1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Pro 3 Character Encoding problem

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Axel Grewe, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Axel Grewe

Axel Grewe New Member

Using Traktor Pro 3 on my Mac (Mojave, 10.14.1), I have a weird problem: é becomes é (looks like a typical UTF-8 and iso-latin conversion problem) - very annoying, as I have a lot of titles with Spanish titles or Spanish interprets.

Here's what I do:
    • Import iTunes library
    • analyze tracks
    • refresh meta data in iTunes - voilà
    Anybody else seen that? I'll now revert to TP2 and load the backup...

And: no, this did not happen with TP2.

2. simulachre

simulachre New Member

I've also been having some severe issues with character encoding.

When I attempt to import tracks that have a non-ASCII character in the file path, Traktor Pro 3 says the file is missing. If I try to locate it I still cannot import it.

On a related note, I've also been trying to import M3U playlist files and discovered that if there's over a certain number of files in the playlist, the playlist will be created in Traktor without any tracks. If I change the M3U file encoding to Windows-1252, the playlist imports successfully.

This is incredibly frustrating and I'm really regretting paying for the upgrade.

3. Siasia

Siasia New Member

I have simmilar issue with M3U files on my Macbook with Traktor 3. When I exported .m3u playlist and open it in another application (e.g VLC Media Player) it works fine, but when I save .m3u playlist in VLC and import it to Traktor, there's some encoding problem, and I can't play any track. You can see it in attached photo. This is really frustrating! Haven't that issue in Traktor 2. :/

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  4. kokernutz

kokernutz NI Product Owner

I too have problems with iTunes, Traktor and diacriticals. I've manually fixed them (pain in the ass) but it seems to keep happening. I thought it was because I was also using iTunes on a PC (at work) and it was munging up tags and filenames, but I'm not so sure.

5. Siasia

Siasia New Member

Message from support:
    ok, I will file a bug report. Thanks for letting us know.

so, we have to wait...

• Like Like x 1
  6. kokernutz

I just turned this on in Traktor Pro 3 and I hope it helps. (This is under File Management.) traktor_tags.png

7. WandaMayer

WandaMayer New Member

Sure, turning off tag writing would be an option, kokernutz, but this is a severe bug that should get addressed...
    Is this still happening with 3.1 ?
    I'm still scared to update from 2.x, after reading about all the problems that people have. What a buggy release so far, NI should do better quality testing.

8. kokernutz

I agree. If it is a bug on the Traktor side then it should absolutely get fixed by NI.

But for me, I want to do all my library management in iTunes and use its Smart Playlists along with my method of tagging files via the Comments field.

I do not want Traktor overwriting anything. So hopefully this new option will be enough for me.

9. Siasia

Siasia New Member

Tag writing mode not solving the bug

10. Siasia

Siasia New Member

Still nothing... :/

11. kokernutz

My only update is to say that Rekordbox has none of the iTunes sync, tag, and diacritical problems that Traktor has.

12. Axel Grewe

Axel Grewe New Member

For me it works after the update to 3.1.1 Dared only to try the update last week...

13. Axel Grewe

Axel Grewe New Member

but it is only available on subscription basis. A nogo for me.

14. kokernutz

I really only said that to make a point that it is technically possible to not have these types of bugs.

15. Anti-Skating

Anti-Skating NI Product Owner

That’s incorrect. You can purchase the features you want/need as plus packs if you don’t want to pay for a subscription.

16. Vinyl Tap

Vinyl Tap NI Product Owner

I've got an interest here - it seems like this is also an issue in 2.11.

I've found that some artist names (anything with an accent on a letter, "é", for example) gets the accent stripped when it gets written to the Collection.nml.

That sucks - because it means there is different information for the same track across Traktor, Windows Explorer & iTunes.

This must be an oversight???

17. Axel Grewe

Axel Grewe New Member

Well, I have to withdraw this. It does work on my Macbook but does not work on my iMac. Interestingly enough, both are on exactly the same macOS and iTunes version. *Sigh*

18. Axel Grewe

Axel Grewe New Member

Well - indeed, searching for titles with non-ascii characters in never really worked in version 2 as well. So, yes there are long-lasting unicode problems in Traktor.

19. Vinyl Tap

MP3Tag to the rescue, then!

Such a shame that we have to become experts in OTHER software to be able to use a Traktor properly...

20. Vinyl Tap

I've done some work on this today, and I've narrowed it down to the way iTunes stores the FILE PATH for songs with diacritics in the filename.

It looks like iTunes actually STRIPS the diacritics from the FILE PATH ONLY when it stores that info in the iTunes Library.xml, replacing it with standard letters (é becomes e, á becomes a, for example), but leaves the diacritics intact in the tags. Very annoying.

So - looks like I bashed Traktor for no good reason...:eek:

Seems like the problem is in the Traktor/iTunes integration. Certainly in my own case, anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1