Pro-53 + Windows 10

Discussion in 'PRO-53' started by Packo Gualandris, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Packo Gualandris

Packo Gualandris New Member

Hello NI-Community :)

I recently upgraded my system from Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit to Windows 10 Pro. Since then the Pro-53 won't open at all. Anybody else has this same problem and maybe knows a workaround to this, I really would like to continue this synth, thanks.

Packo

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Tried W7 compatibility mode for the standalone EXE?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Packo Gualandris

Hi and thanks for the reply.
    Yes I tried different compatibility modes, no success.
    At the task manager it shows up using a lot of CPU and the more I try to open it, the more it shows up there (see screenshot)

Attached Files:

4. John Sammons

John Sammons New Member

Hi

I upgraded to Widows 10 from Windows 7.
    Pro53 would not open In Sonar anymore (the latest version)
    I tried uninstalling Pro 53 and It would not.
    A problem with the UNWISE UNINSTALLER EXE.
    I eventually had to sweep the program out with a uninstaller program.
    Everything was activated in the service centre all green.
    I do have Pro53 from the original box purchased way back and when I load up and put the codes in,It works perfectly well in Win 10.
    If I then try to update to the latest version 3,It will not install.An Information box tells you just that.
    That Is about that
    I have informed Native ,but all I got back was that It was to be discontinued.
    I paid £110 for that Vst and no loyalty to customers "What"!!!!
    At the very least native should make Pro 53 compatible before abandoning the ship.
    For those who have the original disc and code ,It works perfectly In win 10.
    I think the updates from 1 to 3 are minimal.3 looks better to me Gui wise.

Come on we need more fuss to get this sorted

5. EvilDragon

Discontinued means "no more support and updates". If a newer OS gets out when the product is discontinued, you can expect no update to support that newer OS. That's how things work.

No amount of "fuss" will get this sorted. It's discontinued. No more updates. Live with it, or don't use W10.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  6. John Sammons

John Sammons New Member

That Is typical of today's business generation "NO LOYALTY TO THE CUSTOMER"
    The pro 53 is one of your best Synths along with Fm8
    I would think people would pay for a final update for Win 10.
    Would not be that difficult for a programmer!!
    Lets have less flashing Lights and Lego brick sample tablets which Is destroying music and more for the musician
    Bring back Emerson Lake and Palmer,or have they been deleted!!!???
    Oh well again ,I suppose all the samples from Pro 53 will be extracted and put In Kontact and then charge the customer all over again for the same product.

All the best
    Lone Wolf

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  7. EvilDragon

You seem unable to grasp the concept of discontinuation of support. Pro-53 is one of earliest NI software, and it has enjoyed loyalty to the customers for a long time. But the codebase was old, NI pushed forward with new technologies and it was not worth involving manhours into completely recoding Pro-53, B4-II, Vokator, Spektral Delay to fit in the new codebase, so they discontinued it. That's how it goes. NI is not the first nor the only company who has ever discontinued something.

8. Packo Gualandris

I bought it not so long ago with Komplete so for me as a user not having it since the stone age it's not cool to not be able to use it now.
    And the argument that other companies do the same is not an excuse for NI but just the proof that those other companies are not better...

9. EvilDragon

Well, you bought into a product that has already been discontinued (especially within an old version of Komplete) - you did that at your own risk, practically asking for trouble. NI doesn't owe you anything after a product has been discontinued.

Would you buy a car that doesn't have support and available spare parts? No. So why would you buy discontinued software?

10. jonsolo

jonsolo Member

I don't have an answer to your problem However, I can verify that I have Pro-53 working just fine on Windows 10, upgraded from 8.1, upgraded from 7.

Oh, and I just installed it after upgrading to Windows 10.

11. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

You may as well forget it, John (apart from your last point - I can see that happening). If it doesn't flash like a disco ball or lend itself to music by numbers, NI are not interested. NI fans will tell you to 'live with it'. And they'll continue to tell you to 'live with it' until something close to their hearts is ditched.

Rather than 'living with it' might I suggest that the Arturia Prophet is rather neat. Unless, of course, NI's involvement with them has buggered that too - I'm fully expecting my Arturia products to start misbehaving in Kore and the Akai Advance.

12. ..devin..

..devin.. NI Product Owner

Which version do you have installed?

I am trying to run 3.0.4.2 on Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  13. John Sammons

John Sammons New Member

Hi
    Evil Dragon Is just like those people you get In Human Resources.
    No sympathy ,just a robotic replies read from a company script.
    Company Directive--Do not like question ,just repeat like an old fashioned tape deck.
    This is the new world I am afraid and It Is getting worse.
    I would have thought that Native would have tried to find an answer for their Loyal customers.

Ok --If you want Pro 53 to work In Windows 10,Use the first official download with the code either In the manual or download.
    I have Pro 53 in box form with Cd and manuall!!
    Do not update It .The updates were only minor anyway .
    Do not under any circumstances update In the Service Centre,just untick.
    So much for old coding and hours of work.I know nothing about program coding!!
    I bungle my way to the solution

It works a treat In windows 10--just do not update It at all BINGO!!!
    I have found that Focusrite will bend over backwards to help you and their customer service.
    I am fed up with these flashing light wave repeater boxes that turn musicians Into dumbo's.
    Repetative DJ rubbish that anyone can manipulate and all sound like a kids wind up toy's /Kareoke!! "That Is my rant over" "I feel better for getting that off my chest .
    "I am an old Rick Wakeman fan and a curmudgeoner!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  14. Keir @ NI

Keir @ NI Community, man NI Team

I just want to point out Evil Dragon is a fan of music tech and production who just happens to spend a lot of his spare time trying to help out other users - but if a product is discontinued there's not much he, as a volunteer doing this in his spare time, is able to do - so I just wanted to stick up for him a bit.

But thanks for posting back with your solution. And I'm sorry you're experiencing problems with Pro 53, you're not alone; it remains very popular. Sadly, I don't have any news on the re-continuation of support or a new version and in this case, no news isn't good news. I'm pleased you got it up and running again.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ..devin..

Cheers I will try that and report if it worked for me too.

16. ..devin..

Sadly this did not work for me.

17. smoddelm

smoddelm NI Product Owner

OK, so I originally owned Pro-52. I have an upgrade file from 52 to 53, and then the various 53 updates (3.0.2 and 3.0.4) - standalone. But since you could install 3.0.2 and 3.0.4 in Win 7 and Win 8, I made the stupid mistake of tossing my 52 disc - it just seemed to be taking up space. Any idea how I could get an original 53 full installation file? I have, of course, my registration info to register it once I install.

18. smoddelm

And if I try to install from 3.0.2, it does let that install (asking for my Pro 53 serial number which I provide), but then it asks for the "mystery file" when I try to run it. I think that was an element of Pro-52 protection wasn't it? Plus, Pro-53 now shows up as registered software in Service Center and the "Update" tab gives me to option to update to 3.0.4. So I'm registered, it's installed, but I still can't use it.

19. smoddelm

And by the way, I did contract NI support when I first installed Win10 and was told all sorts of things - that the product would not work in windows 10, etc.

20. smoddelm

I solved my problem. Found the old computer it was originally on in storage. Copied the "mystery file" - and several other needed files - from it to my new computer. Installed the 3.0.2 version, installer for which I had on my hard drive, then copied the mystery file and other files to the installation directory. All now works fine.

Did raise an interesting question in my mind: with authentication now being an online process, if anything ever happened to NI, or any other software company that uses remote / online authentication, does our software just die when the computer it's currently on is replaced? I mean, if NI for example went out of business and I subsequently had to replace my computer, how would I authenticate my license?