1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Presets Browser...

Discussion in 'MASSIVE + MASSIVE X' started by MoHoK, Apr 30, 2021.

1. MoHoK

MoHoK NI Product Owner

by any means i really love NI presets... i love the sound, and the way things can go by simple ways up to very very advanced to do anything... though i have a "complaint" about massive and Massive X along with Fm8... and this is the Presets browser...

if you close the plugin, and take it up again the browser is reseting... it's not back in the state it was like "X Bankname / That type of instruments / any sub categories if there are any / Preset Name" and everytime you have to search or follow the things again and again .... same goes for FM8, while in Massive X the inability create/editing banknames is making it even worse... just a "user" area that could have 1 million presets and just scrolling... while the next/previous button just resets, no search function... the more presets/expansions someone has the more unuseable these plugins become when you have to search, try, change presets or whatever... working like this is time consuming and goes against creativity...

someone suggested me using Komplete Kontrol, but my answer is no... the way it's handling presets is a mess.... non customizable, and not at least resizable...

this is my big complaint about your products... any clues if they will be fixed someday or any way to avoid them?

• Like Like x 5
  2. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

i just use Komplete Kontrol just to browse presets. once i've found one that i want to mess around with, i will delete the Komplete Kontrol instance, and then open up Massive X in my DAW. i know it's not the greatest workaround (and sometimes it is a buzzkill), but it will tie me over until NI releases an update of Massive X later this year with an enhanced browser. personally, i think they should revamp the Kore browser for Massive X because that was so customizable!

3. MoHoK

MoHoK NI Product Owner

i hope this update come soon sir... i have tried working with komplete kontrol ... but the workflow as you already mentioned isn't the greatest workaround... while i find myself working or experimenting on various genres, styles etc...since I havent any real standards in terms of using some kind of template or some standard presets that I work with, all this procedure becomes something that is really hard to cope with this... :( thank you very much for your reply ♥️

• Like Like x 3
  4. Vagus

Vagus NI Product Owner

Just to make a point - the KK browser has almost all the attributes from Kore. I find it incredibly useful. Just needs VST3 support, some user customisation and preview creation as standard and it would dominate the market, IMO.

I use Massive X with a KK instance, because that works for me, although everyone is different.

5. MoHoK

MoHoK NI Product Owner

First thing is that the way the whole management comes up in kk for me isn't working...
    I don't see a reason searching presets there when on first hand this should be working on the vst alone...
    I don't see a reason for me using a vst wrapper to load the wanted vst and using even more resources than needed by loading kk... not sure what's happening in terms of resources as the presets list goes bigger and bigger.. in big projects resources are crucial..
    I don't use a native instruments midi keyboard so I can't get any real benefits from kk...

Everyone is working in the way he likes ofc.. or seems easier for him.. but this one vst for all, isn't working for me as many others I guess... Asking for every vst being able to work on its own without being in need for kk or any other thing like this isn't a crazy expectation/demand... It's a feature that already exists and needs polishing.. but anyway in my case I don't see any real benefits by using kk...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vagus

Vagus NI Product Owner

I do agree that if it's working in KK, then it should work in MX directly, so I'm unsure why it's taking so long to organise the preset browser.

Personally, I use KK for previews, but I've got some hefty memory, so it's less of an issue for me. Realistically, there's no reason why this couldn't be brought over to Kontakt- but I also think Kontakt needs a massive update, perhaps a rewrite.

7. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

It's not fully working though in KK either, and that is a longstanding issue with KK that it is great as a browser for existing patches created by NI and companies who are NKS partners with NI. However it is still, as with MX, very limited if you want to create and organise your own content, or use sounds and instruments outside of the NKS ecosystem. After so many years of banging my head against NI's brick wall over this it really makes me wonder if NI is trying to shape the market so that anyone designing plugins or content has to sign up as NKS partners, and that they are not interested in providing users with the tools to create and manage their own content.

8. Vagus

Vagus NI Product Owner

I think they designed file formats that are fiddly enough that is takes us as users a while to learn how to get around shortcomings of a lack of user library features. If we were given those, NKS partners probably wouldn't pay for the privilege of creating those NKS compatible files, which after working around the problem for a while, I can see isn't that difficult to do. The encoding and protected libraries are the selling point.

The problem with that selling point, and a major hurdle for me in user tools being available, is that NI charge in advance for a specified number of serials. This seems a little early 2000s to me, when they could take a note from Steam in the games space, and just create an all encompassing store and charge 15% on anything sold, as any major storefront does. Not just for NI product, but for every product.

If it wanted to, NI could cut out the majority of pirating in the industry by just investing in a store, an API for developers to enable them to sell properly, and a good marketing team. Until they figure that out, I think we'll still be waiting for an expanded user toolset.

9. Nikal Might

Nikal Might NI Product Owner

The browser resetting every time I do anything is incredibly annoying. No, I don't want to go back to the first preset in the list. I want to go to the next preset in the bank that I'm in already where I left it. Traktor does this kind of thing as well. Just save the state and recall it instead of re-initialising it every time:rolleyes:

Why does the plugin have to scan the entire library every time it opens? Just load the recalled patch first and then scan the library, preferably on another thread.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MoHoK

MoHoK NI Product Owner

sorry for the late reply.. but oh gosh... the library reset is ARGH!!! #$(@$(@#$@#$ in ten tonz of presets searching something and everytime have to go back from scratch.... i have this complaint since ever start using these products... every time i have to remember where i was searching, or keeping notes in the tracks even for this when i have to make changes... time consuming without a reason :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. chk071

chk071 NI Product Owner

I'm afraid that many don't understand that Massive X was designed to be used with KK.

12. MoHoK

MoHoK NI Product Owner

but kk isn't perfect too... 3rd party libraries without any kind of tags etc say "hi" the organization of it isn't perfect too...it can't also edit presets (bank names, types, categories, etc etc) but anyway... it's a long conversation...

13. Nikal Might

Nikal Might NI Product Owner

The things, it can be fixed by saving and restoring the state of perhaps two variables at the most- the current bank/folder and the current patch . Every time you close the GUI, the entire browser resets. I don't know why NI can't fix this in a tiny patch, then all these complaints would go away. I have few complaints remaining about the synth itself.

14. chk071

chk071 NI Product Owner

What is perfect in this world? :) I see people are complaining that MX's built in preset browser doesn't work for them. The answer is: Use KK. That's what the synth is designed for. If that doesn't work for you either, then, well... not much you can do about it right now. I frankly doubt that noone can work with it though. More of a matter of being willing to work with it or not.

15. Urskog

Urskog New Member

Even IF Massive X was designed for strict use with Komplete Kontrol, it does not excuse a preset browser reset bug like this not being fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  16. chk071

chk071 NI Product Owner

Read post #11, and note the post I adressed with my answer. It was not about excusing a bug in the preset browser.

17. Vesu

Vesu New Member

NI should focus on rebuilding the preset browser or fixing browser's bugs.
    Forcing you to use Komplete Kontrol is a bad idea and a nonsense.

• Like Like x 2