1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

PresetMagician: Generate NKS Presets from VST plugins

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Drachenkatze, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Drachenkatze

Drachenkatze NI Product Owner

Quick Update: I think I am way too overexcited, because the next release will support almost all u-he instruments:

ACE, Bazille, Diva, Hive, Podolski, Repro-1, Repro-5, TripleCheese, TyrellN6, Zebra2 and Zebralette

Big shout out to u-he for making their preset storage system predictable, so basically each plugin took only like 5 minutes of work (and waiting several hours to generate all presets including audio previews. And also I was able to implement it using their demos, which I really love <3

I know that some u-he plugins have NKS support, however, as they don't create audio previews, it's way easier to just let PresetMagician go over all presets.

2. Drachenkatze

PresetMagician 0.0.2 Alpha is now released!

Changelog here

Notable changes:
    • D16 Punchbox and almost all synths from u-he supported
    • Added crash handler to avoid VST plugins crashing PresetMagician
    • Added a "Submit unsupported plugin" feature to submit the unsupported plugins to a central database, in order to prioritize plugin support

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

An unhandled exception occured. The log has been written ********** etc

Attached Files:

4. Home Studio

Home Studio NI Product Owner

Thank you I will try it

5. Drachenkatze

Can you check if the file C:\Program Files\Drachenkatze\PresetMagician\ControlzEx.dll has been installed?

If yes, can you give me a few details on your system, like Operating System, Architecture (32 or 64 bit) etc?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  6. Drachenkatze

Nevermind, I was able to reproduce the issue. In theory, the installer should upgrade from a previous version, but it didn't. In my case, it did help to uninstall a previous version, and install the new version afterwards.

7. tempsperdu

Tried un-installing and reinstalling and though that did the trick as soon as I started trying to do a scan I got another 'unhandled exception occured' and subsequent crash. Windows 10 Pro 1809

Attached Files:

8. Drachenkatze

That's odd, it says it can't find the DLL "Jacobi.Vst.Interop.dll" which should exist in C:\Program Files\Drachenkatze\PresetMagician, can you see if it's there?

The only dependency which Jacobi.Vst.Interop.dll has is the Visual C++ Runtime, which should be at C:\Windows\System32\MSVCR110.dll.

If that's too much hassle, I'm planning on a new setup which directly installs everything in the app directory, so if you can wait until next weekend ;)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  9. tempsperdu

OK MSVCR110.dll was missing so I d/led it from Microsoft and Magician is running. Managed to do one folder and submit unsupported plug ins (which was all of them). On second folder attempt it crashed when it reached the Rea plugins.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Drachenkatze

Thank you for the testing effort!

Did it create a log file for the second folder?

11. Garf Richards

Garf Richards NI Product Owner

Really cool! I will wait for the Mac version :)

12. Drachenkatze

Unfortunately there won't be a Mac version, as I do not own a mac and without one, it's impossible to legally create Mac apps.

13. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

You can setup a dual boot on pc... My Mac is actually a PC :D

14. Drachenkatze

The focus here is on legality. Whilst some argue that it is legal, I don't think so. And even if it was legal for me to do so, I would have to:
    • Purchase OSX
    • Learn Swift or ObjectiveC or use something else (like QT)
    • Throw away everything that has been developed so far in C#
    • Invest a ridiculous amount of time looking for alternative components
      • I used many third-party projects, mainly MIT licensed, to help me build PresetMagician in a very short amount of time
    It's not going to happen. Apple is a closed ecosystem and I had the "joy" of developing an app for a customer once, never going to happen again.

If you're on osx and want to use PresetMagician, install a Windows VM please.

15. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

I see where you're coming from but it is more about sales potential for your soft... A VM won't allow me to do so, OS X is very cheap and VM works both ways now

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/macos-windows-10-virtual-machine/

and My old Mac is a PC now... Works better :D

Just saying that lots of music producer prefer Mac OS for stability and indeed we can do the job millions of times to get it done but you could do it once and for all and this kind of hard work usually pay for sure in the end... But yeah, I myself will certainly try to sort things out with the system you offer which is already a long awaited kind of program as doing this one by one is so tedious... But still again you have all my support and admiration for the impressive work you've done so far.... I wish I had your skills :cool:

16. Drachenkatze

Sales potential? I'll be very lucky if I sell 100 licenses, and even if it did, it wouldn't cover the development costs up until now (let's say 39€ per license, makes 3900€, which is a month's wage and I'm already working on it for over a month). It won't make me any profit. I do it in my free time, because I want to solve a problem I personally have (namely convert VSTi presets to NKS) and for fun.

I thought about Open Source, where I spent 7 years developing and maintaining PartKeepr, received almost no donations or patreons and then people complain about that I hold back bugfixes on purpose, I decided against it.

I understand your point, and if it was relatively easy to make it cross-platform, I would immediately do it - but unfortunately the situation is different. Maybe one day we'll get .NET WPF for Mac, but up until then I'm sincerely sorry :(

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  17. tempsperdu

Hopefully this is the log file created by a Rea Plug in crash

Attached Files:

18. Drachenkatze

Unfortunately no, but it's a good find as well ;) Finally gotta set up a bug tracker...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Don't be sorry, I am probably too naive about the whole thing you certainly have more experience in that field. It is always so easy to talk and so much harder to achieve something. As I said I really admire that kind of skills, keep up the good work I'll do mine in due time :thumbsup:

20. tempsperdu

I tried to generate an error log by loading the folder again with the Rea plugs but it just crashed when it got to them without producing an error log.