'Port' puzzle in Kontakt 5

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Martin Verrill, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Martin Verrill

Martin Verrill New Member

Hi! I have Kontakt 5 and am using it to host Wavelore's Pedal Steel Guitar. The PSG is an awesome VSTI, but a beast to try and manipulate. Its author, Mark Belbin, is totally 'incommunicado', so I turn to the good folk of this forum to (hopefully) explain a puzzle re. ports.
    The dilemma is that PSG does not play properly when assigned to Port A (or B, C, or D) i.e. it will not slide between notes as a PSG should/does. Wavelore will only 'behave' when assigned to 'Off'. When assigned to Ports A-D it only makes staccato like voices as the keys are pressed.....assign it to 'Off' and hey-presto! we're in business.
    That wouldn't be a problem, except that I can't get the 'Pedal-Up/Pedal-Down' feature to respond when I assign a controller to the relevant knob on the interface. All the other parameters I've assigned and can control with my Akai LPD8, but this one refuses to respond, whichever CC no. I nominate. Could it be that only behaving properly via the 'Off' Port (?) is somehow causing this particular parameter to not function/respond. Were Mark Belbin contactable I'm sure he could advise/explain. But without him, I have a wonderful-sounding instrument which I can't use.
    All help and advice gratefully received.
    Mart.

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Hmmm, I have no problems in playing it over the default port A, at all.

3. Martin Verrill

Hi! Evil Dragon.
    Apologies for my tardiness in responding. Thanks, for your input, by which I'm guessing you're a Wavelore PSG user too (?) If so, perhaps I could add to what I said previously insofar as my 'Options/MIDI Input is showing as....Delta AP MIDI Status Port A: LPD8 Status Port A : Live 88 (my keyboard) Status Off. As I said, the Live 88 will not 'play' correctly in any other Status. Being a bit of a novice, should all 3 'modules' be assigned to the same Port (ideally)? Any guidance re. this, most helpful.
    Secondly, if you are a PSG user, are you using the 2-5-1 K3+ version (the latest) and if so, how have you got your 'Sustain' and Pedal Up/Down parameters mapped? I've assigned a latching pad on the LPD8 to CC64 and it operates the 'Sustain' correctly, and I've assigned a rotary controller (CC4) for the 'Position' increments. But whichever CC number I try to assign to the Pedal Up/Down function it has no effect. The knob on the GUI turns and the little red light comes on in MIDI Automation (and MIDIOX confirms it's the correct CC) but no joy in Pedal Up/Down/ing. Does yours work OK? which CC are you using?
    It's a lot to contemplate, I realise; but any help you can give will be most gratefully received.
    Thanks, in anticipation.
    Mart.

4. EvilDragon

I own the library for years but can't really call myself a heavy user of it. I just know when I load it and hit my MIDI controller, it plays. Sustain pedal also works. I did nothing special.

Could it be that there are other applications stealing your MIDI controller? You absolutely do need to have your MIDI controller set to a port ("A" being the most obvious choice of course), in order for the MIDI controller to work properly within Kontakt. How does your Options->MIDI Input page look like? Please post a screenshot.

5. Martin Verrill

Hi! again, Evil Dragon.
    I've just written a great long reply to you, when I had a flash of inspiration. My keyboard receives its power via USB, but its MIDI Out is connected to the M-Audio soundcard. I disconnected the MIDI cable and, Shazam! Keyboard now functions on Port A. Phew!!
    However, I still cannot get the Pedal Up/Down function to respond to any of the LPD8 controllers whichever CC I nominate.
    The knob on the GUI turns, but to no effect. If you're a user (albeit infrequent) could you tell me which CC number you use; and is it operated by an external controller?
    Thanks, once again for your continued interest.
    Mart.

6. EvilDragon

Sustain pedal is CC #64.

7. Martin Verrill

Yes. Thank you, E.D. I've got Sustain on CC64. No problem. It's the String Switch (Pedal Up/Down) I can't wrangle. I've copy/pasted the relevant passage from the manual, and it seems to suggest that all I need to do is nominate another CC for that function. But so far, no success.
    Does this make sense to you....

11) String Switch: Choose your MIDI continuous controller for real-time switching between primary and secondary
    strings. Alternatively, set it to 128 to activate “learn mode”. While in learn mode, you can simply move the
    controller on your MIDI keyboard that you wish to assign as the switch control. Click “OK”, or play a note on your
    keyboard, and your assignment is saved. Once set, moving the assigned controller to a zero value will activate
    only the primary strings, whereas moving it to a value of 127 will activate a combination of the primary and
    secondary strings.

13) Use Sustain: This button can be used to set whether the sustain pedal will function in a traditional manner or not.
    Since the pedal allows a convenient hands-free controller for primary/secondary string switching, it may not
    always be desirable to allow it to also hold notes. It can, however, make certain chordal bending techniques
    easier, since sustaining a chord allows the fingers to release before striking any target notes to which the
    sounding chord tones will bend. Using this control and optionally re-assigning the string switch (#11, above), theuser can decide just how to configure the combination of switching and sustaining

8. EvilDragon

OK so, which number is String Switch parameter set to? Then use that CC number to switch strings.

9. Martin Verrill

Sorry, Evil Dragon. Been laid up with a trapped nerve. Couldn't even reach out to the keyboard! But thanks, for your continued interest. I'm afraid that, although I see exactly where you're coming from with this, the simple truth is that I can't get the String Switch function to work whichever of the 127 CCs I use. Is there anybody out there who uses PSG and will tell me which one they use and how they get it to respond? Tearing my remaining hairs out with this one.

10. EvilDragon

By default it's CC #64, same as sustain pedal. But you can change it to be whatever CC by tweaking the String Switch knob on the main page that shows when you open the instrument. This one:

upload_2019-6-8_18-16-5.png

So set it to whichever CC you want, then use that CC from your MIDI controller. I can confirm it working by default with MIDI CC #64. You will see on the interface that in the text line it will change between "Strings: Primary" to "Strings: Secondary" depending on how you change that MIDI CC.

11. Martin Verrill

Thanks, again, Evil Dragon, for your tenacity! I'm beginning to think there must be something wrong with my version of the software (fully paid, legit version) Where I'm at, currently, is CC64 controls both 'Sustain' AND 'String Switch' by default, as you say. My toggled controller pad (set to CC64) turns both features on and off together. BUT I want to operate 'String Switch' independently of 'Sustain' using another toggled controller pad set to another CC. SO! nominate which pad and CC number using the 'Learn' function. Great! Except that 'String Switch' is not activated using that pad/CCnumber combination. 'String Switch' seems only to respond to CC64. BTW, when you say "You will see on the interface that in the text line it will change between "Strings: Primary" to "Strings: Secondary" depending on how you change that MIDI CC."
    When 'String Switch' DOES respond (to CC64) I can't see anything on the interface changing from "Strings:primary" to "Strings: Secondary" Which "text line" do you mean? (I'm more and more convinced that it's a problem with my software)

12. EvilDragon

You can change the String Switch knob manually instead of learning. Just pick a number, any number... I tried with CC #20 and it works.

I'm highly doubting there's a problem in the library, there hasn't been an update for it in years, so I'm pretty sure we have the same exact version.

psg.gif