1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Solved Project could not be saved / crash (2.9.1 & 2.9.2)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Hit-Man, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Et_Voila

Et_Voila NI Product Owner

Same. Once in a while, more often than I would like to...Never understood why and how to get rid of this issue : It just disapear after re launching the software usually, if not, the whole computer :/ (Not everyday but, I've seen this, after extensive use...)

2. SluggishDruggish

SluggishDruggish New Member

So I believe it was because I copy and pasted an entire group which had some samples I ripped off my iPad. I opened another project and recreated the problem by doing the aforementioned task. No biggie if that’s all it is, I can work around that. Just hoping the encoder knobs stay on! I’ll be monitoring my projects and won’t be copying my groups anymore.

3. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

D-One : can you please inform NI about this? it seems more and more obvious that maschine seems to struggle with managing "own samples" (managing = using them, sampling, chopping, assignin to pads, move stuff around and so on). every single time i had this "can not save error" my project involved bigger chunks of audio (mostly 16 bar recordings of me "blablabla" into the microfon), chopping them up after...

it seems this error message is somehow "memory management related". last time i got the error I checked if I ran out of RAM: but no, still enough left...

4. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

All I can really do is file a bug report in the Beta, I do it often but I have to be able to reproduce it, no reproduction = no acknowledgment.
    This happened to me a while back and after trying a save-as the app crashed, in the case of a crash a log is generated so I sent the log to NI and they officially logged the issue, hopefully that helps... There's no way to know if the cause for the error is the same for all of us or not, or even if some of the causes since this thread was created were fixed.

b-righteous shared the best tip on how to deal with it, just save all the Groups individually first so the project can be rebuilt, then try a save-as with a different project name.

The way Maschine deals with errors is really annoying, it's always a generic message "plugin cant load" or "project cant be saved" without any other info, at the very least in a worst-case scenario there should be error codes when it's caused by certain conditions, a lot of software does this.
    If the plugin can't be loaded because of a dependency like Kontakt or Reaktor not being installed it should either say so or provide a "plugin cant be load - error 345" so people could research the error.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Asomani Samuel

Asomani Samuel New Member

Can't NI tell us why this is happening and the solution. This issue is so annoying.

6. DBMC

DBMC NI Product Owner

I've been able to consistently reproduce the "Project Could Not be Saved" issue. I have been switching audio loops from Audio plug-in to Sampler plug-in after time shifting/stretch, slicing, etc... I try to save and get the error. If I switch back to Audio, I am able to save the project. The audi file isn't that large. There are some creative things that you can do working this way, but if you are doing this be careful.

7. krizzbee

krizzbee New Member

I`m now also able to reproduce this issue:
    1. new project
    2. save as ...(the empty project)
    3. load loop in audio plugin
    4. switch to sampler
    5. put a midi note
    6. save---> error or crash
    sometimes it happens instantly sometime i have to remove the midi not first again, very strange.

BUT: all this does not happen, when i remove the loop after step 3 (not emptying the slot, just click the wave and remove, like you remove a midi note)

anyone else?

i have the current maschine version plus OS Catalina, will try it also with Mojave.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

What loop, what audio plugin? When did you add the sampler and on which pad?

If you want to provide solid proof on how to reproduce a bug then please make it obvious what you're doing by describing your steps in detail, enough detail that everyone can try them without having to assume some of the stuff you did.

(edit): Also missing is if you did this from the controller or behind the PC, and did you record or simply played a MIDI note?

Alas, here's what I did:
    • Loaded Maschine in my DAW, and immediately saved the (empty) project.
    • Loaded a random loop onto pad one (this automatically loads the audio plugin).
    • Switched to Sampler by clicking the icon.
    • Played a MIDI note on the controller.
    • Used "File -> Save". No crash.
    I also tried these steps from the controller, no crash.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  9. krizzbee

krizzbee New Member

since you don`t have this issue there is no way you need to be so frustrated. and you pretty much understood my steps, as you copied the exact same process.
    but ok as additional information:
    i just used the pc, i clicked the midi note with the trackpad in, just a random loop (the internal audioplugin opens), i used pad 1, then i switched to internal sampler via the menu.
    want me to screen record it?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

I'm not frustrated, I'm simply trying to help you create better bug reports.

Fully understanding the steps can be crucial (depending on the bug). Also because support usually gets tons of these kind of reports, so it's not uncommon to simply ignore the ones they can't easily reproduce because it could end up as a potential waste of time otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
  11. krizzbee

krizzbee New Member

well, neighter do i fully understand your steps. so let`s wait for someone being able to make a bulletproof bug report.

12. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yes. If I remove the MIDI note and try to save again it crashes. Thanks for the reproductions steps.
    Happens both in Mojave and Catalina.
    Tagged as Bug.

FYI: The next version being beta tested at the moment doesn't have this issue anymore, this means that once it's released it's almost guaranteed for the issue to be fixed, so... For now, just wait for the next update.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bruno @ NI

Bruno @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi everybody.
    Thanks for reporting this, the bug is logged with high priority on NI side.

• Like Like x 3
  14. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

My 2 cents.
    (2.9.1 (r4))

Everything goes well up to step 6.
    After deleting the note, I get the message that the project cannot be saved.
    Maschine software does not crash, just remains on screen.

Edit: Also happened to me in the beta (build) version!

René

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  15. Howl

Howl NI Product Owner

i encountered this error just now.. and the steps, yes, that was the problem it seems now.

16. nicoxnoise

nicoxnoise New Member

I get exactly the same error when recording sample and switching from internal sampler plug-in to internal audio plug-in, and if i switch back to sampler, i am able to save the project, the other way around. So ti seems that switching from sampler/audio or audio/sampler cause the bug

17. Howl

Howl NI Product Owner

that seems also my intuition. because in the project i worked, i switched a lot. i couldn't save it anymore, it is annoying, but it was a basic thing i was doing, so i can do it again, but if saving becomes a problem... and i use maschine mainly for my own samples, to make songs within maschine, so changing to audio or sampler is important, to achieve what i want.

18. krizzbee

krizzbee New Member

unfortunately i sooner or later always get to the point in a project where it will crash. i don`t really dare no more to save... before we could isolate this problem and reproduce it, i first thought its my setup and my (old) configuration. but after resetting two computers with two different interfaces it still happens. i am pretty shure all my crashes have the same reason, probably in switching between sampler and audio plugin. but i`m just wondering: should`t it happen the to a looot of people then and very very often? why is this an issue since quite a few weeks, it really has made me thinking of using another software, at least it has broken a part of my love for it...

19. tymes2

tymes2 NI Product Owner

Hi all! Installed the latest update(s) yesterday hoping to get rid of sudden crashes and the dreaded 'project could not be saved' (PCNBS). Unfortunately not successful. Had a complete crash upon saving, and just now got the PCNBS. With this project, I decided to edit a kick drum pattern after successfully saving it. Editing consisted of some MIDI notes being deleted as well as altered in pitch. Could not save it... like I said, saved without problems maybe five minutes earlier, and the only thing I did in these following minutes was MIDI editing. Sadly, the update didn't really fix the issue.

20. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I find it very odd that I've never had this error, considering how much I use Maschine..