1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

PRO 3 & S8 - Level meters

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by johnthursday, Oct 22, 2018.

1. johnthursday

johnthursday New Member

Hi there,

noticed that there is a discrepancy between the levels being displayed on my S8 and levels being displayed on my laptop screen when I've got PRO 3 running.

I'd usually use the level meters on my S8 to adjust the gains appropriately but the moment I set my levels so the meter only occasionally hits the first orange led the meter in PRO 3 would be all orange.

Would I need to go by the PRO 3 level meter shown on my laptop screen to get the gains right?

• Like Like x 1
  2. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

Exact same thing here with my S5. I'm happy with the new version so far (though it crashed once when adjusting preferences), but I don't know which metering to trust.

I'm going to record a mini mix relying on the software levels, then re-do the same mix relying on the S5's meters (which show MUCH lower than the software) and see which seems more true. (FWIW, my money's on the software version being more accurate).

3. ErikMinekus

ErikMinekus NI Product Owner

This is a bug. The level meters on the S5 and S8 max out at 8dB, but on the MK3 controllers they max out at 0dB.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

This is a known issue and will be resolved.

5. radiokrishna

radiokrishna NI Product Owner

Exactly same with my Z1. Someday I hope to see the same levels on the screen and on the controller.

6. alexbnieto

alexbnieto NI Product Owner

trust the levels on your controller. i ran master out to an analog mixer and they match perfectly. as has been stated before, probably a bug.

7. boysteve

Definitely hard to maintain consistent levels -- the metering is wildly different on my S5, the main out, and the channel. I'm having to do more level tweaking on recorded mixes than usual. I think I will definitely try alexbnieto's suggestion next time out & keep an eye on the controller meters, if only because they're consistent. I really hope this gets resolved soon.

8. KonSequent

KonSequent New Member

Hi,

i have the same problem with Traktor Pro 3 and my Kontrol S8.

Has anyone contacted support to fix the problem?

Until then, follow the display of the peak level meter per channel of the controller (S5, S8)

9. boysteve

I've recorded a few mixes with T3 now, and levels are definitely more consistent if I go by my S5 metering and ignore everything else. I can live with this until there's a fix.

However....

Beatgridding has gone back ten years. I've been really happy with Traktor's nailing the down beats on analyzing; I rarely have to fiddle with the grids. Now, though, it's the way it was with Traktor Studio 2.5.6 -- at least half of my analyzed tracks have to have the beatgrid adjusted for them to be in sync.

I get that this was rebuilt from the ground up, but I really wish we didnt' have to re-solve old problems.

==EDIT==
    Scratch that last bit about beatgrids. Some reading in the forum made me realize that it's not the beatgrids. I'm being bitten by the same bug a lot of others are: when key lock is on, locked tracks aren't on beat.

It's definitely back to T2 for me until this gets fixed. Not a disaster, but certainly a lot of time wasted.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  10. Psyfl00r

Psyfl00r New Member

Same Bug with MacBook Pro and Traktor 3 with Kontrol S8.
    Fix it....

11. boysteve

I'm glad to see that the 3.02 update has fixed the keylock/tempo-drift issue (though I'm waiting for confirmation from users here), but there's no indication that the metering problem has been addressed.

Any news on this front?

12. Starkenburg

Starkenburg New Member

Keylock Sync issue seems fixed with 3.02 update.

But yeah this metering thing needs a fix. Going on what you folks said, I'll trust the S8's meters and ignore TP3's for now....

13. Scoox

Scoox NI Product Owner

With open mappings this would be a piece of cake for users to fix themselves.

14. alexbnieto

alexbnieto NI Product Owner

howso???

15. Scoox

Scoox NI Product Owner

Assuming the level meters are MIDI mappable, you can use the LED Options (Controller Range, Midi Range) to map LED level meters, I've done it with the LED rings of my Midi Fighter Twister. For more details on how this is done, see this.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. mrk2013

mrk2013 NI Product Owner

2.5 months since the OP and the meters are still unreliable.

• Like Like x 1
  17. boysteve

Yah, I'd've thought this wouldn't be a major fix. NI has stressed that the S5 & S8 will retain compatibility. I hope it really is a priority.

18. boysteve

So we have an announcement of T3.1, and NI is adding functionality and enhancements, and there's still no word about the legacy controller support they've assured will be maintained. Does anybody know if the metering bug will be addressed in an upcoming release? Karlos Santos seemed to feel pretty sure this would be resolved.

19. Nick Moon

Nick Moon NI Product Owner

20. boysteve

Hi, Karlos, is there any news on whether this metering issue will be resolved by NI? I had really hoped they were serious about maintaining support for their relatively recent legacy gear. They don't currently offer a controller without a jog wheel, so upgrading isn't in the picture for me either.

Any info is appreciated, and thanks!