pressing EXT button accidentally while you adjust the gain during your set just STOPS the music :(

Discussion in 'KONTROL S2 / KONTROL S4' started by DJ Flex I, Nov 9, 2018.

1. DJ Flex I

DJ Flex I NI Product Owner

Ok guys, where to start.. I had a really serious issue yesterday on the first gig with the new controller. Has anyone noticed that,
    pressing the EXT button accidentally while you adjust the gain during your set just STOPS the music.. I mean.. that was really stupid design decision, why is it done so you can screw it so easily.. Gain is something you play all the time, it is so easy to hit the ext if you have big fingers.

I'm not gonna hate more on the design decision, just I think for the solution:
    1. If you press EXT it just switches the mode between ext sources
    2. EXT goes to LIVE input, only if SHIFT is pressed

It doesn't make sense, I lock the playing deck from the preferences, but it's so easy to STOP your music while your doing your live set.. just press EXT on the working deck, and.. you make 300 people or more wondering why there is no music.. this is not acceptable.

2. Aleksandr *GARUDA* Zubov

Aleksandr *GARUDA* Zubov NI Product Owner

3. DJ Flex I

There is no need to record video, it is very easy to reproduce:

1. Play a track in deck A.
    2. Hit EXT button, next to the gain of channel A. It changes the deck A type to Live Input and the music stops.

4. Aleksandr *GARUDA* Zubov

5. marinelli

marinelli NI Product Owner

"If you press EXT it just switches the mode between ext sources"

Cannot work until the S4 has no standalone mixer function. Live Input is the only way at the moment.

However I think you're right, some sort of security feature would be cool.

• Like Like x 2
  6. DJ Flex I

Man, this is unacceptable.. I mean I have a gig, and track is running on deck A. Of course, I am in a mix, so I constantly play with EQ and gain. and what happens - BOOM, pressed accidentally EXT button and all I have left is 1 filtered and almost gone track on deck B :( totally screwed

7. marinelli

Well it was alway possible to take the needle from the record playing, it was always possible to press "Eject" on the CDJ playing. There's always a possibility for a DJ that isn't careful to stop the music on the floor by accident.

I'm with you, that the current situation is not ideal at all, but "unacceptable"? Come on...
    BTW:
    I played half a dozen gigs with the new S4 without ever pressing "ext" accidently.

8. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

You shouldn't have to change the gain much while mixing, just load the track and set it once using your headphones. The volume faders are for mixing.

But I agree it's silly to have the input switch so close to the gain knob. This is why input switches should be slide/tumble switches, or knobs.

CDJs also have a setting that prevents a CD from being ejected while playing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  9. DJ Flex I

Guys, there is a simple solution. Just NI have to change it:
    1. Shift-EXT toggles to LIVE input
    2. EXT only changes between different external types (mic, phono, etc)

My style of mixing includes heavy use of the EQ and Gain, to make mastering all the levels perfectly during the mix, so when I remove the outgoing track the overall level is not dropping. I touch gain and EQ all the time to ensure everything is perfect, I don't use auto gain, limiter, etc. This is too important to leave on software, also I want to make my transition seamless from a track to another track. That's why for me having a possibility to press a button and stop my music in front of 1000 or more people on a gig is unacceptable.

10. marinelli

You can do whatever you want but if your styles relays on changing the gain during a mix you clearly didn't understand the purpose of a gain knob.

"having a possibility to press a button and stop my music in front of 1000 or more people on a gig is unacceptable."
    There's always a dozen buttons on every setup that can cause the music to stop....

11. DJ Flex I

Lol, are you serious?! Yes, there are, but these buttons are not so close to controls that you manipulate every track!

12. Aleksandr *GARUDA* Zubov

Crazy DJ :D

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  13. DJ Flex I

yes, actually there are some DJs that are more than simply mixing from track A to track B. That's why I say this EXT button the way it works now is a serious design flow.

14. DJFriendZone

DJFriendZone New Member

I remember seeing this when I was testing it out and was worried about this happening live as well. I think an option to have it only switch when the deck is stopped shouldn't be too hard to implement and would be very useful.

15. zyguli

zyguli New Member

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1