PresetMagician: Generate NKS Presets from VST plugins

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Drachenkatze, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

No idea - it's an old i7 Dell XPS 17"

2. Drachenkatze

Drachenkatze NI Product Owner

The minimum dialog size is 986x793 pixels for the preset editor, which should work on any system with a resolution higher than 1024x768. Try to configure your screen resolution, I doubt that a Dell XPS would have that low resolution. Also, you can configure the task bar at the bottom of the screen to automatically hide.

3. Toners

Toners New Member

1) When PresetMagician preset parser report plugin as 'Audio Previews are non-functional for this plugin' or 'FallbackVstPresetParser' - shall that be considered as a bug and reported?

I have some plugins that are important to me, but the audio preview generator doesn't work for them.

2) When trying to submit issue from the self-emerging 'Fatal error' window online, it doesn't work. I always need to submit offline instead.

[​IMG]

3) Can we use PresetMagician to just generate artwork resources, even if there's no presets to be imported? I've noticed that such artwork doesn't appear in the Maschine software?

Thank you for a wonderful software concept. :thumbsup:

4. Drachenkatze

For 'Audio Previews are non-functional for this plugin': No need to report them, I'm already aware of the issue and I have most likely a fix for that in the next release.

For 'FallbackVstPresetParser': This usually has nothing to do with the audio previews, just the way how the presets are imported. I have added a bit of info for that on https://presetmagician.gitbook.io/help/faq/plugin-support#is-my-plugin-supported (but I still need to describe how these differ). If the NKS presets works fine for plugins with the FallBackVstPresetParser, but audio previews don't, you can try to increase the audio preview pre-delay as documented at https://app.gitbook.com/@presetmagician/s/help/manual/reference/plugin-settings. I also have an upcoming bugfix for audio previews in the next release, so you might wait until the next release. If it then still doesn't work, please do file a bug report and I'll have a look at it - however I can't promise if and when it can be fixed. As usual, I try my best.

I'll have a look into this, but I'm afraid I most likely can't fix this for the upcoming release (but probably for the release after that).

Yes, the resources should be generated even if no presets are present. However, there are some "bugs" related to that and since I don't have access to the NKS specification it's quite some trial and error getting this right.

Thank you :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drachenkatze

I'm super excited to announce the first beta version of PresetMagician after almost 9 months of development!

This marks a really big milestone for me, because I'm always afraid of releasing software too early. On the other hand, I never would have anticipated that PresetMagician would have dedicated support for over 300 VST plugins and 1600+ supported auto-reported plugins.

So here I present: PresetMagician 0.9.0. It's not a massive (x) release, and the next releases up until 1.0 will mostly have bugfixes and new preset parsers. Don't expect radical new features in the next month or so - I'm trying to be careful not to introduce new bugs. I'll also slowly reach out to the press to spread the word.

Changelog:

Bugfixes

• Fixed a problem with SynthEdit plugins where they report back the same data for all programs and PresetMagician marked the additional programs as duplicate
    • Fixed a problem where updating from PresetMagician 0.5.8 or earlier resulted in a crash
    • The default audio preview duration is now 3 instead of 6 seconds, which should significantly decrease the time required to generate audio previews
    • The audio preview duration can now be configured per preview note player
    • Added detection if audio previews are empty, and if so, the preview pre-delay is automatically increased up to 10 times of the initial duration to give plugins enough time to load and process their presets. This should hopefully fix most issues with empty audio previews.
    • Decreased the minimum size for the preset editor to allow it to be used on smaller resolutions like 1024x768
    New Features
    • Added function to override the plugin name
    • Individual presets can now be added to the export list using the preset editor
    • Added a function to strip [jBridge] prefixes from plugin names
    Vendor-specific preset parsers:
    • Added:
      • KV331 Audio SynthMaster (no metadata import yet)
      • Parawave Rapid
    • Changed:
      • Air Music Tech Boom, Db33, Hybrid, Loom, MiniGrand, TheRiser, Vacuum, Vacuum Pro, Xpand!2: Audio previews should now work.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Lab Rat

Lab Rat NI Product Owner

Still no audio for many of my Air Music Tech preset previews.

7. Drachenkatze

Please file a bug report or support request and include details. All I can say that they work for me.

8. Drachenkatze

Also note that this is not to make you do extra work; quite the contrary is the case. The problem I'm facing is that in that case, I do not know if there are any errors in the log, which exact plugins are effected, I do not know under which circumstances the problem occurs and I can't reproduce the problem here. As such I need as much information as possible. Software systems are hugely complex and often quite a lot of creativity and a hunch is required to actually find out the problem's cause. It took me a few months to figure out why the Air Plugins didn't generate any audio in PresetMagician, spending hours and hours trying to figure out why. The manufacturer often don't want to provide any help, the VST specs are vague at best and combined with a huge variety of operating systems, libraries and computer settings I require as many information as possible to find and fix a bug as fast as possible.

A bug report with a precise description helps lots, because it also includes the plugin and main log files where I can have a look if something is suspicious. It doesn't guarantee it, but it helps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Toners

Toners New Member

Air Music Hybrid and Vacuum Pro, works perfectly.

Xpand!2 has 2 issues:

- Art images (NKS Resources) will not appear in Maschine software UNLESS using 'Override Plugin Name' from 'Plugin Settings' tab to rename it into Xpand2 (the ! is causing the problem)

- Audio previews are generated just for every 3-4 preset.

Wonderful update! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  10. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

See no mention of FXpansion Strobe 2 or Cypher 2 in the supported or unsupported pages - are these just not possible at all?

11. Drachenkatze

If it follows the VST programs standard, probably. Otherwise not yet.

12. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Not sure about that but probably - they are compatible with NKS as I saved by hand a couple of Strobe 2 banks and the whole of their factory banks were exported using scripting by Christos Adamos. It's just I bought several more Cypher and Strobe banks and would like to avoid having to do it all by hand again as it's likely to take a whole afternoon.

13. Drachenkatze

Easiest solution: Load up PresetMagician, click analyze and if there's an X it's not supported. If not supported, report the unsupported plugins so I can prioritize them.

14. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

OK there's an X for both so please can you see if they can be added - they do work as NKS as I made templates for both

15. Drachenkatze

16. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

They certainly support 'getChunk()/setChunk()' as I have saved out many patches as NKS - I have full versions so you'll have to try the demo to see if that is not disabled, I hope not, it would be stupid (but the dev may be open to changing this if it affects NKS compatibility)

17. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

thanks again for all your hard work, Drachenkatze!!

18. Toners

Toners New Member

Where do I add a feature suggestion? Not sure I can see it in the software?

19. Drachenkatze

Under Support => Create Feature Request

Please don't combine multiple requests as I have to split them, thank you :)

20. husselblum

husselblum New Member

The plugin is coming along wonderfully, congratulations Drachenkatze!
    How are the chances that we'll be someday able to use it for 3rd party Kontakt-Libraries? Those are still what I use the most, it'd be outright perfect to have your wonderful plugin create NKS-Files with sound previews...

Thanks a lot for your work!

• Like Like x 1