PresetMagician: Generate NKS Presets from VST plugins

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Drachenkatze, Nov 10, 2018.

1. plopseaw

plopseaw NI Product Owner

Drachenkatze,

Thanks for your great dedication, I bought your software and very happy.

Ways back you asked if anyone would be interested in something similar for Bitwig.

I dont know if you got a good response. However, I would be very interested in a tool which creates Bitwig presets in the same way or that can convert NKS to Bitwig (even better as I have a ton of NKS :)

Id be willing to pay and beta test such a tool and I guess if you ask over at the KVR Bitwig forum there would be many who would want it to.

What do you think?

2. Drachenkatze

Drachenkatze NI Product Owner

I just updated the PresetMagician site so that the renamed installer is now downloaded correctly, which means that you can now download PresetMagician 0.6.3 from the main site. Users that use the in-app updater were not affected.

For directly supported plugins, user presets are most likely supported. If not, please file a bug report. Note that "user presets" differ from plugin to plugin.

Not entirely correct, see https://presetmagician.gitbook.io/help/faq/nks#additional-information-for-images-dist_database

The most recent PresetMagician version should handle this correctly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Drachenkatze

I have thought about this, however, I did not find time to reverse engineer the Bigwig preset format so far. Chances are good that I'll implement this at some time in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  4. plopseaw

plopseaw NI Product Owner

Sounds great. Iam sure the Bitwig guys are much more open to sharing format info than NI.

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I'm thinking I might get this to run on my old Windows laptop (since main system is Mac). Can you add things like bankname for third party u-he and Omnisphere banks?

6. Drachenkatze

Yes, in the preset editor

7. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Cool I'll demo it - it's Win 7 so will it run?

8. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Tried loading Synapse Dune (not Dune 2/3) but it crashed

9. Drachenkatze

Please file a support request from within PresetMagician.

10. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I will when I can find the app to reopen it - hate Windows, it puts stuff all over the place. Where is it installed?

11. Drachenkatze

You should find it in the Windows Start Menu

12. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

It's not there I tried that first

I need to find the app and create a shortcut

13. Drachenkatze

In the start menu it should be in Drachenkatze => PresetMagician

If it isn't, I assume your Windows installation is heavily broken.

Usually all programs are installed in C:\Program Files

14. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

It's heavily hacked - I hated the Windows shell so am running bblean - but the application did load after I installed it - it opens by default and I authorised the trial so it should be somewhere

15. Drachenkatze

As mentioned in my last reply, the default installation path is C:\Program Files

16. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Just use the search function maybe.....................................alternatively try reinstalling it and if you didn't alter the path originally it should try and load the new installation into the same place and you can note it

17. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Got it working, it seems the setup download doesn't install anything on my system, it just launches Preset Magician as an app, so the app was in the downloads folder.

18. Drachenkatze

Setup will always install, then PresetMagician is being started from the program files folder. There's no way otherwise.

19. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

OK - well it's working anyway, the only problem is the preset editor window doesn't resize enough for the OK to show fully on my laptop

20. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

This is a bit weird. In terms of visibilty I've not had any problems at all with Preset Magician and I mainly work on a laptop.. What graphics solution do you have?