Program Changes (and/or bank select) messages

Discussion in 'KOMPAKT' started by BZ-man, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BZ-man

BZ-man NI Product Owner

Hi all,

does anyone know if KOMPAKT support "Program Change" messages so you could select a different "sample"in an instrument?

I recently bought KOMPAKT, and starting to regret it, since it is so limited in its midi implementation.
    All fader/rotaries are implemented, but non of the button or "select out of list" functions. And it's bloody hard work getting it inplemented on e.g. Cubase via midi remote ...
    I've nearly finished one for the BCR2000.

2. Cyril Blanc

Cyril Blanc NI Product Owner

If you had Logic it was possible to do it in the Environment

Best

Cyril

3. BZ-man

BZ-man NI Product Owner

Hi Cyril,

what do you send to get the changes to work. I have a nasty feeling Kompakt does not listen to them ...

4. Cyril Blanc

Cyril Blanc NI Product Owner

if you do not use Logic you cannot buid an environment that will obey to program changes.
    what I did is that :

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Using program changes instead of key switches with QLSO and Logic

Now there is a QLSO player and a Kontakt player of the demonstration version
    Each percussion instrument are mapped so you do not need to read the manual to find out the articulation you need

What does it do :
    - Instead of entering articulation changes with a note you use a program changes
    - You do not have to remember the articulation names as they appear i the Logic instrument
    - The Score are not showing the Articulation notes
    - Volume control (CC#7) is converted to CC#11 so you can control each instrument of the Kontakt multi
    - Pan (CC#10) is filtered so it does not change the panning of the Kontakt multi
    - GM program changes (Staccato,Legato and Pizz) are converted automatically to articulation changes
    - The demo version only includes the Solo violin and the Solo Cello
    - The full version include all the instruments of the orchestra (see at the end of the manual)
    - The percussion are mapped so you do not need to read the manual to find out the articulation you need

If you want to use the QLSO with the Kontakt player please download:
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyril.blanc/progqlso.zip

If you want to use the QLSO player (SO....) please download :
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyril.blanc/progqlsokompakt.zip

Try it and send me your comments

To have more details read the full documentation in the zip file

5. wwwww

wwwww NI Product Owner

Anybody else with a clear answer to this question? One of my big ones too... how change instruments under midi control? Or do you have to hold onto a track for each loaded instrument forever? Or use keyswitches only?

6. Mallory

Mallory NI Product Owner

I'm currently working on a little program to implement instrument selection via MIDI program change in Kompakt - more of a hack really - but initially I will use it to browse all the sounds without all that tedious clicking and dragging.

7. BZ-man

BZ-man NI Product Owner

Mallory,

I would be really greatful if you could share that with me.

BZ-man

8. Mallory

Mallory NI Product Owner

Well I managed to get that program to the stage where I was able to map 3 custom MIDI controller messages to "next", "previous" and "load" functions which then, in actuality, sent mouseclick messages to the Kompakt window.

The result is I was able to browse through all the sounds in Vapor without taking my hands off my MIDI controller keyboard.

Requirements:
    1) The program runs only on Windows 9x/2K/XP (only tested on XP).
    2) You are required to have the Kompakt interface visible on screen while running this program.
    3) You will need to install a MIDI loopthru driver, I use LoopBe1 from www.nerds.de
    4) You need a programmable MIDI controller keyboard that can send any arbitrary MIDI Control Change message in response to a button or keypress.
    5) You need to know where on your system your Kompakt instrument stores its "Instruments" (.nki) and "Multis" (.nkm) files
    6) I have only tested it with Vapor, since that is the only Kompakt instrument I have. Vapor has all its instruments organised into subfolders - this may be important.

I did have plans to allow association of MIDI Program Change messages with particular Instruments but this is not fully implemented yet.

I don't have an installer for this program, but if you have some experience with "registering" ocxs it will be relatively straightforward to get running.

But first, what do you make of the above 'requirements' ?

9. SergeD

SergeD Forum Member

Mallory,

I'm curious to know which software is used for your program. I've made something with VB.NET using ID process and sendkeys and would like to reprogram it with a different software.

SergeD

10. Mallory

Mallory NI Product Owner

Visual Basic 6 believe it or not. Not that speed is an issue anyway since it merely 'waits' for [events generated by] incoming MIDI messages and then sends mouseclick messages to the Kompakt window.

I would have used .net but for the fact that it doesn't provide native access to the MIDI api, nor the kind of low-level windows user-interface calls I needed.

11. SergeD

SergeD Forum Member

Thanks for the info,

SergeD

12. matza

matza NI Product Owner

Hi guys,
    Even though this was a while since you posted, I'm really interested in your utilities that would allow me to change the instrument in Vapor without having to open the menues. Next - Previous- Load; just perfect. I found a list with control messages for the different knobs, but the instrument selection was not included.
    Can you share your SW, please?

Thanks a lot!

/Mats

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.