Possible NAVIGATE BUG

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by CakeAlexS, Jun 7, 2015.

1. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Can anybody confirm.

Steps

In Windows Maschine Studio
    Start a new project.
    Hold Down Navigate + Button 7 (observe button 7 shows "mixer" on the display.

Expected
    Mixer view should appear

Actual
    Nothing

Workaround
    SHIFT + Navigate THEN Navigate + button 7

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Mixer is shift+Navigate. While in this view, press navigate and then mixer to see what it does.

3. CakeAlexS

Totally Gotcha, it works in that combination and I see the use - thanks.

..... but if you go from the default Maschine view Navigate + 7 does absolutely nothing... even though it's indicated on the display.
    If it does nothing in this combination surely it should not be displayed at all.... right?

Looks like a minor workflow bug.

Cheers...

4. taoyoyo

taoyoyo NI Product Owner

Browser is the only option of the three that is visible when toggled from either Default or Mixer pages. (the other two Mod and Mixer are toggled correctly but are only visible when on the relevant page).

Despite it being slightly odd I don't think this will be classified as a bug.

5. CakeAlexS

> Despite it being slightly odd I don't think this will be classified as a bug.

So if you followed the exact steps above, then the actual expected behaviour should be ... nothing happens... Com'on! :p
    It might be trivial... but trivial <> not a bug... Trivial = Trivial bug.
    If you see a button lit up, and if you press it, you must expect something to happen. Otherwise the option should not appear.

6. taoyoyo

taoyoyo NI Product Owner

Might seem pedantic but *something* is happening... it's just that the user might not in the 'right view' to see the change and that's where the problem lies. ;) Once the user is aware of how this meant to work it maybe isn't such a problem? (I'm assuming that's how NI might view it as it's been there for a year or so now).

The only thing (I think) could be changed (for it to make more sense) is for the 'Mod' button to not display in Mixer mode and the 'Mixer' button to not appear in 'Default Mode'on the Studio controller?

Pretty sure this has been bought up previously so NI are aware of the (usability) issue... but it's either been deemed 'by design' (i.e.: that's how it's meant to work) or not important enough to warrant changing.

7. CakeAlexS

> Might seem pedantic but *something* is happening... it's just that the user might not in the 'right view' to see the change and that's where the problem lies.

But that's not how GUI's work, you don't offer functionality to make 'something 'visible' when they are 'hidden' behind something else (if indeed that is actually what's going on, we don't know for sure... and regardless it's irrelevant). If a function is offered it should just work period.

What's happened is that the programmer forgot to put in the correct logic of when to display this button on the screen, either that or this is a dead parrot sketch.. it's just sleeping ;). And as I said earlier, it's trivial.

Also if developer decides not to put in a one line code fix then that's a really lazy developer!

Appreciate your views.... :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  8. b-righteous

I agree with this. (Although if you check the state of the mixer before and after toggling the button it does indeed change the view.)
    IIRC this was brought up before and the developers did not classify it as a bug. Regardless, it should not be that way imo.

9. b-righteous

This is the way it should work.

10. CakeAlexS

Still an issue in 2.3.1

11. taoyoyo

taoyoyo NI Product Owner

Have you sent NI a report on this 'issue'?

As mentioned previously, in NI's eyes this is 'how it's meant to work', so there isn't an issue and therefore nothing to fix.

The only way that it's going to get some attention is if you (and other folk who feel strongly about it) contact them to tell them it is an issue for you.

12. CakeAlexS

He was agreeing with your suggestion which isn't the current behaviour. See the quote it refers to. So actually nope, there is something to fix. And b-righteous is a mod who does not represent NI as far as I'm aware. But I agree with him here.

I appreciate the reminder about support channels, but I am well aware thanks.
    I'm just documenting bugs. This one is a minor bug nevertheless is an obvious one.

(Edited several times sorry).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  13. taoyoyo

taoyoyo NI Product Owner

I was simply referring to your standalone statement: 'Still an issue in 2.3.1'.

All I'm saying is If NI don't consider this an issue (which seems likely given the length of time it's been like this?) and you (or others who feel strongly about this) have not sent reports about it to NI it's not going to be on their radar as a bug//usability issue/improvement/feature request etc. anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  14. CakeAlexS

Yup heard the first time thanks...

Can we get back on topic. I'm just discussing the bug not what to do with it.
    Here's an obvious oddity. I have provided steps to repro. There appears to be two ways to fix it. Either way it's a simple fix and NI I'm sure will hopefully deal/prioritize it accordingly.

Cheers..

15. taoyoyo

taoyoyo NI Product Owner

The topic:

We've agreed there is an oddity. We've repro'd. We've discussed possible improvements.

We're just going round in circles... If you want NI to look at it, ask them. What more is to there be 'discussed'?

16. CakeAlexS

The discussion stopped seven posts ago imho. I merely wrote it is repro'd in 2.3.1 as a bootnote. I'll revist here on the next release and update the status again.

17. CakeAlexS

Bug still reproducible 2.4.7.

EDIT..

It's only reproducible if the mixer view isn't being displayed on the Windows GUI.
    If you press the button in mixer view it appears to min/max the mixer.
    Behaviour even less relevant if the controller UI sync mode is off.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  18. CakeAlexS

No longer an issue in Maschine 2.7.2 / Windows 10.