Poor timing with external MIDI sequencing

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by muckleberryblim, Aug 22, 2012.

1. muckleberryblim

muckleberryblim Forum Member

I'm triggering an AKAI S900 sampler straight from Maschine's MIDI out port and the timing I'm getting from Maschine is really sloppy. Straight 16th note rhythms are seriously inconsistent, it's pretty much unusable. Interestingly it gets especially bad in step sequence mode.

I've tried using another sequencer (Energy 52's Numerology) also using the Maschine MIDI port and it's fine...
    As is internal Maschine sequencing....

Anyone have similar problems? I'm thinking the LED feedback to the Maschine controller slows it down, my Macbook meet the spec requirements so I'm gonna be really disappointed if this is the best performance possible!

2. RIO_XL

RIO_XL Forum Member

Is Maschine sending MIDI to the S900 in MIDI control mode or when in software control mode (i.e. configuring a group's Sound MIDI Batch Setup)?

3. muckleberryblim

I'm not using Sound Midi Batch Setup, but loading a Midi Out module onto each sound.

During 'live' playing it's fine, so it doesn't seem to be a lag / latency issue.

But when I play back recorded or programmed sequences, they're seriously jittery.

4. muckleberryblim

turns out the audio driver setting effect the midi timing...
    my best result was with the maximum buffer, which obviously ain't good with my audio latency within maschine.
    don't know if a more powerful mac would help?

5. RIO_XL

RIO_XL Forum Member

I'm going to try and replicate this on my end with an external synth this weekend. I'll let you kow what I find.

6. muckleberryblim

Niceone thanks man. Surprised this hasnt come up before. It might not be that noticeable with a synth, I could get away with using it like that, but drum rolls and running hats sounded sloppy as anything.