PresetMagician: Generate NKS Presets from VST plugins

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Drachenkatze, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Drachenkatze

Drachenkatze NI Product Owner

PresetMagician is an application to automatically create NKS Presets from your non-NKS compatible VST plugins. You can then use Maschine and Komplete Kontrol hardware to browse and load presets - including audio previews for synths!

Notable features:
    • Supports additional metadata from VST plugins like bank information, types, modes, author and comments and exports that metadata into the NKS files
    • Allows an NKS controller mapping template to be defined per plugin
    • Supports editing of the NKS Resources, including plugin preview images. Also can auto-generate the images automatically
    • As of 2019-02-07, over 300 plugins are supported. For an up-to-date list see https://presetmagician.com/supported-plugins/

Download from presetmagician.com (Windows, 64 bit)

Information regarding Mac OS X

4e246d01-a3a7-4098-89d8-3bd9d89ee61f.jpg upload_2019-2-3_19-37-40 (1).png

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 20
  2. omegatron

omegatron NI Product Owner

Nice work and yeah sure.. :thumbsup:

3. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Great!!! This will help people a lot

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  4. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Sounds really interesting !

5. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Sure I'd be interested in helping testing, plenty of experience with sw development/testing etc on PC/Mac

6. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Excellent work so far and I would certainly be interested in helping test it.

7. mansion

mansion NI Product Owner

This is great! Anything that speeds up the process of putting presets into the library would be fantastic. I'd love to check it out.

8. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum Drachenkatze!
    Wow... That's really cool... I would love to test it and will buy it for sure on release.
    I am on OSX but I can use a VM, since it should be a simple app it will probably work with WineBottler.
    This is gonna put some websites out of business :S

A bit offtopic:
    I was following your work with Cabl a while ago, any plans on doing something else besides the Grafana application you wrote?

9. Drachenkatze

no, i just was curious on how the USB protocol worked and if I could control the Maschine Hardware myself. Hackers gonna Hack, you know ^^

10. Drachenkatze

Oh, I just remembered that I was trying to see if I could make the Maschine control Reason or FL Studio, but there is no suitable API anywhere to be found. I released the specs in the hope somebody else comes up with something cool. As I actively started producing music again, I was fed up that none of my favorite plugins support NKS, so that's how I ended up with this project ;)

• Like Like x 4
  11. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Great stuff !! would love to try it out.:)

12. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Sounds good, would be happy to test it too. Would certainly buy this... Real time saver

13. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Sounds great!
    I'd put down $20 for this, possibly more.
    The easier way to solve price is to charge what you think its worth...
    D-One did you make a similar app to automate thumbnails for Maschine?

14. D-One

No. I just made a Guide on how to use NiMBank which allows the creation of Custom User Expansions thru modification of the Author, Vendor, Product, etc... (Which NI doesn't allow), adding a thumbnail is part of the process to make it look better in the browser.

I wish I had development knowledge to actually make app for this, I could probably make some $ on the side :D

EDIT: I just remembered I hired a dev in a freelance website to make a GUI for the nimbank script with the permission of the author, the experience wasn't too pleasant TBH, some people claimed it didn't work although it worked for me, since there wasn't much feedback I decided to abandon the idea... Using a python script is not that hard anyway.

My chicken expansion example:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Drachenkatze

Speaking of this, do you know any tools to import/tag a huge bunch of sample libraries? I bought the "All Samples From Mars" pack a year ago when it was 39 USD instead of 799 USD, and now I'm sitting on a huge collection of samples where some of them have Kontakt presets, some of them Maschine presets, but most of them have neither of those. Never used them because I was too lazy (or effortless) to categorize, tag and import them into Maschine.

If you have general development knowledge, I actually started with C# and .NET only a week ago (I usually develop on Linux and do Web Stuff). If you have no development experience at all, I agree, it's a bit of a rough start.

Well, from a pure end user perspective, getting a python script to run in the first place *could* be tricky. python2 vs python3, maybe library dependencies, and even using the CLI to navigate to the right directory could be an issue (I'm way too spoilt by zsh on linux, always having trouble using cmd.exe)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Drachenkatze

Unfortunately I think I have to postpone the first release for a bit. During testing on my music computer, I found that at least one VSTi (V-Station Version 2.1) crashes PresetMagician. I know that there are newer versions, and they do work fine. Odd thing is that it works on Windows 7 and doesn't on Windows 10. I don't really want to release a version where the first thing you see is a crash ;)

17. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yeah a tag editor like mp3tag editor would be great where you can extract things out of the name and say if this is named this than make that tag and so on or vice versa make a name out of tags or parts of the name out of tags

18. D-One

Nop... This is another area where having a dedicated batch application would be amazing.
    The procedure is super annoying, we have to import to library, rescan, then find all the sounds and tag them... All this in a tiny window inside the Maschine Browser.
    I too have libraries I never ended up using because of all the work it takes to organize them.

From my experience, it is indeed a bit annoying to use python on Windows, just installing it is already complicated for most people... on OSX it's a lot easier, it comes preinstalled and folders can be drag and dropped in the terminal to auto-fill the long navigation paths.

19. Drachenkatze

I'm glad I'm not the only one. NI Software really lacks organizing functionalities :)

I just had a quick look around on how NI Maschine actually manages sample information, and it's pretty easy. So maybe a feature I'll also implement

• Like Like x 3
  20. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

I plan on buying a maschine, but this was my main gripe with the future purchase.

I would be willing to support you with this when I am sure to run into preset problems.