1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Pops and clicks on a Windows 7 64 bit system

Discussion in 'NI Audio Interfaces' started by Gary_W, Jan 13, 2012.

1. UltimateOutsider

UltimateOutsider NI Product Owner

I replaced my KA6 with a Roland Duo Capture Ex (also USB 2.0) and haven't had a single pop or drop-out since.

The KA6 is not the only interface where USB 3.0 compatibility issues have been reported (I've heard similar complaints about Steinberg's UR22), but it's definitely not an across-the-board problem with USB 2.0 interfaces.

It's also worth noting that not all USB 3.0 chipsets and drivers are alike, since the technology is still recent-ish and some computers were released with "USB 3.0" support before the standard had been fully ratified and adopted. I know that the Roland interface works wonderfully on my laptop's USB 3.0 ports whereas the KA6 definitely did not. But there are probably people out there who might never get a USB 2.0 audio device working on their system without BIOS/USB/chipset updates on the PC side, not just audio interface driver updates.

2. Ojustaboo

Ojustaboo NI Product Owner

Many thanks.

I really like the kA6 apart from this windows driver problem :(

So it's a gamble even if I buy someone else's :(

I have an Asus P9X79 MB which has ASMedia USB 3.0 controller and Intel X79 Express Chipset USB 2.0/1.1

3. kalamun

kalamun New Member

Solved!

Hi guys,
    finally I solved by myself this issue! (and I'm very happy).

I've simply changed the sample rate of my soundcard and of my windows.

For the soundcard:
    - open Komplete Audio 6 Control Panel
    - inside "Audio Settings" tab, under "Audio Processing" field set, change the Sample Rate to 48000 Hz

For Windows:
    - open Control Panel > Sounds
    - select Komplete Audio 6 Main Output
    - click on "Properties" button in the bottom right corner: a new window opens
    - select "Advanced" tab
    - under "Default Format" select 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz

Let me know if it works also for you.
    Kisses.

4. Ojustaboo

Were they both set at 44 before or were they both different?

Mine were both at 44, hence both the same.

I've changed them to 48 and will see what happens

5. kalamun

kalamun New Member

They were set both at 44.100 Hz

6. Ojustaboo

Unfortunately with them both set to 48000, I'm still having the same problem :(

7. states

states NI Product Owner

ditto ...

8. xismo

xismo New Member

So I'm starting to wonder whether it really has to do with USB 3.0. My laptop is few months old and only has USB 3.0 ports so there's no way for me to test whether there's any difference. And it's Ivy Bridge so it's native. I know NI always had problems with USB 3.0, on my previous laptop which only had one 3.0 port running through an NEC controller, my S4 didn't even work with that port. I always had to use one of the 2.0 ports.

9. Ojustaboo

It's really really odd.

This morning, I powered my PC on and for the whole two hours I was on it, not a single crackle.

I had Cubase and Omnisphere open while playing Omnisphere training vids from the web site, all worked perfectly.

This evening, exactly the same, powered PC on, did exactly the same thing and the crackling started almost immediately.

Seeing as my NI, Cubase etc use the KA6 ASIO driver and that works perfectly and it's only for windows sounds when I'm watching youtube and training vids etc thats causing me a problem, I might try and see if I can use the MB on board sound for windows sounds and plug the front l/r op from the MB into the KA6 and get round it that way.

10. mutantX

mutantX NI Product Owner

Most of my pops and clicks were the result of a bad power brick and artifact noise from the computer itself, on my w7 64 bit system.
    Could hear terrible HDD noises as well.
    Solved all that by replacing hdd with an SSD, and additionally getting a cheap in-line filter from an electronic hobbyist store which plugs into the soundcard main output, before amplification. That works a treat.
    But i still had periodic glitches pops and issues, as experienced elsewhere in this thread.
    In my case the solution was to update the JMicron driver for the eSata expansion card that transports data from my external harddrives.
    Although i had already disabled USB power options for Root Hubs i never thought to look in the Storage Controller section of Device Manager for eSata connect devices.
    The default driver was from 2006 ... i then installed the newest driver and noticed even more issues, possibly because the driver was optimised for W8 64bit.
    Rolled that back to a 64bit version from around 2010 and now everything is totally sweet.
    Having both soundcards at the same Khz setting was also important.
    My solution may be too niche to apply to all of your own instances .. but it does add further weight to the idea that its often driver issues that are indeed the issue.
    Possibly experiment with drivers that are not the most recent if they have been optimised for W8 and you are using W7.

11. Ojustaboo

Well that won't work due to a lack of a software mixer for the KA6, there's no way to plug the MB sound into the 3/4 inputs of the KA6 and have them routed to the main 1/2 outputs.

So what I've done is simply plugged the MB line out into a spare stereo channel in my mixer. In windows control panel/sound I've selected the MB sound and disabled the KA6.

Then in Cubase, Konakt etc I select ASIO Komlete Audio 6.

This works really well, I have one stereo channel on my mixer for Cubase etc going through the KA6 and another for windows sounds like YouTube and training vids coming from my MB sound.

Shouldn't have had to do this, but at least I can now contnue without the pops and clicks.

12. Ojustaboo

Just received this

13. max3000

max3000 New Member

I hope this means they're actually working on a new driver ver. that fixes this issue.

14. states

states NI Product Owner

at long last ! fingers crossed !

15. dRty

dRty New Member

I was thinking... Where are all other threads for pops/clicks cause i had one before and then i saw a lot more threads too?
    With the new driver is still have pops/clicks problems with my device with the latest i7 processor and 16gb ram with Win7 64 bit.

16. max3000

max3000 New Member

What new drivers?

17. plasmag

plasmag New Member

I had a lot of similar problems with win7 64 bit (i7 3770, 16 gb ram, ssd, gigabyte h77). Drop outs solved by disabling the on board realtek sound device in BIOS. Crackles almost disappeared by uninstalling the gigabyte software called Easy Tune. Some power management settings also in BIOS like EIST and HPET helped a lot. I finally installed WIN 8. Eventhough Ι don't like them at all, my ka6 seems to work much better without any issues!

18. marb67

marb67 NI Product Owner

Same with me. Popping and clicking on Youtube and some patches in Reaktor 5. I have another issue I posted on the forum (only just got signed up) and days later it has still not been allowed to show here. Tech support over 2 weeks ago still no answer.

19. states

states NI Product Owner

wtf ? it's been how many months of fully detailed complaints now ?
    what the hell are they doing ?

WHY ?

20. NewDriversPlease

NewDriversPlease New Member

its funny because it says "premium audio interface" on the box... any day now.