Please some words of encouragment

Discussion in 'REAKTOR SESSION' started by Maxcpc, Jan 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxcpc

Maxcpc New Member

Ok i'm getting a little freaked here - Just ordered Reaktor sessions and I am completely paranoid that I will open the box and the dam thing won't work on my computer. I have a digital Village 2.4 Pentium 4 with 1 Gig of Ram. I'm using Cubase SL 2.0 with Reason with an M audiophile 24/96 soundcard. From what I’ve read on the forums, it suggests that a world of pain greets me from the second I install Reaktor. I plumped for this program because of the great reviews in Future Music and Computer Music and I loved the carbon synth given free with FM. So please someone either tell me its going to be ok or can someone advise me of NI refund policy.....

2. parma

parma NI Product Owner

it'll be O.K.....

Seriously. I recognize you from the Props board. I replied to you there and I'll reply to you here! RS isn't as unstable as my post may have made it sound. It does have some buggy activity - my biggie is the snapshot drop-down menu sometimes freezes and causes RS to quit. But there is a way around this by using the browser window. I just forget and go for the conveniet drop-down menu all the time. It'll take a couple more crashes before my Pavlovian reaction sets in!
    Some people seem to have CPU usage spikes when switching ensembles, but I haven't had this problem.
    Some ensembles you download from the user library may be very CPU intensive but this is usually due to the creator's use of graphical interfaces like XY fields. Most of them are fine though and NI's own ensembles work fine
    You made a good decision buying RS. For the money, you get a hell of a lot. Just be sure to download the latest updates, as they alleviate some of the CPU usage problems with RS right out of the box.
    And if you do encounter any problems, users in the forum are pretty good about helping you out.

Good luck!

3. Maxcpc

Maxcpc New Member

Cheers again! I'm planning on only using the instruments that come from the Libary instead of the 'home made' jobs so things should be cool. It's just weird that you research a product and all the reviews say it's great and then when you finally buy it you suddenley pick up on all the bad vibes. Guess it's hardly a big risk...so fingers crossed.

Thanks again

4. gmstudio99

gmstudio99 Forum Member

Everything Parma said is right on target. You can read for yourself how cheezed off I was at the whole Dynamo/RS upgrade and general treatment of us users, but in the end RS has been virtually rock solid on my system, and a HUGE asset to my music making.

Once you get your head around the ensembles that ship with RS, please do have a go at a few of the user ensembles. I held off on using those as well for a while, but there's really some fantastic stuff out there. I think I use User ensembles about 75% of the time now. The "Top 100" is a good place to start.

Remember, too, that people having problems generally come here to complain, those not having problems generally don't come here at all. So the fact that you read more "problems" is just human nature. If it's working, they're probably using it instead of posting here! :)

Good luck and welcome to the world of RS.

Paul

5. Maxcpc

Maxcpc New Member

Ok i'm starting to feel better now and beginning to actually look forward to loading sessions up! The more i look into it seems to indicate that there were problems with earlier releases (KVR forums etc) but these stability issues have been more or less addressed. So as long as Ni keeps updating things, life should be cool. Cheers as ever, for your post.

6. John Nowak

John Nowak Account Suspended

I strongly urge you to check out some of the "home made" stuff. IMO, a lot of the stuff in the user library is much more creative than anything that comes with the program!

7. parma

parma NI Product Owner

yes, be sure to check out the user created ensembles. You can always get rid of the ones you don't like. there are many good ones to be had. If you want to start out using NI's ensembles to get a feel for RS, that's cool - but you will be missing out on some great work if you don't check out the user library.

Cheers!

8. Art5

Art5 NI Product Owner

RE: Plese some words of encouragment

Please feel encouraged. Since I purchased Reaktor Session, I
    feel like I have a lifetime of sound exploration ahead of me from
    just this program. It's not always easy to understand, but that's
    in part because it has SO much potential.
    I am very glad I purchased the program.

My only disappointment is with Native Instruments Support.
    They are not easy to get a response from.

But the program itself is FANTASTIC.

9. Maxcpc

Maxcpc New Member

Fingers Crossed it's all going to be fine....

Just thought I’d give you an update on my tentative steps into the world of sessions. Received the software yesterday, installed it. Loaded my first ensemble.....it sounds great, loaded another that sounded great and another. I'm beginning to feel confident. Chucked in some effects on top. Ran a few ensembles together with effects to test the CPU usage...around 40%. No glitches..no crashing just lovely sounds bouncing around the speakers. I'm getting well into it. Ok I know it's the first day but I’ve had zero problems so far and I am genuinely really impressed. Cheers NI and cheers for those replying to my paranoid soaked threads....

Fingers crossed it's all going to be just fine.....

10. gmstudio

gmstudio NI Product Owner

See, good stuff, eh? Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Now start sifting through the User Library and REALLY start having a ball!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.