers at NI.

10. Freddie H

Thanks and its a good idea!

By the way as far as I know, both NI representatives and actual NI developers cruise this forum, time to time..
    My experience with NI representatives and as a company has always been helpful and kind. :)

Best Regards
    Freddie

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  11. jackn2mpu

No NI people or developers cruise this forum. The people that seem to be NI people are not - they just do this on their own time and have no official connection to NI. I see you changed your response between what I got and what is here - second thoughts about your other company connection (one that begins with an S)?

12. Zizi

Zizi New Member

I have spent about 2 weeks to move my own VST2.4 compressor to VST3!
    Developers don't want to support VST3 because VST2.4 plugin core must be rewritten into 2 separate cores (modules) - Controller and Processor. They makes connection to each other through VST3 host (it is possible to make direct messaging between modules but it will be better to leave them with minimum class relatedness)

After rewriting, product must be completely retested by QA.

Result:
    1. Programmers needs $$$$
    2. QA needs $$$$

13. jackn2mpu

Thank you, thank you and THANK YOU!
    Finally a dose of sanity from someone who's been there and done that. Code writing and testing isn't easy, having done a little myself but nothing on this level. QA isn't just on one system but multiple systems (PC, Mac and the various operating systems) and that's something an SDK doesn't do.

14. Wall M

Wall M New Member

VST3 Plugins need to be rewritten which costs a lot of money. Reasonable. But NI has a lot of plugins which should be rewritten. Massive has e.g. no resizeable interface and you can't add you own new waveforms. This would be a killerfeature for me and you can include those things into a new VST3 version.

Especially new plugins should be VST3 because they are no lines of code to be rewritten.

Disclaimer: Yes, I know the thread is old but still relevant.

15. Zizi

Zizi New Member

You are right.
    Seems NI marketing is not concentrate on new plugs - world prices are too low in comparison with past.

NI's main concepts (sorry - it is just my opinion):
    1. People want to pay for hardware -> that's why Maschine is so successful today.
    2. DSP development for Reaktor -> no need for C++ programmers
    3. Supercharger -> outsourcing development is cheaper

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  16. jackn2mpu

And even some of the older plugins were not NI written - like the SSL and Manley emulations were done by Softube.

17. taoyoyo

taoyoyo NI Product Owner

18. Zizi

Zizi New Member

So a decision was made, we need to rewrite the VST3 layer with a "simplified" version of VST3 that is thankfully included in the VST3 SDK from Steinberg. This version does not strictly separate GUI and DSP part, and after some talk with people who sit in the same boat, this is supposed to fix our problems

I you sure that the basic VST3 features will be work?
    For example:
    - suspending;
    - complex bus processing;
    - UI controls assignment;
    May be it is good quick solution for VST3 intruments, but not for VST3 effects!

19. compactus

compactus NI Product Owner

Just to put this up again...
    I love the compressors that come with KOMPLETE... But they're quite limited within Cubase due to the fact that they're not VST3...

I think that would be worth a few bucks to make them VST3 plugins...

Also, REFLEKTOR should be a separate VST3, not a part of guitar rig....