Poll: Your favorite grand piano

Discussion in 'AKOUSTIK PIANO' started by Markus @ NI, Aug 8, 2006.

?

Which one is your favorite AP grand piano?

1. Bechstein

21 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. Boesendorfer

25 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Concert Grand

53 vote(s)
    53.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Markus @ NI

Markus @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi all,

you can use this poll to vote for youe favorite AP grand piano.

see below for a thread that contains a test MIDI file.

best,
    Markus

2. Klemperer

Klemperer NI Product Owner

Hi,

I just bought AKOUSTIK PIANO a week ago. I would have SWORN that the Bechstein grand would get "third best", whereas I bought AP because of it. Well, I was wrong... An ancestor of mine owned a real Bechstein, and now I can at least play a sampled one:). Wonderful.
    I like all 3 well, plus the lovely Steingraeber, and additionally the Kontakt-player "Art vista grand", which has a completely different sound, but is a piano I wouldn't want to miss.

Being able to open the grands and the steingraeber in Kontakt2.1 is a huge improvement for me.

3. Markus @ NI

Hi Klemperer,

glad you like AP! I happily forwarded your feedback to the whole team here :)

best,
    Markus

4. Klemperer

Klemperer NI Product Owner

That's nice :). Indeed, with it I'll reach my goal in the end, learning to play besides more modern stuff many Bach- and Schumann-pieces until I'm, err, 70:)))))). I had only 1 and a half year a teacher, when I was a kid, and to get rid of his Czerny-etudes I had to be a little drastic, but I spare you the tale here;-)))).
    The fourth, the Steingraeber piano, is a charm too, and I'd like to know what of the 4 all of the AP-users would favour?

I still love my Artvista Grand very much and would recommend it highly to anyone as an AP-addition if piano is an important part in the vst-folders...but the Bechstein lets me hear my piano-mistakes much more clearer, blush....

cheers to all in the team!

5. sturelof

sturelof NI Product Owner

My favourites are Black Grand and Seven Seas Grand from SampleTekk (in Kontakt 2) !! ;-)

6. grease

grease NI Product Owner

I think it's hard to favor one piano over another...it probably depends on what kind of music you are making with it at the time. But anyway, I seem to favor the Bechstein, Concert Grand, and Boesendorfer in that order.

I just got AP and I'm loving it!

By the way, the upright Steingrabber is wonderful...I love the character of it.

7. andreuz

andreuz Forum Member

Hello-

Concert Grand has my vote. It's pure sound when layered with strings or other pads sounds fantastic. However, thats not to say I won't be using the others.... love em all. My years of searching for excellent Piano samples are finally over.

-Andreuz

8. admiraljdn

admiraljdn NI Product Owner

akoustik piano steinway D is the best sampled piano in the industry right now. I'm in the nashville scene and I can't find a keyboard player that doesn't love the samples.

I've used them live for over 6 months now and it always produces a positive audience reaction

9. Markus @ NI

Hi all,

thanks for your great feedback :)

I was very happy to forward it to the whole AP team!

best,
    Markus

10. ashtangakasha

ashtangakasha NI Product Owner

Markus,

I just wanted to put in a kind word for the August Foerster piano in the Kontakt library. I'd love to hear a full AP-style implementation of that piano. There's something about its warm, clear sound that really fascinates me.

For AP itself, I really have no favorite among the grands, because each one has found an important place place in my repertoire. I haven't yet found an appropriate context for the upright, but I'm glad it's there.

I'm not exaggerating to say that AP has changed my musical life, and is a frequent major source of inspiration.

ac

11. WellTempered

WellTempered New Member

I think the concert grand is by far the best AP grand. The Bechstein is nice, too. The Bosendorfer was a bit of a disappointment, as I've played a real thing and could only say "wow" when I first heard it. I think the voicing on the AP Bosendorfer is over-bright. Technically, I think the sampling is quite good on all of them, though.

I would love NI to add a Stuart & Sons Concert Grand (a really interesting Australian piano). Considering that Stuart is a relatively new maker known mostly in Australia and the UK, I would imagine they would be thrilled to see their piano featured prominantly in a major virtual instrument. It really is an excellent and unique instrument. Just a suggestion.

12. jasoncreasey

jasoncreasey NI Product Owner

Ouch, that's a tough one..... Concert Grand. Probably..

They all have their strong (& weak) points though:

IMHO, the Concert Grand has the most dynamic tonal range (i.e. not a volume thing, but a muted/brightness thing) from ppp to fff. (The bosendorfer's ppp's still sound quite bright in comparison on some areas of the keyboard.)

The Concert Grand also has the most beautiful-sounding sustain phase of the three....

The Bosendorfer cuts really well when played hard (the Steinway can sometimes sound a little "woolly" in comparison).

The Bechstein's somewhere in the middle... maybe this one will prove to be the most useful in the long-term, but there are a few notes that tonally don't sound great for me.

But, the thing that makes this library special for me is the crappy old Steingraeber. It's tone is very strange, it's dynamic range is pretty bad... but I LOVE IT!!!! It has a character all of its own that I've yet to find in any other piano library (which has been quite a while (I used to be a sound designer for Zero-G years ago)). I wrote a slow, melancholic piano piece with it (which can be heard on my MySpace page - the track called 'Over'), & later on tried all the grands to see if they sounded any 'better'.... They all sounded super-sterile in comparison to the Steingraeber.

So, all the pianos have their uses! Nice one, NI - a very 'human' product! :eek:)

(& thanks for the fixes in the first update).

Jason

http://myspace.com/jasoncreasey

13. spaceagedevice

spaceagedevice NI Product Owner

Definately the Steingraber! Feels like Vince Guaraldi all over again.

14. spaceagedevice

spaceagedevice NI Product Owner

-sorry didn't realize it said "grand piano", got excited for a moment.. for grand piano I'd say "Concert Grand" for sure.

15. worshipmentor

worshipmentor NI Product Owner

HUMMMMMMMMMMMM.......let's see..........

The Concert Grand probably has my vote. The tone is great and the dynamics are good. the sustain works well and as one player said it works well layered with other stuff live (most notably B4II).
    I have to say though that dynamically I like the way my old General Music Real Piano Expander Module played. The primary piano in it straight out of the box was awesome. The most notable difference to me was the dynamics. One player wrote of the Concert Grand working well from ppp to fff but mine hasn't. Maybe my settings are a littl off but all things being equal, my 15 year old GEM unit worked better. In fact I was about to go back to using it live (and save the AP for vst stuff) when my sound tech said he REALLY liked that new piano sound: it was much easier to control FOH! man was I blown away and humbled!
    The moral of the story is that I swallowed my pride, adjusted the volume to a point I could live with and now use it regularly (3-4 times a week live).
    Chris

16. Matthew Treder

Matthew Treder New Member

If you ever consider sampling another upright, how about a Fandrich & Sons piano from Washington state? These innovators have crafted an upright that compares favorably to many big-bucks grands in range, tone and sensitivity.

17. Markus @ NI

Hi Matthew,

thanks for your tip!

I have to visit this company the next time I come to Seattle.

best,
    Markus

18. Cbswe

Cbswe Forum Member

Boesendorfer got my vote, like a powerful, hard and linear tune

19. OneSwarm

OneSwarm New Member

Yup, would agree with this. Although i haven't played the real thing, the Boesendorfer is certainly up there and would say it's perhaps a tad better than the 290 libary.

20. ATSMusic

ATSMusic NI Product Owner

none of them because it doesn't work!

Please read your forum. MANY people are having the exact same problem and you continue to ignore it. This will not make it go away!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.