1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Powered Speakers (yet again!!)

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by imianwilliams, Mar 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imianwilliams

imianwilliams NI Product Owner

sorry if I'm slightly off topic. But I'm just double checking for 2nd opinions, before I spend all my money.

A couple of months ago, I posted on the 2.5.3 off topic board asking for opinions about powered speakers. At that time I was really just considering JBL Eon's or Mackie SRM 450's.

Well I've looked at them, & lots of others as well (HK, LEM, even cheaper options like Samson), & I am that close to buying a pair of Mackies. (Buying tomorrow, unless somebody talks me out of it).

So for the last time. .......is there any reason I shouldn't buy the Mackies? I've considered the fact that they're now made in china, & I've also listened to the people who've had overheating problems. But I'm satisfied that if I run them sensibly, then I'll have no problems.

Also..... can anybody beat a price of £1000 in the UK?

2. pulsewidth_Tf

pulsewidth_Tf Forum Member

You didn't mention anything about your planned usage (in this post, at least). But for smaller bars, house parties, that sorta thing you can't really go wrong with those speakers. Personally I own the JBL EON G2s but if you can afford them I think it's a toss-up between the JBLs and Mackies. And I would probably give the advantage to the Mackies since they are more universally found in bar type venues.

And if you find that you need more low end, just add the mackie powered sub...

3. djwyldeone_Tf

djwyldeone_Tf Forum Member

I own a JBL EON G2 15" and it was definitly one of my favorite purchases. If I know I'm going into a club or party with crap equipment I can atleast be sure I have a good monitor... They sound great.

peace
    wyldeone

4. Vince_Tf

Vince_Tf Forum Member

Have you tried the B-52 Matrix 1000 system? Similar to the HK in design (?) - 2 top-end spkrs usually on tripods plus a subwoofer box that holds an amplifier for all 3 speakers. It's about 1/3 the price of a system with 2 SRM450's and a 1501 subwoofer.

Not sure exactly what they sound like but everything I've seeen on Web is good.

The subwoofer weighs 115 lb which would be haulable in the trunk/boot of my car but the assistance of a barmaid might be required.

I might drive down to the USA about 90 miles to check them out at Gutar Center. $800 USA in latest G.C. flyer. Unfortunately I need to get some identity papers to go into USA from here in Canada, previous problems encountered from antsy customs people on the lookout for Al Quaida.

http://www.b-52pro.com/models/Matrix1000.html

BTW I was at another local audio / rental company and they have the JBL Eon but not the Mackie. They point out the Mackie 450 (& maybe 350) will reduce the bass automatically if driven hard, and also will overheat if used horizontally as a monitor. They have a big heatsink on the back and rainwater can get in there. While the JBL Eon is more rugged and weatherproof. Actually the JBL fell off a shelf when I was there and bounded off the floor and was unharmed in it's synthetic case and the owner was unconcerned, he was so confident in its ruggedness.

5. DJ MDX_Tf

DJ MDX_Tf Forum Member

I own a pair of Mackie SRM-450's and have never had an issue with them.

I was trying to choose between the JBL's and the Mackie's when I purchased them and the SRM-450's sounded a lot better IMO.

6. DJ Finalee

DJ Finalee Forum Member

I own the JBL EON15 G2's imianwilliams, Im very satisfied!!!!!! 5 years tranferable warrenty, great suppot, etc... Sound quality good. I definetly recomend this for mobiling and if you need more you can always just bridge another set.

The mackies have heat issues!!!!!!!!! and have been know to fry,it is recomended to use a fan when useing then and they are also onlt 12" speakers not 15 like JBL!!!!! So for less of a product and more money I do not recomend them

As far as subs the G2 sub isnt that great, I would recomend the Mackie 1801 18" 900watt sub!!!!! Works out great and more than you ever need, but is a little heavy.

The JBL Eon g2 and mackie 1801 will handle a room for 250 with no problem

7. djHSL

djHSL Forum Member

Ian, check to see if the Mackies are Italian or Chinese. As mentioned in an earlier post, the Chinese Mackies have overheating problems.

8. DJ Finalee

DJ Finalee Forum Member

one thing I forgot to mention is that MAckie has also just change there product line, This is what I was told by a friend who wholesales equipment. He said the Mackies are decent speakers but overall he would choose the JBL's

As far as sound I will say the mackies do sound a little tighter, That is in an empty room with no background noise. The JBL's are very close but I went for the durability when I chose

Also Pro Sound and stage www.pssl.com Has the JBL's with free stands and a 18 channel mixer for $1399.00 USD

here's the direct link http://pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl?eqi...26&newproduct=T&itemNumber=EON15G2-SPECIAL 01

9. imianwilliams

Thanks everybody.

....I'm still just as confused as I was a day or two ago. I've just come off the phone from a very long chat with a DJ here in england who has the Mackies, & quite simply he says he'd buy them again if he had to replace them.

Mind you. His are two years old & Italian.

In case your interested. I'm also running this same question past my friends over on the PCDJ discussion site .

10. Vince_Tf

Vince_Tf Forum Member

Ian, any selection yet?

I may go check out the B-52 Matrix 1000 system which has 15" sub and 10" main. They also have the Matrix 2000 for only US$1200 but it's too much system for me, 18" sub.

The amplifier/subwoofer box is 19x23x28 inches and 115 pounds and even though my car has a fairly big trunk, it might not fit in! Might go in the back seat though.,

The HK Audio L.U.C.A.S. 1000 subwoofer box is 17x21x26" and 94 lb. This is another 3-box system. But no dealers in North America.

The Mackie SRM-1501 is a little smaller at 17x24x24 and 90 lb and more powerful but a lot more money.

11. imianwilliams

Well I finally decided

I've got some JBL Eon 15 G2's on the way.

So why the Eon's & not the Mackies?

Well...

I went & had a good listen to the Mackies, & they are a genuinely excellent speaker, .....& that I reckon is the problem. I actually think they're too good!!

I know this is going to sound illogical, but I found the sound to be too perfectly clean. When I'm listening to pumping dance music (& I'm probably exagerating to make a point here), I don't actually want it sound like I'm in the control room of a recording studio, I want my music to sound a little "dirtier"

Does anybody understand what I mean?

The other thing is, I had a strict budget of £1000. The Mackies sound nice, but if I had them, I'd always be wishing I had the budget to buy the 18" powered sub as well. The Mackies don't do much below 50 Hz, so you get a punchty sound from there upwards, but no "kick" from that bottom bass range.

Now I know the JBL's will also suffer from this to a certain extent. But I just felt that the JBL's went that little bit lower, had a bit more "kick" to them, & didn't sound so clean & clinical. Ideally these also need a sub or two, but to my ears, they seemed to have a fuller sound on their own than the Mackies did. .......they sounded more like a speaker that wanted to party!!

I realise that a pair of powered plastic boxes on sticks will always involve some degree of compromise. But as I've decided that I wanted this format (you can't get a HK / B52 style sub & satellites in a Smart!! :) ), I feel that the JBL's are closest to what I want.

12. pulsewidth_Tf

pulsewidth_Tf Forum Member

Congrats on finally going with something. I also often bang my head against the wall for too long on decisions like that... ;)

You won't regret the decision. Both speakers rock the party and my G2s have been one of my best purchases.

If you're going to be dragging these to a lot of house parties, i strongly recommend getting a pair of these:

JBL EON 15 carrying bag

Mine would be a lot more banged up without them...:)

13. imianwilliams

Well I'm sat here at work, & two very big boxes have just arrived for me!! :D :D :D

14. imianwilliams

I'm just trying to source a cheap pair of the protective bags for these.

On the link that Pulsewidth posted, the Americans can get these for $49. In the UK, I'm being quoted about £60 (approx $114)

Considering the current exchange rate, .....that's daylight robbery!! :eek:

15. DJ Finalee

DJ Finalee Forum Member

The bags are a must for obvious reason, if you want email me and Ill grab them here and ship them to you at cost, we can work out the details. Im sure you would do the same for me

Finalee

16. imianwilliams

Cheers Finalee.

I'll probably drop you a note later today & see what we can sort out.

17. Vince_Tf

Vince_Tf Forum Member

Ian I guess you haven't had a chance to try out those babies yet but I'm wondering if there is enough bass that you can usually get by without a subwoofer. According to the specs they go as low as an actual 15" sub, about 42 Hz -3 db., I'm wondering if they are as punchy as a 15" sub.

Also wondering about the mini-mixer on the back panel, looks like you can use that instead of a separate mixer although you might need to walk over to each speaker to tweak the level.

BTW when the Eon 15 at the local place bounced unharmed off the concrete floor, it was in the padded bag.

I haven't seen the B-52 Matrix system yet, but 2 owners told me it's a good sounding and reliable system. But if anything goes wrong with the electronics in the subwoofer box then the user might be totally without sound. While with 2 Eons or similar, if one dies you still have sound from the other.

18. imianwilliams

Well we cranked these baby's up at work this afternoon & they certainly do seem to kick quite nicely (as far as you can tell in an office with 3 people stood in it), I think they'll be suitable for most small gigs up to 100-150 people.

Now you know those little bar gigs, where all you need is a pair of powered speakers, a lappy & a mixer? ......well it looks like I can use my current mode of transport to get there.

This is my speakers arriving home in the back of my Smart.

[​IMG]

19. Vince_Tf

Vince_Tf Forum Member

How are the Eons performing Ian, enough bass? And can you use them without a separate mixer?

There's a local DJ company going out of business, I think he did weddings and similar, that has a load of Mackie speakers for sale, I'm tempted. He has
    2 X 450's,
    2 X 1530 (3 way speaker)
    2 X 1500 (subwoofer, previous version of 1501)

They're about 60% of new cost and a little over a year old and mint condition.

I could actually buy it all and try it out and just keep what is best for me, since the price is reasonable I won't lose much if anything if I flip it within a few months.

I think the 2 450's would be good for me as they're so portable. The other boxes are near 100 lb each and are a problem to move and store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.