Please help - problems with my MIDI keyboard not showing up

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Mudchild, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mudchild

Mudchild NI Product Owner

Hi all

I hope somebody could advise here - I've got a little USB MIDI controller keyboard - M-Audio Evolution MK-425c - which I use in Cubase and stuff.

It's seems to have suddenly stopped showing up as a MIDI input - I'll turn it on as normal, start Cubase SX2, but the keyboard is not available in the MIDI inputs. It used to work fine, the problem seemed to start for no reason.

I've tried reinstalling the keyboard drivers a few times, and even reinstalling cubase. The keyboard is working cos it lights up, and the USB lead is working cos a little USB icon appears in the Windows tray when I turn on the keyboard. But whatever I do, I can't get the keyboard to show up anymore as a MIDI input.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do? I guess the keyboard could be faulty, but perhaps it is a Windows/MIDI problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Alex

2. lxint

lxint NI Product Owner

i had some problems with an m-audio usb interface until i realized that it only worked on the port i plugged it in when i installed it, not on other ports on the same machine

3. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

That's one thing to remember.

The other thing that could be contributing to your problem is power management to the USB hubs. XP turns it on by default, and neither NI or M-Audio gear like it.

Go into device manager and right click a USB hub to bring up its properties. Under power management, uncheck all. Repeat for each hub and reboot.

See if that fixes it.

ew

4. Mudchild

Good suggestions guys, but still no luck - I tried the power management thing, but made no difference.

I did try the keyboard on all USB ports recently to see if it would work - it didn't, although I may give it another try to be sure.

Seems silly though, that I would need to keep the keyboard on the same port for the rest of my life - is there no way of completely removing all traces of it, i.e. from the registry, so you can start again?

5. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Yep- go to the M-Audio site and download their MIDIFix utility;
    it's in the miscellaneous category on their drivers page. Run that.

WARNING; THE MIDIFIX UTILITY WILL REMOVE ALL MIDI DRIVERS FROM YOUR SYSTEM.

Then, reinstall your keyboard's drivers.

ew

6. Mudchild

ah yes - found it now! will try it...

7. Mudchild

The midifix thing didn't help - it didn't remove all midi drivers either, just claimed to fix some registry duplication. Didn't help though.

I tried going through the registry deleting every reference to this keyboard - however there are a certain batch of references (under USB in the registry) which will not allow me to delete them - and these do contain entries called 'Location Information' - there are quite a few of these - suggesting that I've had the keyboard in a few different USB ports perhaps? Do you think this might be relevant?

8. JPaul23

JPaul23 NI Product Owner

I really REALLY hate that about my crappy little Oxygen8 keyboard.....having to reinstall the drivers every other time I plug it in because I don't remember which of the 4 USB ports I used last time. It's an absurdity that they should have fixed by now.

9. kid_sputnik

kid_sputnik NI Product Owner

agreed! all my m-audio stuff does this, actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.