RAUM: no .exe file

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by Will1883, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

Hello All,
    I have resolved my issue, and I thank everyone for their help. I would delete this thread but I cannot figure out how. Responses are no longer needed and I will absolutely check in with this community in the future to see if I can help anyone with anything or if I have any further issues. Thank you all for your time!

Original Post:
    I am fairly new to the suite of products offered by NI, and so far I am thoroughly enjoying GR5 and I have been toying around with Komplete Kontrol. However, my issue is that I also have RAUM (most of the products I have are full versions) and the application itself is nowhere to be found. It is installed according to NA. The DLL's, documentation, read-me's etc. are all there for all the products including RAUM but RAUM is missing the application itself in entirety. I have looked everywhere to find it (including public folders as I noticed there are components of NI, Reaktor, Micro Prism, TRK-01 Bass etc. in the public documents) and I have also re-installed it twice, it is a full-version and I have the serial numbers but there is no way for me to use the program because the application is non-existent. In my C:>Program Files>Native Instruments>RAUM, there is only the Documentation folder and the D3D folder which upon further digging do not contain the application. I am on a Windows 10 gaming rig which by far surpasses the required specs necessary to run the products within the suite. Everything else works great except RAUM is missing a vital element. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated as I am dying to try RAUM!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  2. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

RAUM is a so called vst audio effect, which so much means that it's a plugin which can be used in environments that support VST's.

By default it's to be found in: C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit

3. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

Hello ShelLuser,
    I did find those as well, so in other words, I need to get another program besides the ones I already have from NI to use it? If not, then which program do I need to focus my efforts on in learning how to load it? Here is the shot of what I have. Thank you for helping me out! programs.jpg

4. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

In what manner are you thinking of using RAUM? You can load it as an effect in Komplete Kontrol to add reverb to an instrument (Kontakt, TRK -01 etc) so I would take a look at Komplete Kontrol to start off and get an understanding of how that works.

Peace,

Blindeddie

5. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

Allright, I got it figured out. Thank you for your time, I finally had more time to sit down and do some digging and get things figured out. Basically I got this package to create music with my guitar, and when the offer was made for the RAUM, I had no idea that they were offering something that I could not use with any of the current programs that I have from NI. So I am off to find an environment to run it in. THank you for your time and IA am sorry to have bothered you all!

6. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

I was looking to use it as a standalone component as the pictures suggest as opposed to just an effect added into Kontrol. Thank you! I did too, I just got finished going through the documentation on the items that I have. I appreciate you taking the time out to answer my question though!

7. Blindeddie

Unfortunately RAUM is not a Standalone App and must be hosted in another app. You never know, if you ever get a DAW to do Audio recording, RAUM and the other VSTs may come in handy... and if you are possibly considering a DAW, I would check out:

Cakewalk By BandLab (Free)

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

and Reaper (inexpensive)

https://www.reaper.fm/

Both are great programs and there are lots of instructional vids on YouTube that can make things a bit easier.

And asking questions is no bother...

Peace,

Blindeddie

8. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

Hi Blindeddie, I didn't get the words out right lol. What I meant by standalone was the ability to have the actual GUI for RAUM available so I could adjust the knobs as opposed to a drop-down list for example with sliders. The other products I have you basically doubleclick the executable and I was under the impression that RAUM was the same way. I am still going at it, been at it for hours because although I am a tech geek/poweruser/infosec industry this is honestly my first experience with using any type of software like this in regard to music/editing/live recording/sampling etc. using my PC.
    So it is a whole new rabbit hole I finally stepped into being as this is something I have been wanting to do since the days of recording myself on the cassette recorder and trying to play multiple cassette decks with different tracks that I made and manage to feed them all to one receiver to record a final copy which involved plenty of wire splicing and electrical tape! (those were the days). I am finding this to be a good learning experience and I skimmed through your links but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly go through them but I did successfully figure out how to load plugins into Komplete Kontrol and that includes the plugins from GR5 and RAUM and I was ecstatic to see that feeding the RAUM plugin into Komplete, the RAM GUI is available and it is what I was originally trying to accomplish. However, reaper and cakewalk look like awesome programs (very thorough and full featured) and investigating them is my next step, once I figure out how to get my guitar signal to live-feed into Komplete Kontrol being as it is analog and not MIDI and I am feeding it through my PC. With the GR5 it was very simple basically plug and play/adjust and I am wondering if by loading those plugins if it will be that simple as well. That is the step I am at right now (this has literally been an all day affair for me because I am determined to get things working like I want them to), I have the plugins loaded into Komplete and I am trying to figure out how to get the sound in, sample it and then start screwing around with it. Regardless if I can get it to work or not, I have got the bug after checking out some of the recommendations and I believe I will be getting a DAW regardless if I can make this work or not because I saw some features that really caught my eye. I am a complete newb in this area but I am learning fast and you guys have been very helpful tonight. I also did watch a couple of youtube videos as well and I was amazed and it made me think that maybe I should have taken a different career path... Music has always been in my blood since Mom used to play the guitar at night to put me to sleep and so has Information Security. Now that I finally earned my bachelor's, I have a little free time to enjoy before I get snatched up into a full blown career while I am working on some entry level certifications in the process. I also noted something about software programs to change your guitar's analog signal to MIDI which would probably simplify some things but I will get it figured out and I will absolutely as more questions as I run across them. Thank you guys for all the help!

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShelLuser

I can't respond in the way I want (or normally would) because I'm on my laptop atm and... it works but it's not ideal for this. I'll fill in any blanks this evening when Im back home.

No bother at all and most certainly no reason for an excuse. We've all been new and this setup can be confusing (and maybe even overwhelming) at first.

I don't use komplete kontrol myself (mostly Maschine) but afaik you can do just this within kontrol. Loading in the effect would get you the interface, where you have to turn knobs and such to make it work.

Is it possible you need to look somewhere else (I'll try & test when I;m home)? See... in Maschine I can add Raum and then I get a custom 'Maschine interface' which shows me some sliders and knobs and stuff to get access, but it's not really Raum. That interface only shows up once I opened the mixer section.

I have no idea how this works in Kontrol, (yet) but figured I'd share.

That is good to hear! :)

hehehe, this brings back so many good memories! :cool:

The short version for now... (sorry, this keyboard is pretty solid, but it's not like my Cherry at home where I can pretty much type blindly)... the keyword here is audio interface. I'm kinda hooked on the Komplete audio series but there are plenty of high quality others around. Heck, even an "El cheapo" usb soundcard could help out here (sorta). Thing is: you hook your guitar onto your audio interface and then tell your DAW (reaper, cakewalk, etc.) to add an audio track and that it should grab the input from your audio interface (to which your guitar is connected). Hit record, start playing, wham... you now digitized your audio signal!

Longer version later!

• Like Like x 1
  10. ShelLuser

A promise is a promise and makes debt! :D

In the mean time I'm back home, sitting behind my PC in my home studio (slowly but steadily getting in my "synth mood") and thus it's time for part 2....

Sit back & relax while uncle Shell takes you through some basic aspects of sound synthesis... :rolleyes:

I apologize if my story becomes too broad or covers stuff you already know or found out but ey, as mentioned I'm in the mood, your story really brought back awesome memories from when I started (now an easy 10 years ago) and I still remember how much I struggled with getting my fingers behind some basics. See... a lot of guides out there were written with a certain expectation of the author that the audience was already familiar with specific basics. And the guides which do cover those basics often try to smear it out into ridiculous proportions which make you want to skip & fast forward, but you're afraid too in order not to accidentally skip important details. And on that note, note to myself: less blabbering :D

DAW's

When talking about stuff like Reaper, Cakewalk then we're actually talking about DAW's. Digital Audio Workstations. They all have their own unique workflow and setups, but they also follow global standards. For starters: all provide support for tracks which can contain musical data. Data which is usually made up of 2 types: audio & midi. As such: A DAW usually gives you access to audio & midi tracks which can contain such data.

Although part of the DAW itself we actually have a name for the area or section that contain these data types: a sequencer. Sequencers come in all forms and shapes but - generally speaking - they all provide tracks which can contain either audio or midi.

upload_2020-1-23_19-29-25.png

Here is the de-facto DAW I always use: Live. As you can see I have 2 tracks, one contains a audio data (mp3 file I dragged in) and the other some blocks, which actually represents MIDI data. My gf excels at playing 'Sakura' but I don't so I kept my MIDI clip short (the example is all which counts anyway).

Audio

Now, audio should be simple enough.. as I said: I simply dragged in an audio file and wham. You can "digitize" audio by sampling it. The name 'sampling' comes from the concept of digital data consisting of only zero's and one's ("binary data"). So you're literally cutting up your data into small parts.

I already mentioned it above... A (digital) audio interface is basically all you need.

upload_2020-1-23_19-36-38.png

This is my personal pride: the Komplete Audio 6. Only shown for example purposes, as I also mentioned earlier: there are plenty of good quality audio interfaces available, this is simply my personal favorite and thus it shows up in my post (what a coincidence! :p). The concept is simple: this interface is connected to my PC using USB. And I can connect audio inputs using those connectors. Those two round holes on the left? Multi purpose. They can be used to hook up specific electric instruments as well as your standard 6.35mm / 1/4" TRS connector.

Meaning? I sent (analog) audio into my audio interface, it samples it and then sends this (now digital) audio signal into my PC using USB. When using a DAW which supports all this I can tell my DAW to monitor my interface for incoming audio and record it into the sequencer.

But what about MIDI you may wonder...

MIDI

When you hit a key on your keyboard then 3 things will immediately matter.. which key you pressed (the note, which also accounts for pitch), how hard you hit it (the velocity, which also accounts for loudness) and finally how long you pressed it (duration, which accounts to sustain (sorta)). All these aspects can be stored digitally using MIDI. This is the 'other' basis of a sequencer... it can store the way you played your instrument.

Now, I recall you playing guitar.. I have to admit that I assumed electric guitar but ey... I'll stick to acoustic just to be safe. A question I'd be asking myself (and I base this comment on your previous comment about MIDI): what good would this do me?

If you're playing guitar then MIDI wouldn't do squad for you. Heck, if you're playing any regular instrument at all then this applies; you don't need MIDI, you need sampling capabilities first and foremost. But MIDI is still important!

See, I create guitar based music too and for me having MIDI input is key ;)

upload_2020-1-23_20-3-18.png

Here you see the same DAW I showed before (Live) but a different "view". You see the same MIDI clip I showed earlier and this time I also added Kontakt while I have the 'Picked Acoustic' instrument loaded. Kontakt is a so called virtual ("digital") instrument. I input MIDI data, it processes said data and the result is audio, in this case specific guitar sounds.

By hitting a key harder I get a louder guitar note. By hitting a different key my guitar uses a different pitch and finally by keeping a note pressed the sound will play forever (some other factors are involved here as well (cough, envelopes, cough), but let's keep it simple for now) and all that info gets sent into Kontakt by using MIDI.

Basically you can say that MIDI is data which is used to play (virtual) instruments. I put 'virtual' between brackets because you need to be careful here... because this same concept applies to real synthesizers:

[​IMG]
    (picture is courtesy of Wikipedia)​

This is a real instrument, it generates sound. So how do you think you can tell it to 'do' something? Well... feeding it MIDI data would be a good starting point ;)

Komplete

So how does this translate back to Komplete & RAUM?

Well, I already showed you an example above... Komplete is basically a set of virtual instruments and effects which can sometimes be used stand alone (Kontakt, Absynth 5, Reaktor <insert drooling smiley here>) and sometimes only within other environments (like RAUM).

Which brings us to VST's....

What do Ableton Live (= DAW), Reason (= DAW), Max (= Visual programming language, specifically used for multimedia) and Maschine (= "DAW alike interface") all have in common? Note: when addressing Maschine I am talking about the software, not the controller.

Answer: they all support the VST standard.

VST ("Virtual Studio Technology") is a standard designed by Steinberg and it's adopted by pretty much all DAW's on the market. It allows a DAW to use 3rd party instruments and effects within the main environment. Komplete also heavily relies on this concept... some of its programs are also usable stand alone (as you found out yourself) but all of them are available using this VST standard:

upload_2020-1-23_20-37-0.png

So here's something I'll bet you'll hardly recognize :cool:

This is 'Reason', another DAW I heavily favor. Reason is nothing like any traditional DAW's you may be familiar with, especially because it mimics a 19" rack to put in your devices. I am pretty certain that you'll recognize RAUM though. The keyword here is VST. While Reason is unlike anything else, it still supports the VST standard which allows it to use 3rd party instruments & effects, stuff like Kontakt & RAUM.

If you look at the bottom of the screenshot above you'll also notice a bar called "sequencer", that's because Reason is actually 3 things rolled into one: a sequencer (hidden), a virtual 19" rack to place & connect devices (shown) and finally a mixer section (also hidden, see bar on top).

This also brings us back to DAW's again....

If you want to work with digital musical data such as sampled audio or MIDI then you need a DAW. Komplete Kontrol is not a DAW as such you won't be able to 'do' anything else with it other than play some virtual instruments (normally using a midi controller).

Software like RAUM are VST effects, meaning that they can only be used within environments that support the VST standard. Most DAW's do but obviously NI's own software also supports its own standards ;) But VST's come in all shapes and sizes.. I can highly recommend looking into the TAL plugin section, some of their instruments & effects can even be used fully free of charge! (and for the record: just because it's free doesn't mean it's "meh", this is high quality stuff).

And there you have it....

I hope I didn't lose track too much (had a few drinks in the mean time) but I do hope this should clear up some of those basic aspects. If not: don't hesitate to ask! And in case you're wondering: I am honestly passionate about this stuff. Been like that for 10 years now and yah, sometimes you just want to share :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

Hello ShelLuser,

First off, I would like to thank you for taking the time out for such an informative post. I am a completely new to these things, so I did find your post very helpful. I apologize for not getting back to this thread sooner but RL got in the way again lol. As far as guitar goes, I do play both electric and acoustic, as well as having a contact mic for the acoustic, but I rarely have a need to use it. When I was younger, I did take piano lessons, and still thoroughly enjoy listening to it. Some of the stuff people play is hard to believe they are actually doing it even when you are watching it with your own two eyes, such as this YouTube video: Beethoven "Moonlight" Sonata, III "Presto Agitato" Valentina Lisitsa (this woman is talented!).
    Not to get off topic though, I am familiar with keyboards, piano’s, pedals and pressure sensitivity. Plus, back in the day, I had a little Casio keyboard with built in sampling that my brother and I used to play with for hours making all kinds of funny sounds with our voices :p
    You didn’t lose track too much, I am also very chatty after a few cold ones and that is usually when I want to jam out! I did find your post helpful and it helped me realize that I was basically trying to do something that I wouldn’t be able to accomplish because I was starting in the wrong place trying to make things work together that weren't meant to directly work together (I was missing pieces of the puzzle). Now that I have the complete picture and a couple of free days to screw around (and have a few drinks too ;P) I will start with a free DAW and take it from there. Once I get used to the process and flow of things and become familiar with it all, then I can find either a paid version or a good free one with capabilities I need, once I figure out exactly what those needs, and capabilities are. I do like the looks of that Alberton Live, it looks like a very clean and usable interface and I will definitely give that one some consideration as well in addition to the others mentioned in prior posts now that I am gaining an understanding the intricacies involved with working with these types of software.
    Thanks again, you have been more than helpful and I too have been passionate about music and art, I am a Pisces, go figure :) my entire life as well. Mom planted that seed while we were very young. Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

Hey guys! I decided to use Cakewalk and I am loving it. Although there is a steep learning curve for first timers, it is exactly what I needed. Still figuring out the basics and I have not even progressed to the point of using any plugins yet because of some difficulties I am having. For some reason, no matter how I connect my guitar it seems as though I cannot get hardly any volume out of it. Whether I am using mic-in, line-in, just the guitar to the laptop or feeding the guitar through the amp, then into the laptop. Then lo and behold, I discovered a whole new menu in the Realtek audio manager which has a million settings for the microphone and line in inputs, outputs and everything in creation lol. But I did figure out how to record at least and make a track, now I have to figure out the rest of it whilst trying to get the volume louder and to get rid of the noise. It's really noisy, like a cross between humming and hissing and there is also a clicking noise (not the metronome) but I have been researching the issue. I believe it is something related to the power supply from what I discovered and it has to do with ground loop audio interference in addition to there being so much equipment in here (big tv, 3 monitors etc). I also had my Xbox power supply on the floor next to the wire connecting the guitar to the laptop and I think that is what was causing the ticking noise. I am also having what I think is an issue but I am not sure. There seems to be a very short delay between the time a note is played and you can hear it. I read something about that somewhere and there is some setting related to that I believe, further research is needed. Lots to learn to get this thing right but I am excited that I was actually able to record something and manipulate it at all! So given another week I should have all the bugs sorted out and then I can start playing around with all the VST's and the Native Instruments stuff too!

13. Blindeddie

This is called "Latency" it has to do with the time it takes to convert the signal from analog to digital and feed it to your DAW then convert it back and feed it out to your speakers. With the "Built In" Realtek soundcard, there is always a high latency, There are workarounds using "ASIO4ALL" drivers, but for the built in soundcard its not the most Optimal. See the section in ShelLuser's post above regarding Audio...a dedicated audio interface is probably your best option...although a potentially expensive one...

Peace,

Blindeddie

14. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

Hmm, interesting. I might have to switch to the using one of the desktops for this, because I do have a couple of soundcards, laying around and I do have one real good one (back in it's time) but it is old. I am thinking I just might switch to one of the desktops and purchase a good soundcard, one that is specifically designed with tasks like these in mind. I am still in the learning phase but I am serious about being able to make my own music (it has been a lifetime quest) and if a dedicated audio interface is what I need, $1500-$2k is within my budget (would have to use the credit cards for anything more expensive) however I would like to find something cheaper than that. I am in the process of googling (who would have ever thought that "google" would become a verb!) audio interfaces and they do seem affordable. So it looks like I have some decisions to make as to what computer I am going to use and any additional parts/equipment and I will give it a shot with switching up drivers to see if that helps. I will try everything I can on the laptop first bc it is my fav and if that doesn't do the trick, I will switch to one o fhte big machines and get what is needed. Thanks for the tip on the ASIO4ALL drivers, I am definitely going to look into that.

15. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

Here is something else interesting. As with the aforementioned issues, if I turn the volume up loud, I can faintly hear a television show! As to how my guitar is picking this up I have no idea lol. I might just have to build a Farady room lmao! This whole experience is a good learning one and there is definitely a lot more to figure out.

16. Blindeddie

Well when I said expensive, I didn't mean that expensive, especially since you are in the learning phase. Consider a Focusrite like this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sc..._62?keywords=focusrite&qid=1580402243&sr=8-62

Andi if you need Monitor Speakers and or a Microphone etc. there are some bundles that are available for a couple $ more.

Peace,

Blindeddie

17. Blindeddie

That would be RF interference due to unproperly shielded cable cables and or Guitar...being that you are plugging into a laptop, I also assume you are using "Adapters" (1/4 inch to 1/8 inch) to hook up your guitar...that can cause issues as well.

Peace,

Blindeddie

18. Blindeddie

19. Will1883

Will1883 New Member

I am using adapters, and I had no idea that you could actually pick up that sort of interference. New to the audio game but I do understand about crosstalk and interference etc. I am used to these concepts on a computer level but have never used anything from an audio aspect. I learned about that stuff in my networking classes before I earned my BS in ISS. But being as I have never used any audio/composition hardware/software it just didn't occur to me that all of that still applies.

20. Blindeddie

Basically crappy cables and adapters can act as Antennas... and if you live close to a radio station, TV station, Police or Fire department, you pick up all kinds of whacky stuff...

Peace,

Blindeddie