QUICK TIP: Browsing sounds by plugin

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Josh @ NI, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh @ NI

Josh @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hello all,

I've decided to start doing two types of tips in the forums -- the normal tech tips, plus little hints of advice which I will call "Quick Tips." Sometimes you just need a simple reminder, not a complete article...

So, to browse sounds by a particular plugin, you have 3 options:

1) Right-click / ctl-click on one of the column headers in the Attributes section, and expose the "Path" column. This allows you to browse the factory content of a given instrument (i.e. the factory sounds that shipped with that intrument).

-or-

2) Right-click / ctl-click on one of the column headers in the Attributes section, and expose the "Plugin" column. This will allow you to browse all the sounds that use that particular instrument or effect in any way, whether exclusivley or as part of a multisound.

-or-

3) Type the name of the instrument in the search field :cool:

2. kk100

kk100 NI Product Owner

What if you sort by bank?

3. Josh @ NI

You can definitely do that, although that will return more specific results than plugin alone. For example, I have a lot of sounds from prior versions of Komplete installed, plus additional (old school!) soundbanks. So if I am looking for Absynth and I sort by bank, I see Absynth's sounds broken out by these prior versions and soundbank names instead of just "all sounds in Absynth." This would force me to be more specific when I am trying to be more general ;)

4. brightsparc

brightsparc New Member

Hi,

I have kore 2 running as plugin within ableton live, and the search field doesn't allow my to type into it.

It works fine when in stand alone mode, or even when clicking edit and selecting sounds within individual plugins.

Is this a bug, or is there any configuration setting I am missing?

Thanks,
    Julian.

5. Josh @ NI

Hi Julian -- this is specific to the Windows version. Ableton offered an explanation in their 7.0.2 release notes as follows:

Windows only: If the DebugOption “-_EnsureKeyMessagesForPlugins” is set in the
    Options.txt, we make sure that all key messages reach a plugin’s window in front. That
    way, edit fields are again editable in the NI VST plug-ins. On the downside, key
    messages do not reach Live anymore as soon as some objects in the window of the VST
    plug-in are selected. Thus, for example, once an edit field has been edited, Live’s
    playback cannot be started via Space until Live’s main window regains focus.​

In other words, go to your Ableton Preferences folder (search for this, note that the folder will likely be in a hidden directory by default) and in it create a file called Options.txt. Add the above flag to it (-_EnsureKeyMessagesForPlugins) and then it should work fine. There are a number of places on the internet you can find more info if you have trouble (search Google for _EnsureKeyMessagesForPlugins).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.