1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Pops and clicks on a Windows 7 64 bit system

Discussion in 'NI Audio Interfaces' started by Gary_W, Jan 13, 2012.

1. qazen

qazen New Member

yea, thanks for the reply! The tuning tips are well know to me as I go far beyond those measures to get waaay more power out of my machine as you would with those few tips ;)

I've got an average of 20 µs driver latency without a single spike.

Latest firmware is installed as well as the newly released 3.1.0 driver, that has been a beta earlier.

In the sound prefs everything is deactivated and the stereo mix is not existant for some reason, but nothing to worry about that.

the only thing, that is on, is the main out of the KA 6!

hmm :/

It's odd, it seems like these clicks an pops get triggered by tracks with bad mastering and lots of high freqs!

I already switched speakers to eliminate this option, too.

hmm, that sucks so much since I never had a product from NI, that was not faulty somehow

2. ezelkow1

ezelkow1 Forum Member

For me it seems to be every other driver release with the AK1 is bad. Like the last release of 3.1 is horrible. I get random crackles with WDM and sometimes ASIO. Also today I noticed that things just sound off and I was also getting alot of crashes in ableton when tweaking audio effects.

After uninstalling 3.1 and going back to 3.0 I reloaded the crashed set, set the effect (which was an MFM2 preset for ping pong ducked delay), turned the phaser effect back on and it sounds normal. With 3.1 it just didnt sound right, though I have no idea how a sound cards drivers would affect that. Also doing things that would previously cause a crash dont now

3. Ojustaboo

Ojustaboo NI Product Owner

I've just upgraded my MB, CPU and RAM after my old MB died.

I now am also experiencing similar problems. Playing back from Cubase is fine (ASIO) but watching YouTube clips or today I was going through one of the macprovideo courses, best way I can describe it is it sounded like a scratchy dirty vinyl LP, crackling all over the place that got worse and worse.

Finally I pulled the USB cable out of the KA6, waited 10 secs and plugged back in.

This has fixed it for today but I suspect it will reoccur.

I have the latest firmware and drivers from NI

Asus P9X79 MB
    Intel i7 3820 s2011
    32GB RAM
    Tagan 750w power supply
    Evga 4GB GTX 670
    Various SSD and hard drives, most SATA 3, one SATA 2
    Antec 1200 case
    Windows 8 pro 64

Worked perfectly with my old gigabyte DS4 motherboard

Edit: when I built this system I reloaded windows from scratch, I also made sure I had the latest drivers. I installed the latest NI drivers which were newer than on my old system, reading the previous post, I think I will try going back a version to see if it fixes it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  4. max3000

max3000 New Member

So I'm bumping this thread.

I bought KA6 a couple of days ago, running similar hardware, win7 x64 and have the exact same problem. It's maddening!

Hey NI, are you going to fix that in the next update? Please tell me you're working on it. I'm thinking about returning this.. please save me the trouble...

5. Ojustaboo

Well I went back to the only other non 3.10 driver i could find on their download section (3.0.3) but sadly the problems still there.

I currently have Driver version 3.0.3, Firmware 45

It's really weird. Starts off fine, gradually more and more crackles and pops appear, I simply unplug it's USB cable, plug back in and all is fine (for a while).

This is becoming a real pain now :(

6. max3000

max3000 New Member

I REALLY hope NI are looking at this thread and taking it seriously. I wanna keep my unit, but this issue has got to go.

Can someone from NI please tell us if you guys are working on a fix?

7. states

states NI Product Owner

unfortunately i shall have to add my own horrible experience with exactly the same problems that every one else above is having ...
    apparently there is no fix (other than stopping and restarting the audio device in W7 manually) ...

can any authorised NI person please give us an insight ? pretty please ?

8. kalamun

kalamun New Member

Me too

exactly the same problem.

9. max3000

max3000 New Member

Anyone who found this thread while googling for the problem, please register and post here.

We need to make NI know this is a serious issue that affects a lot of people..

10. jnncks

jnncks New Member

Same here, and only for WDM Audio as well. No Problems with ASIO even when using lowest buffer-settings.
    Since there was no reaction from NI in the last few months regarding this problem I am thinking right now of selling the KA6 and buying a different interface.
    At least it would be nice to know if they are working on it...

11. NewDriversPlease

NewDriversPlease New Member

I am on windows 8 64-bit and i'm having excatly the same problems with 3.1.0. And the 3.0.3 drivers kept crashing my computer randomly. So pleeeeaaassseee new drivers, i really want to start using my interface.

12. fauxfreshness

fauxfreshness New Member

Running a Windows 8 x64 system, and I'm running into the same issues. The iTunes application seems to be the worst, with the new Windows Music application being a little less annoying, but still there.

Then I remembered never hearing any of that on my Windows 7 or Windows 8 loads on my laptop. On that system, I used a USB 3.0 ExpressCard 54 adapter since the stock USB support just couldn't seem to hang and had other issues. So, I switched to my front mounted USB 3.0 port, and it's fine. Still using the stock drivers from the install disc as we just moved and I didn't get the KA6 installed on my main workhorse yet (Dell P990x with 12GB RAM at the moment). Also, there was a significant gain in output, and that's with a 2TB external drive connected to the back USB 3.0 interface. I have a great deal of PCIe data running through this system (former Microsoft field engineer and now a platform developer, but used this box for server virtualization in the past) with 5 external drives in an enclosure, 3 internal, and various other bits and pieces.

So if you can, try a real, GOOD USB 2.0 or 3.0 card and give this another shot.

13. kalamun

kalamun New Member

A week ago I wrote a detailed report to the NI tech support, but today is still not replied.

I have a very good workstation, I have not delays or latency. Using Ubuntu Linux the KA6 has not problems, but Linux drivers only supports outputs (no inputs available) and, obviously, there are no Ableton Live.

14. Ojustaboo

I sent a ticket saying the following

I received a reply (on the same day) saying

Today I have sent them the following

15. Ojustaboo

I had a further reply saying

I responded by sending them the following (made while a you tube clip was playing)

http://imageshack.us/a/img407/2161/latency2.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/3163/latency3.png

The report is split into two parts due to being too long for one post)

Code:
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts. 
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:03:49  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name:                                        GEORGE
    OS version:                                           Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
    Hardware:                                             ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P9X79
    CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
    Logical processors:                                   8
    Processor groups:                                     1
    RAM:                                                  32714 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed:                                   4550.0 MHz
    Measured CPU speed:                                   2860.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   112.539158
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   1.761952

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       111.413766
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       0.366372

MEASURED SMI, IPI AND CPU STALLS
    The SMI, IPI and CPU stalls value represents the highest measured interval that a CPU did not respond while having its maskable interrupts disabled.

Highest measured SMI or CPU stall (µs)                1.125392

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              90.156264
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.076974
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

16. Ojustaboo

Code:
    Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.140956

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   529970
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              239.689451
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 314.22 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.213750
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.712438

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   2118157
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 msmpeng.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       198
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          140
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          1668.903956
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.002837
    Number of processes hit:                              4

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.732783
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 0 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                64.482198
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.229829
    CPU 0 DPC count:                                      595367
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.338547
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 1 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                18.421978
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000585
    CPU 1 DPC count:                                      305
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.340672
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                31.208571
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.049512
    CPU 2 DPC count:                                      30641
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       2.235152
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                58.621978
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   1.171890
    CPU 3 ISR count:                                      71001
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                239.689451
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.760090
    CPU 3 DPC count:                                      72692
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.409492
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                35.563516
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.057741
    CPU 4 DPC count:                                      22162
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       13.72650
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                90.156264
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   1.410425
    CPU 5 ISR count:                                      458969
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                149.236484
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   11.905753
    CPU 5 DPC count:                                      1377060
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.373242
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                55.860
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.047433
    CPU 6 DPC count:                                      19514
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.317975
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0
    CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                30.108132
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.000918
    CPU 7 DPC count:                                      416

17. fauxfreshness

fauxfreshness New Member

I just ran that tool on two systems, and just like the old DPC tool that "worked" in Windows 7 it basically indicated that neither system can handle real time audio in any way. Clearly, the ASIO driver shows that's wrong, and the best part is the worst performance seems to be recorded by the stock USB driver and, like your second log shows, the NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode driver record the worst event times and total execution time. If I had more time I'd consider a realtime trace with several counters using xperf, but also a general check using PAL to get the report would be good too.

Some good starting points here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140263-how-to-get-the-cause-of-high-cpu-usage-by-dpc-interrupt/

18. Ojustaboo

Top marks to NI for responding promptly.

Received an email today stating (link removed as not sure whether I'm supposed to share it)

19. max3000

max3000 New Member

So I'm on a brand new, modern, powerful PC and the problem has gotten WORSE! How could this be?

Come on NI, do something already!

20. NewDriversPlease

NewDriversPlease New Member

It seems that mine has also gotten worse, and i havent touched it. (also on a brand new computer, 3770k and so on)
    Also having some direct monitoring problems, but at this time i just want it to work for basic home use.
    Have tried every recommendation, and tip, and all usb 3.0 and 2.0 ports on my computer...

Any day now...