Question on scenes/snapshots when using Maschine inside of Ableton

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by RustyBumpkin, Aug 15, 2019.

1. RustyBumpkin

RustyBumpkin New Member

Hi all,

My Problem: I'm hitting many limits with what Maschine can do in terms of MIDI

Solution: use Maschine inside Ableton

So, I'm looking at the prices for Ableton intro and standard. Intro is way cheaper but it puts a limit on the number of scenes.

My question is that if Intro only lets me use 8 scenes then could I just use the infinite scenes and snapshots inside Maschine to get around this?

2. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

ofcourse it's allways a pain to "not have enough money / don't want to spend the full money" and thus get an reduced functionality in software.

but ofcourse, the maschine VST will still be usable without any limitation. but if you will be happy with an reduced LIVE Version, i can't comment on. and if the LIVE-limitation will get in your way of "firing Maschine scenes" i don't know either because i don't use LIVE atm...

3. RustyBumpkin

RustyBumpkin New Member

Hopefully someone who has tested this out can chip in.

Maybe I could drop an email to Ableton CS?

4. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

what about you try the demo and "artificially" limit yourself to max. 8 scenes in LIVE. you then could judge yourself if this limitation would be of any "real limitation to you" when using Maschine VST inside it.

here's the link to the demo: https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/

5. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

Live Intro may be able to solve your midi problem with Maschine, if you could specify it a bit. You could send eight midi tracks into Maschine - that's not a lot. However it may be enough for the crucial parts of your arrangement and the rest could be done in Maschine (extending your number of tracks).

I'm actually a big believer in doing everything concerning midi inside of Maschine to keep the hardware workflow and extend Maschine via the possibilities of a DAW. In this scenario Live Intro allows you only to have eight scenes in its Session View, though, but you can trigger (supposably) up to 128 Maschine scenes in LIve's arrangement vies (either via key-switches or program changes. Maschine's Idea View is replacing Live's Session View in this use case. Here's a link with a little helper from a few years back (incl. a Live/Maschine demo project) - hope, that helps or may give yu some new ideas:

https://www.native-instruments.com/...e-9-some-tips-needed-plz.274047/#post-1485677

6. RustyBumpkin

RustyBumpkin New Member

@Locham

Thanks for the link, I'm not sure if I get it 100% without seeing an example on front of me but the general gist of it is the same as mine.

To try and be more specific, I'm using a ton of external gear, 7 midi controllers, and several audio processors with midi capability. Things like Maschines all-global CC, midi plugins (arps) being useless, the lack of aftertouch, are all obstacles to what I want to do.

I could just ditch Maschine but I've yet to find anything else that matches the speed in which I can create synth tracks and grooves inside Maschine standalone.

Other people in the band also want to contribute to programming and I've found out about Ableton link which would sync us up as well as our lighting. It just seems like a really useful tool, but I just don't have £500 to blow on VSTs I don't need if that makes sense?

7. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...that makes sense. I was only refering to a 100% in the box scenario and I'm not using maschine with external gear, so I can't comment on that. But I know about a midi output bug on PC and Maschine doesn't allow plug-ins to transfer midi, so arp plug-ins etc won't indeed work.

So you could sync Maschine and Live via Ableton Link and a copy of Live Lite might be easy to get - usually a fiver on kvraudio. Perhaps there you'll also find a cheap copy of Intro, if you'd need 16 midi tracks.