Please Hebrew language support IN TRAKTOR PRO 1.2+

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by IL200, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IL200

IL200 New Member

Inverted letters!
    Here is a picture
    [​IMG]

2. DiscoNova

DiscoNova NI Product Owner

Yes. That looks like Hebrew (meaning: "everything is written in characters I don't understand").

What is the problem?

3. IL200

IL200 New Member

Reverse characters...
    It's like "hello" IN English but opposite.. Such "olleh"...

4. nohiphop

nohiphop NI Product Owner

Isn't hebrew from right to left ?

5. DiscoNova

Hmm... Hebrew is a "right-to-left" writing system, if I'm not mistaken? If I understood the problem correctly, the characters are in the wrong order based on this assumption (at least, by a quick test, it looks like that - see the attached screenshot) ... ie. that they are written "left-to-right" in Traktor, am I correct?

This might be a problem with the textfield elements. I believe they are supposed to support Unicode (if the chosen font contains the appropriate glyphs for the language in question) but apparently only partially. For example, it seems like they don't support the "reading order"-mark, but instead display the characters in the so-called "logical order".

I've personally seen that there are components that handle this correctly (actually - most Unicode capable components do it more or less automatically). Therefore I'd suggest you to take this problem to the support team... They'll be able to further discuss this with the design & development teams.

I'm pretty certain this hasn't been made intentionally; rather that no-one has actually managed to test it - or notice anything out of the ordinary... I've understood that the development team are from countries that have a left-to-right reading order. To actually notice that there is something wrong with the output requires that you really understand the language (thus my earlier comment).

Attached Files:

6. nohiphop

nohiphop NI Product Owner

Usually an application gets the needed information from the region settings of the operating system. The Right-To-Left Support is not directly related to unicode, in earlier times special charsets are used and right to left was possible too.

Maybe Traktor ignores parts of these settings and misses the right display direction.
    Best thing is to contact support directly with this problem, maybe they can help you ...

7. DiscoNova

I had to look this up (it's been a while since I last had to wrestle with these issues) and it seems you're right. The Unicode has no "RTL-flag" for the characters as I remembered it would, but instead the OS that supports Unicode (which pretty much means all operating systems these days) in one way or another should "know" that certain ranges of characters should be presented in RTL-order (namely Arabic and Hebrew characters) and should also tell it to the applications - if the application asks about this. I know this works equally well in Windows as well as Mac systems.

Based on the test I did, it appears that Traktor's user interface always displays the characters in the "logical order" (which is the way Unicode stores the data internally). It is very much possible that the application doesn't even ask the operating system how the data should be displayed (this could be tested with Arabic script by testing whether Traktor can display the isolate, initial, medial and final forms of characters automatically or not; if it can not, it is quite likely that it is not asking the operating system for support).

But... as said earlier; I believe it would be best to bring this to the attention of product support team. The original poster should file a ticket and let them handle it from there.

8. david_f

david_f New Member

There is no "normal" solution to this problem :confused:

The Israeli distributor of NI (Kilombo) has found a solution for this problem and even though it's a workaround, it works perfect !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwVt9GO7B6M

If you'd like to, get in thouch with him at info@kilombo.co.il and ask for Gelder to solve it.

9. IL200

IL200 New Member

It's just a headache to change the all files names...

10. david_f

david_f New Member

Not the file names !
    only the ID3 tags, and you don't have to do anything but this procedure. I've done it and it's great.
    But I agree with you that this should be fixed, it would be a lot easier if Traktor would read "native" Hebrew.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.